Approaching Local Businesses.................

Business By coolchc21 Updated 24 Sep 2007 , 10:27pm by mariannedavis

coolchc21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolchc21 Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 8

I'm thinking of approaching local convenience stores, etc. in hopes that I can supply them seasonal cookies each week. They will be sugar cookies decorated for Halloween right now. I'm thinking a good wholesale price would be $1.50 per cookie (after reading a post antonia74 wrote a while back). I'm going to make a batch and just approach each business with a sample in hopes of an agreement. Does anyone have any advice to offer as to what to say (or what not to do)? Thanks.

7 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 8

you do not say if you are set up to legally sell food products in TX or not. It is my belief that product that is going to be sold on has to have a nutritional label and ingredients listed. i think this could be risky.

coolchc21 Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 8

No, I am not legal yet, but I plan on getting legal first. A friend of mine owns a bakery and I'll be selling my baked goods from her kitchen. As far as labels go, I've seen plenty of food items sold at convenience stores without them. Maybe that's something to think about in the future though.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 8

You should check with your state. I've seen posts in here that indicated if you are selling wholesale, then it must be labeled.

mariannedavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariannedavis Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 8

coolchc21,

It's pretty quick and painless to print out a bunch of sticky Avery Address Labels and put them on the back of the cookie bag.

I haven't looked it up, but I believe that the FDA (federal law) requires a list of ingredients in descending order by weight.

I use this label for my chocolate chip cookies....

Ingredients: flour, butter, sugar, eggs, chocolate chips, milk, vanilla extract, baking soda, salt

You might also want to put a warning label below that...

This product may contain Wheat, Milk, Egg, Nuts, and/or Soy

MFitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MFitz Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 8

Good Luck!-- It sounds like a great avenue to sell your items!

Also make sure you have the proper insurance- minimum liability etc and calculate all your costs to get to the pricing you need or how many units you need to sell

coolchc21 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 9:02pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you so much for all of your input. I was thinking that the cookies would be in a display case, but if I label them, how would you wrap them. Do you recommend shrink wrapping them individually?

mariannedavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariannedavis Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 10:27pm
post #8 of 8

I'd say that a decorated cookie sells for a minimum of $2.50 each. I was thinking you'd put them in cello bags and tie a ribbon for some pizzaz icon_razz.gif

This cookie was simple and cheap to do:
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%