Something Else To Make W/ Cake Scraps Other Than Cake Balls

Decorating By alengirl Updated 29 Jul 2005 , 3:41pm by melissablack

alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 5

Just a little tip I thought I'd share!

I had never heard of "cake balls" till I joined Cake Central, not even in all the years I've been surfing the net for recipes. . . Any way, here's what I do:

Option #1 Cake-ice cream: put the scraps in a ziplock in the freeze and whenever anyone wants cake & icecream, they put some of the cake in a bowl, nuke it the microwave till it's just right and plop a scoop of ice cream on it! Mmm!

The next one is my favorite***

OPTION #2 BREAD PUDDING!!!!!!: I save scraps till my freezer can't take it any longer (sometimes there are more cake scraps than regular food in my freezer icon_lol.gif ) I thaw them out and break off in nice chunk size pieces and scatter them on a baking sheet (last time I did this, I had 6 LARGE baking sheets, yikes!) I broil them (Watching them carefully, so they don't burn), take them out, toss them, put them back in & broil a little longer. The object here is to "toast" the cake chunks. If they're too soft, your bread pudding will be mushy. After you have all your cake chunks toasted. . . then layer some in the bottom of a greased (I use PAM) pan. Then I sprinkled what ever my little heart desired! Milk chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, candied pecans, & slivered almonds. Then another layer of cake chunks, then all my toppings again. Once I had that all assembled, I added my liquid portion (what ever you like, mine was a mix of skim, evaporated milk, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla, & Amaretto) slowly over my pans and then I baked them individually, each pan for over an hour.

Let me just say, that was up there with some of the BEST bread pudding I've ever had! Everyone who tried it, absolutely loved it! Did I mention I love bread pudding????? icon_biggrin.gif

Also, I added raisins to one of the pans, I don't like raisins in my bread pudding, so my pan didn't have any icon_wink.gif

Hope this gives you some ideas and if you do try it & create something totally delicious, be sure to share!

PS: I had two 11x15 pans of breadpudding when I was finished, icon_eek.gif !
A lot of people got to try it and I already have people waiting for my next huge batch of bread pudding!

4 replies
peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 5

Thanks for the ideas... we always have some kind of cake around here!

jgclucas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgclucas Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 5

Oh yum! My husband loves bread pudding, but it isn't sweet enough for me. This sounds like a great compromise. Thanks.

alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 5

Try it jgclucas, you'll remember me when you're taking your first bite icon_smile.gif Mmmmm!

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 5

You could also use them for a trifle, there are so many different varieties out there. I make one called Brownie Trifle, but you can also use chocolate cake. You layer chunks of the cake, chocolate pudding, cool whip, chopped up heath bits, and repeat layers. You can make trifles with white/yellow cake and vanilla custard & fruit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%