Tomkat Wedding Cake

Lounge By daisyblue Updated 27 Nov 2006 , 9:48pm by elvisb

daisyblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyblue Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 32

I just looked at the picture of the Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes wedding cake & I can't help but think it looks like a larger version of the cake on the cover of a Wilton wedding cakes book that I have. I tried to copy the Wilton photo from my book to post here but when I clicked on 'add an attachment' I never got the option to add anything (arrrgh!! I've been having trouble uploading any photos here for weeks now.) The Wilton cake is on the cover of 'Wilton wedding cakes: A Romantic Portfolio'. If anyone has that book, would you be able to post the photo so everyone could compare it with the TomKat cake? Thanks!

(If no one is able to post a photo of the Wilton cake, you can go to Google & type in 'Wilton wedding cakes a romantic portfolio' & you can see the picture that way)

Also, what would you guess is the size of the bottom layer of Tom & Katie's cake???? (other than just HUGE!! LOL!!)

31 replies
jillchap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillchap Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 12:08am
post #2 of 32

it actually does look quite similar in style to that cake... good find!
i found the cake kinda 'meh'... i was expecting something much more spectacular! bet it was delicious though!

janetwhitson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janetwhitson Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 12:27am
post #3 of 32

Here I found both pictures...look and compare for yourself...I think they are similar!!
LL
LL

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 12:31am
post #4 of 32

Yes it does look like that cake. I actually love it! I think it is very elegant, not gaudy, which suits my taste. But, I still think that cake was leaning.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 12:39am
post #5 of 32

I agree it does kind of look like it is leaning. Boy, am i addicted to cake decorating....here we are looking a the cake first and than the dress. I think i do that with all weddings!!! That is to funny. Does any one else do that?

cakenbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenbake Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 12:42am
post #6 of 32

I just said the same thing to my husband ( it's not straight). It's nice but I expected something more original. I bet it was expensive to.

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 12:55am
post #7 of 32

I showed the cake to my husband.

He said "weren't they married in Italy? maybe they were going for the leaning tower of pisa look"

CajunDaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CajunDaisy Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 1:13am
post #8 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyblue

I just looked at the picture of the Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes wedding cake & I can't help but think it looks like a larger version of the cake on the cover of a Wilton wedding cakes book that I have. I tried to copy the Wilton photo from my book to post here but when I clicked on 'add an attachment' I never got the option to add anything (arrrgh!! I've been having trouble uploading any photos here for weeks now.) The Wilton cake is on the cover of 'Wilton wedding cakes: A Romantic Portfolio'. If anyone has that book, would you be able to post the photo so everyone could compare it with the TomKat cake? Thanks!

(If no one is able to post a photo of the Wilton cake, you can go to Google & type in 'Wilton wedding cakes a romantic portfolio' & you can see the picture that way)

Also, what would you guess is the size of the bottom layer of Tom & Katie's cake???? (other than just HUGE!! LOL!!)

I would think maybe that the bottom is a 22"??

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 2:08am
post #9 of 32

The only difference I see (besides the topper) is that their cake looks to have about an inch of clearance between the layers for the fresh flowers to be inserted.

wigglesj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wigglesj Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 2:23am
post #10 of 32

They are reportedly marzipan roses.

lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 2:29am
post #11 of 32

Does it look like there is pearl dust on the layers?

beesting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beesting Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 2:31am
post #12 of 32

i like the wilton one better, probably cause its white. more my taste, i think its nice. i agree it is leaning over though. andi have no clue as to what sizes it would be... thanks for posting both pics janetwhitson

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 2:38am
post #13 of 32

...its a gorgeous cake for sure!!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 5:34am
post #14 of 32

it's very pretty but definately leaning...

did you guys see the one they brought out on "the view"...i think it was for barbara walters birthday...man it was REALLY leaning bad!

makes me wonder if just "us" decorators notice.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 5:49am
post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by momvarden

I agree it does kind of look like it is leaning. Boy, am i addicted to cake decorating....here we are looking a the cake first and than the dress. I think i do that with all weddings!!! That is to funny. Does any one else do that?

