Fillings - What's Best?

Baking By stlalohagal Updated 26 Nov 2006 , 3:23am by vanz

stlalohagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlalohagal Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 10

What are the best combinations? Any suggestions? I've been strictly a basic yellow cake with BC icing and I'm looking to try something new. I just tried a Champagne cake with Champagne flavored Icing for my Tgiving cake and it went over well. I'd like to try more. So far here is my only thought...

White Chocolate Cake with Amaretto BC

Let me know some other favorites and recipes if you care to share. Thanks!

- Paula

9 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 10

Zesty lemon cake with lemon/cream cheese buttercream filling; Double chocolate cake; white or french Vanilla cake with strawberry cream cheese buttercream... Gosh, now I'm making myself hungry...

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 4:11am
post #3 of 10

vanilla chai with cinn. buttercream, white almond sour cream with strawberry buttercream, choc. cake with carmel and heath bits filling.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 4:24am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

vanilla chai with cinn. buttercream, white almond sour cream with strawberry buttercream, choc. cake with carmel and heath bits filling.

Now you're making me hungry! icon_smile.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 4:25am
post #5 of 10

I don't know if you have access to Pastry Pride in your area but I posted a Bavarian Cream filling that can be flavored in many different ways if you are interested.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2396-181-Bavarian-Cream-Filling.html

stlalohagal Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 5:22am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

I don't know if you have access to Pastry Pride in your area but I posted a Bavarian Cream filling that can be flavored in many different ways if you are interested.

Shirley,
Thanks for the link. I was looking for something with a Kahlua in it, along with other suggestions too. I can't wait to try this one! I've got my Course III final coming up in 2 weeks and I want to make it something special since it will be that tiered/stacked wedding cake style. I'm also donating it to our church's Children's Christmas Program night for one of their desserts. Thanks again!

- Paula

stlalohagal Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 5:24am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

mkolmar,
What is the White Almond Sour Cream cake like. I've heard that the favorite of weddings is a White Almond cake is this one in the same??? I myself don't care for white cake because it always seem sooooooo dry. I want a recipe for a MOIST white cake. Thanks?

- Paula

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 5:53am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlalohagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

Shirley,
Thanks for the link. I was looking for something with a Kahlua in it, along with other suggestions too. I can't wait to try this one! I've got my Course III final coming up in 2 weeks and I want to make it something special since it will be that tiered/stacked wedding cake style. I'm also donating it to our church's Children's Christmas Program night for one of their desserts. Thanks again!

- Paula

Paula you might want to rethink the Kahlua if it is a church sponsored event, and especially for children. The small amount of alcohol in the recipe probably isn't any higher than in an extract or some vanilla, but you wouldn't want someone being upset with you for serving something alcohol based there.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 1:38am
post #9 of 10

Paula, the recipe is off of this site and it is soooo good, not dry or too moist --just right! My mom's favorite cake is now the white almond sour cream cake instead of chocolate, amazingly enough. It's not too strong of a flavor in the cake either which I like. Try the 1/2 version of the recipe to see if you it's something you would use. I do think the cake tastes best the next day though once it has some time to set, but that's just my opinion. Almost forgot to say it's from a cake mix and then just doctored so the preservatives will keep it fresher longer.

vanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanz Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 3:23am
post #10 of 10

what is "pastry pride topping"? can I substitute cool whip with it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%