Help With Medieval 4 Poster Bed Cake Design Please!

Decorating By Lilymuse Updated 24 Nov 2006 , 11:05pm by ShirleyW

Lilymuse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lilymuse Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 3:12am
post #1 of 14

Hi All
This is my first post here. I used to make cakes for many years in the U.K. but since my kids got all grown up, I haven't made but a handfull.
Now I am getting married and am trying to find a pic of a four poster bed cake to work the basics out from.
Does anybody know of anywhere I might find a picture?
Thanks
Lily icon_smile.gif

13 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 3:25am
post #2 of 14

Google Images! I love it.

Go to Google and put in "four poster bed" and then hit "images" right by the search box. TONS of pictures to sort thru...

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 3:43am
post #3 of 14

I'd use a set of four pillars from a wedding set, colored to your specs, for the "four posters."

Then I'd tape together SEVERAL layers of cardboard in a small square to fit directly UNDER the middle of the "bed" layers. The "bed" layers would be supported, of course by a cake board.

This would give the illusion of the "bed" being supported by the four posters, when in fact, they would be supported by the small square of cardboard and the cake board.

Does that make sense? I hope... icon_smile.gif

--Knox--

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 3:46am
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxcop1

I'd use a set of four pillars from a wedding set, colored to your specs, for the "four posters."

Then I'd tape together SEVERAL layers of cardboard in a small square to fit directly UNDER the middle of the "bed" layers. The "bed" layers would be supported, of course by a cake board.

This would give the illusion of the "bed" being supported by the four posters, when in fact, they would be supported by the small square of cardboard and the cake board.

--Knox--

or just stack up the cake w/ another layer and create a dust ruffle around the bottom out of gumpaste/fondant or piped BC

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 3:52am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:

--Knox--

or just stack up the cake w/ another layer and create a dust ruffle around the bottom out of gumpaste/fondant or piped BC

The bed does have a lot of draping! Canopy, curtains and ruffles..but I seem to think that the wood on this type of bed is very dark and ornate?

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 3:57am
post #6 of 14

I have a Wesley Allen four poster bed. It's a king size, and it's metal. It's stunning! It's a very light, light "cream" color.

I've seen very dark woods, and all colors, really. So---you could go with just about any color on the posts that you like.

I'm wondering, (someone else here probably knows this) but could those pillars (posters) be covered in colored fondant??

I did a piano cake once, but I spray-painted the pillars to look like the "legs" on the piano, and they never touched the cake itself.

Hmmmm.... icon_rolleyes.gif

--Knox--

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 4:05am
post #7 of 14
Quote:

I have a Wesley Allen four poster bed. It's a king size, and it's metal. It's stunning! It's a very light, light "cream" color.

I've seen very dark woods, and all colors, really. So---you could go with just about any color on the posts that you like.

I'm wondering, (someone else here probably knows this) but could those pillars (posters) be covered in colored fondant??

I did a piano cake once, but I spray-painted the pillars to look like the "legs" on the piano, and they never touched the cake itself.

Hmmmm.... icon_rolleyes.gif

--Knox--

Is your bed a Midieveal bed??? That's what the original post was asking...help in the execution of a Midieval type bed. thumbs_up.gif

cakinqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakinqueen Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 4:19am
post #8 of 14

I have a bed cake with a headboard. I used candy clay or modeling chocolate. You can do this weeks in advance (i rather suggest it) so it sets up nice and strong. I made the two pillars strictly out of the clay. I used yellow and brown airbrush colors to get the wood effect. I sprayed yellow as a base them went over it with brown, I got close to surface and let the color build up a little. I used fodd gloves to rub back and forth and blend the colors with my fingers. If it gets too dark take some alchol and rub it off. I also used the point on the flower nail to actually make the wood grains. PM me if you have any quesitons. I know it's not a four poster bed but it might give you something to work from.Good luck!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 4:24am
post #9 of 14

Hi Lily,
Do you own any books by Debbie Brown or could you check one out from the library? In her book titled "Enchanted cakes for children" she has a princess bed that I think could easily be converted to a four poster. There are patterns in the book for the bed, you could make it of gumpaste or pastillage.

sirius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sirius Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 5:16am
post #10 of 14

i think as long as you make the headboard/footboard and uprights in advance (at least a couple of weeks) you should be in good order.
if you were going to include a teester top, then that could be done is styrofoam so there's no weight on the rest of the frame.
sounds like and interesting and challenging project. best of luck.

Lilymuse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lilymuse Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 7:15am
post #11 of 14

WOW...you girls sure are brilliant icon_biggrin.gif with all your swift and helpful advice.
Yes, it is a Medieval bed and I did actually manage to find a small, not very clear pic of one on one of the UK Medieval sites ad's.
I was intending to make the cake using four pillars, covered in sugarpaste to be made to look wooden. Then to have a rectangular sponge balanced on a thin cake board for the top canopy, much the same as I have done for a regualr tiered wedding cake.
I like the suggestion of making the foo/headboard and supports a few weeks before.
You people are awesome.
Many thanks
I"m sure I'll be back withlots more questions as things progress.
Best wishes
Lily thumbs_up.gif

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sirius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sirius Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 10:59pm
post #13 of 14

if you go to www.fourposterbeds.com they have wonderful information and photos. i got carried away reading about the history of the beds and forgot to send this reply yesterday. sorry 'bout that.....
make sure you post the pic when it's finished. i would love to see it.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 11:05pm
post #14 of 14

Here is a topper for a cake I made from an original design by Debbie Brown. I rolled the gumpaste and then rolled a woodgrain impression mat over the paste before cutting my pattern. When dry I painted it with a mixture of petal dust thinned with alcohol or Everclear, it makes the woodgrain look quite real. I just cut one dimensional posts and glued them to the headboard and footboard with gum glue before drying and painting. So, making this into a four poster would be quite easy, just another rectangle of gumpaste for the top, or a painted piece of fondant to replicate fabric.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=ShirleyW&cat=0&pos=153

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%