New Idea For Cake Design...

Decorating By lovincake Updated 23 Sep 2007 , 5:04am by lovincake

lovincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovincake Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 3:30am
post #1 of 5

Ok, so before I ask this please keep in mind that I am relatively new at this...I got a set of cake dummies and I am having a heck of a time trying to cover them in fondant. I covered them in seran wrap...that was a mess...and then I tried without. That didn't work very well either. I think it has something to do with the weight, I don't have any problems with real cakes!!! So I got this idea...I started cutting out fondant circles and glueing them to the form, and I really like how it is looking...but now I wonder how I could do that to a real cake without the heaviness of the fondant circles pulling off the buttercream underneath. And I don't think I could use the gumpaste glue on buttercream. Anybody got any ideas...or is this just totally nonsense! Thanks...Linda

4 replies
jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:02am
post #2 of 5

Try putting a thin coat of buttercream or piping gel on the dummy so the fondant has something wet to stick to.

As for putting it on an iced cake, you can. The fondant will stick to icing and shouldn't pull it down unless it's really thick.

Hope this helps!

nikki1201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1201 Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:11am
post #3 of 5

i think i can picture what you mean... all overlapping circles, without the 'solid' layer of fondant covering the whole thing? if that's what you mean, i'd love to see a picture when you're done! sounds really cute! i've never covered a cake in fondant, but if i could do it with a bunch of small pieces... i'm ALL for that! as for the technical stuff... sorry, wouldn't know! icon_wink.gif

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:36am
post #4 of 5

I wasn't picturing overlapping the circles. That would look neat. I still don't think it would pull on the buttercream since you put a layer on it before covering in fondant anyway.

I would also like to see a pic of it when you're done.

lovincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovincake Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 5:04am
post #5 of 5

Overlapping circles is just what I am talking about and I just finnished doing the 6' and dusting it with pearl dust...I wish to heck I had a digital camera so yall could see this...it is so cool, and I am so proud of myself!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%