Can I Bake In A Ball Canning Jar

Decorating By moptop Updated 30 Sep 2007 , 2:59am by kimkait

moptop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moptop Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 19

I'm thinking of using a wide--mouthed Ball canning jar to bake a cake (it's the size/shape I'm looking for). Anyone know if that's possible? Was thinking they would withstand the heat of boiling water but perhaps dry heat is a bit different?

18 replies
JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 19

Yes you can! search cakes in a jar for details... I know a few years back, there was sorta a craze where you could get at craft fairs, cakes in a jar- they'd even have a type of icing on them- Then you boil the canning lids and seal them! It was a neat idea-

kimkait Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moptop Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 19

Wow - I had no idea! *chuckle* that is too cool! thanks so much for the info, all! Much appreciated!

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 1:42pm
post #5 of 19

that is the coolest gift idea! did you see the link in the top left where you can "mug" the gift too?

thanks for this find...i'm excited to try this!

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 1:43pm
post #6 of 19

I can my banana nut and zuccini breads in my jars. You just fill the jar about 2/3 full and bake like normal then as soon as they come out of the oven put the lids on. The only problem I would forsee is that it is very difficult to remove the bread in one piece even with the wide mouth jars. Cake might be easier to remove i would only let it cool about 10 minutes.

HTH Val

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 2:14pm
post #7 of 19

Since it's sealed hot out of the oven, does the cake get gooey from being sealed like???

moptop Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 2:19pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrmcc1

I can my banana nut and zuccini breads in my jars. You just fill the jar about 2/3 full and bake like normal then as soon as they come out of the oven put the lids on. The only problem I would forsee is that it is very difficult to remove the bread in one piece even with the wide mouth jars. Cake might be easier to remove i would only let it cool about 10 minutes.

HTH Val

Hmm... now I'm starting to think about holiday gifts... icon_smile.gif I usually give our neighbors on the culdesac/street something from the kitchen during the holiday season and am wondering how this might go over as opposed to the traditional cookies! Would have a bit of a shock value as I don't think many folks think to do this....

Neato! I really want to try this.

moptop Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 2:22pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes47

Since it's sealed hot out of the oven, does the cake get gooey from being sealed like???

I would imagine the moisture would be sealed in.... but that couldn't be a bad thing (well, as long as it wasn't TOO moist *chuckle* there is some truth to the saying 'too much of a good thing' I guess)

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 2:54pm
post #10 of 19

I've had cake in a jar before and they are wonderful. The cake stays so moist. I was told you just eat it out of the jar instead of trying to remove it.

I too am thinking about holiday gifts and you get 8 of a regular box mix! I think that's pretty good thumbs_up.gif K'ly

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:13pm
post #11 of 19

I think I'd like to try doing that. If the stores aren't sold out of those special jars by now!!

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:26pm
post #12 of 19

This is such a cool idea! Kinda reminds me of the cake dry mixes I used to put in jars as gifts. Also used to use cookie and brownie mixes.

Hey think we can bake brownies in these?
Wouldn't the cake stick to the jar? Need greased?

Baileygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baileygirl Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:41pm
post #13 of 19

http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/recipes/jarcakes.htm

This link has a brownie recipe along with many others but at the very end it has information on sealing and how long the cakes will keep in the jars. I thought it might answer some of your questions.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:50pm
post #14 of 19

Thanks for listing the website, there's alot of information on it!

Ginnycakes3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ginnycakes3 Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 11:31pm
post #15 of 19

Thank you so much for posting the link's!
This sounds like a fantastic and fun idea for gift's and for having on hand for my family. I am going to town tomorrow and will be looking for the straight sided jars. Hope to find some before they are gone.

Jenlg: If you read the recipe's to the link it does state to grease the inside of jar really well with pastry brush before adding batter.

Thank's again

moptop Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 11:45pm
post #16 of 19

Ooooooooh, BROWNIES in the jar! Now that's even better! hehehe... ok, this is what my neighbors can expect this year. Might have to do a couple for myself at the same time icon_smile.gif

christielee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christielee Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 1:18pm
post #17 of 19

Thanks so much for posting this! I always give homemade treats as Christmas gifts to my kids teachers, but that time of year seems to get crazier every year! This will let me be able to do it a couple weeks early, and sounds simple and fun! Thanks!

Christie

moptop Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:57am
post #18 of 19

I think I'm going to test it out early - as in, this weekend icon_smile.gif I think the weather is supposed to be cooler (fall has arrived) - what a better time for a test drive!?

kimkait Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkait Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 2:59am
post #19 of 19

I was browsing through magazines at Books A Million and Paula Dean's Christmas magazine has the cake in a jar. Big Lots and Walmart still had jars.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%