Combing Designs

Decorating By Aster Updated 27 Nov 2006 , 4:34am by kelleym

Aster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aster Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 12:07am
post #1 of 9

Does anyone have links to pictures of different combing designs for the tops of cakes? When I mass produce the 1/4 sheets and 1/2 sheets at work I get tired of the same patterns. I try to come up with new ideas but I really need something to look at first. I am just visual learner I guess. Thanks.

8 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 3:30am
post #2 of 9

try searching for textured wall and ceiling patterns. what designs do you do now? the 1/2 circles? the wavy line to make it look like diamonds? id be interested to see what ones you can do.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 3:48am
post #3 of 9

There is a design I use a lot and it is especially good on a mans cake layer, but works well on a sheet cake too. Ice your cake as smoothly as possible, now, using a long serrated edged bread knife ( my blade is 17" long, but the longest you can find) and holding it in two hands, start just at the back edge of the cake, tilt the knife to a 45 degree angle towards you, with the serrated edge next to the icing, move the knife in wide side to side waves until you get to the front of the cake. When you get to the front edge of the cake stop and lift away. There will be a bit of overhang of icing on the edge, smooth that with an icing spatula. Now for the side. Hold the same serrated knife in both hands , but this time you want the tip of the knife to touch the cakeboard, so you are actually holding the knife upside down, angle it in to the sides of the cake at about a 45 degree angle so the serrated edge is just touching the icing, I work from left to right but whichever way is easiest for you. Make up and down zigzags or waves, this time closer together than on the top design. Watch as you go around the cake to make sure you are keeping the design straight and aren't leaning the knife too much to the left or right. The object is to just have the serrated edge touching the icing but not digging in so far that you expose the cake. Here are two photos. One to show the side and the other the top wave design.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=ShirleyW&cat=0&pos=105http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=ShirleyW&cat=0&pos=86

Aster Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 4:36am
post #4 of 9

I only have this one pic that I can find. You can sort of see two different designs. I can do other similar to that waves etc. I also do cross hatching. I comb lines in one direction across the whole cake and then very lightly in the other direction. Today in a really cool grocery store called central market, I saw a really neat idea. They had lines one way in the center framed by opposite lines with a shell like pattern on opposite corners. I thought I would like to start doing differeft comb patterns like that.
LL

sweetcakes Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 9

thats a very nice comb design, can you explain how you made it.

Aster Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 9

I start with a series of "U"s Then I start in the center of the first "U" and make another row of "U"s Does that make sense?

Aster Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 3:49am
post #7 of 9
sweetcakes Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 4:02am
post #8 of 9

thats great!!! I will have to try that the next time i work at the bakery. Love that look.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 4:34am
post #9 of 9

Aster, thanks for those movies! I'm definitely going to try that sometime!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%