Will Fondant Stick To Fondant Painted With Luster Dust?

Decorating By maggiev777 Updated 23 Sep 2007 , 1:34am by dragonflydreams

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 6

I am painting the top and sides of my fondant cake with luster dust (rather thickly). Can I still stick other fondant to it? Or wil it not stick b/c of the luster dust?

Thanks!

5 replies
lovinkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinkakes Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 6

hmmm, are the pieces you are sticking onto it also going to painted? I would just place them on first. If not, paint around. a newbie, but thought I could add two cents! HTH, and also a bump for someone more experienced!

Toniprev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toniprev Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 6

Can you add the fondant pieces while the lustre dust is wet... (are you painting it with vodka?) or are you applying it as dry dust?? I would think if you put sugar glue on fondant pieces... you shouldn't have a problem. That's my 2cents worth too icon_smile.gif

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 6

Although I don't have much experience . . . I can say that if you use royal icing to attach your fondant pieces to a "dry" luster dusted surface you won't have any problems . . . this is the only method I have tried (and it was successful) thumbs_up.gif There may be better/easier methods . . . but I know this works

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the replies! icon_smile.gif

I am using luster dust painted on with vodka. I am not excited about sticking them on first and then painting around them because I am adding lettering to the side of the cake - so painting around each letter will end up being a real pain (and probably not look as nice as if they were painted before attaching them).

Toniprev - Not sure if I can apply the letters while the luster dust is still wet, but I will think about how I could do that. By "sugar glue" do you mean gumpaste glue?

Dragonflydreams - Good to know! I am a little worried about RI showing (since the letters are kind of delicate looking) but maybe I could touch up any visible RI with luster dust. Does the dust (With vodka) stick to RI?

I think I will experiment a little bit with gumpaste glue and RI...

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 1:34am
post #6 of 6

icon_smile.gif great . . . be sure and share your findings . . . icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%