Air Brushing - Keeping In The Lines

Decorating By jlh Updated 24 Sep 2007 , 3:53am by JanetBme

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 7

I am growing more interested in airbrushing. Everytime I look at it, I think "there is no way for me to keep inside the lines". I just picture the sprayer shooting everywhere and not giving me the detailed results I would want. Therefore, I haven't looked beyond that. I see more and more cakes with just little portions airbrused and wonder what the secret is. How do you "mask off" areas that you don't want to be colored?
thanks

6 replies
cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 7

I was a nail artist for years and here is a tip from that that you can use on cakes. To keep from having overspray cut shape ( I like card stock) out of paper. Place the part of cake to be painted in it's opening that keeps all surrounding areas from being sprayed If using fondant you can tape off areas. Hope this makes sense icon_wink.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 7

you will always get a small area of overspray,unless that area is masked off. to do that you need to use a crusting buttercream or fondant, and a stencil or paper to keep the spray off. i AB alot of my cakes and there is a little over the lines but i dont worry about it. the reason to airbrush is for speed, if i had to cut out my pattern to mask off every time its no longer a fast process. even artists who do AB mask off with frisket so there is no way to over come it.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 7

sweetcakes, not to hijack but I looked at your pics... some cute cakes.... I airbrushed a cake last night and forgot to take a photo of it, but do u have any tips like do u airbrush the darker colors then the lighter ones or vice versa?

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 7

I just bought a small airbrush and was thinking the same thing. Glad you asked the question jlh !

delicious_designs7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delicious_designs7 Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 7

I don't use anything to block off when I am airbrushing. I just adjust my air flow and go for it.

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 3:53am
post #7 of 7

I agree with what they said!- chances are unless you lay a papertowel or tape off an area, you will have some sort of overspray. But the good thing is, that the more you practice the less noticible your overspray will be- But when you start out airbrushing- it will take you a while to learn what angle to hold your brush to keep the overspray down, and how much air and color will make controlled line. The more you practice, the less you have to rely on stencils and masking, and will get better at freehand airbrushing.icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%