Buttercream Icing

Baking By jreed Updated 22 Sep 2007 , 1:13am by weezasmom

jreed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jreed Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 12:44am
post #1 of 8

I need a good recipe for buttercream icing or whatever it is that you find in a bakery. I am not satisfied with my icing recipe. I use butter, crisco, p.sugar, water and salt. What am I doing wrong? Please Help!

7 replies
CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 12:50am
post #2 of 8

What flavorings are you using with it all? I use combo of vanilla and butter or creme bouquet in mine. Almond is good too. There are several good recipes in the recipe area.

weezasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weezasmom Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 12:53am
post #3 of 8

The Buttercream Dream recipe on this site is what I use and NO ONE has ever complained in fact just the opposite. Its fluffy creamy and just plain WONDERFUL!!! icon_biggrin.gif

kcat3740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcat3740 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 12:58am
post #4 of 8

weezasmom - does the buttercream dream work for flowers etc? Or do you ice with it and then use something else to decorate? I would like to try something other than the basic wilton buttercream but have been concerned it would be hard to decorate with if it is fluffy.

dominique26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dominique26 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 12:59am
post #5 of 8

I totally agree with weezasmom. Buttercream Dream is the best. When I don't have a cake to make, I sometimes make cupcakes just so I can put lots of icing on them and eat them myself icon_redface.gif

Here is the link:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2123-Buttercream-Dream.html

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 1:04am
post #6 of 8

The main difference in the buttercream icing at the bakery from what you make at home is the high ratio shortening. I have never understood why they don't sell it in smaller amounts in the grocery stores, like Crisco.

I have discovered rather recently that if I add some cream of coconut to mine, in place of part of the liquid, it gives it a real smooth creamy texture.

Another thing with the icing...if you mix it in large batches on the big mixer (40 lbs.) it turns out creamier than if you do it 10 lbs. at a time, or less.

dominique26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dominique26 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 1:13am
post #7 of 8

I forgot to mention that I use Sweetex instead of Crisco and it gives the icing a great taste and texture. But you have to use a little less that the recipe calls for. For example the Buttercream Dream calls for a cup of shortening, but thru trial and error I found that I only need to use 3/4 cup of Sweetex.

weezasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weezasmom Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 1:13am
post #8 of 8

I don't know about the flowers because as hard as it is to admit I rarely make flower cause I don't know how. Every thing I know has come from trial and (lots) of error learned mostly from here. But I have been playing around with the Buttercream Dream recipe using the flavored coffee creamers, and the Hazelnut one is awesome, used it instead of milk.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%