LOL.

Since I became addicted to "the art", whenever I go to a party, especially a wedding, the first thing I look at is the cake. BOY was I disappointed with the last wedding! The cake was several sized cakes on their own stands covered in buttercream and coconut sprinkled all over- that's it!

Let's face it, we need help. "Cake Decorators Anonymous"?

jlmaison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlmaison Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 6:15am
post #16 of 32

I agree that the cake was leaning but why do you think that is?

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 6:16am
post #17 of 32

Not enough dowels probably. Or maybe it's a new fad. icon_lol.gif

daisyblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyblue Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 12:51pm
post #18 of 32

Thank you so much for posting the pics janetwhitson!! I've not had any luck with getting a photo to upload for about 3 weeks now (I've heard others have had this same problem & that CC is working on it.) I agree with all of you about the cake looking like it's leaning. When I first looked at it I thought "oh, that looks like the cake on the cover of my Wilton book, &...........is it leaning?" LOL!!

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 1:18pm
post #19 of 32

icon_lol.gif Best part is here we all are really debating on this cake and "oh yeah" that is Tom and Katie in the background!!!!!!! Now back to this cake leaning thing???? For us the cake is the center of the pic! icon_lol.gif

feverfixer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feverfixer Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 1:21pm
post #20 of 32

What do people think of the set-up? l find all those big roses very distracting, and the cake should be raised off the table and not just resting on a really thin board. It just blends in!
I must admit, I have been looking for a picture of the cake. Thanks for posting. I must admit I have started looking at the cake first!
Diane

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 2:15am
post #21 of 32

Other than it leaning, I really like the style of the cake. It's a little over the top in the size department, but it's pretty.

Who's TomKat? Oh...yeah....the bride and groom. icon_lol.gif

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 2:26am
post #22 of 32

If you look at it long enough, it looks like the table is leaning....do you think they stretched the photo so it's more oblong, causing it to look worse? I cannot imagine a chef (expecially someone with this responsibility) didn't notice it!

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 7:52am
post #23 of 32

I'm sure it's the angle the cake has been taken from - or it's been taken using a fisheye lense so that the cake and the couple can fit in the same frame. I'm sure we've all taken pictures which have distorted our cakes somewhat - remember the photographer is more interested in the couple than the cake (not like us!)

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 4:56pm
post #24 of 32

Doesn't look like a lense I know of, not even a fisheye, but -

hey, not even the bride is straight! Maybe leaning is all due to the short groom icon_lol.gif

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 5:08pm
post #25 of 32

I was thinking along those lines, Zmama. Maybe the picture was angled to make the groom taller!!!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 12:14am
post #26 of 32
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe the picture was angled to make the groom taller!!!

That would have to be QUITE an angle!!! icon_lol.gif

bakedandiced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakedandiced Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 1:16am
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetResults

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe the picture was angled to make the groom taller!!!

That would have to be QUITE an angle!!! icon_lol.gif

ROFL!!!

I agree the cake looks like the one on Wilton.

denise4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise4 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 1:42am
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by feverfixer

What do people think of the set-up? l find all those big roses very distracting, and the cake should be raised off the table and not just resting on a really thin board. It just blends in!
I must admit, I have been looking for a picture of the cake. Thanks for posting. I must admit I have started looking at the cake first!
Diane

I agree, the set up spoiled the look of the cake, it sort of took the elegance away from it, something a bit less fussy would have been much better.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 2:07am
post #29 of 32

LOL!!!

Y'all crack me up! I think it looks a little off as well! I wonder where it's from and what they paid for it. I always check out EVERY cake at EVERY function I go to where the cake isn't mine.

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 2:07am
post #30 of 32

Ok maybe it's just me, but it doesn't look like the cake is leaning, rather that all of the layers are scooted to one side (you know for that elegant look that is in one of wilton's yearbooks in oval pans)?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%