Decorating Fake Cakes

Decorating By mkolmar Updated 22 Sep 2007 , 1:28pm by sheila06

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 12:25am
post #1 of 8

I have a round stacked fake cake coming up and have never done one before. Do you need to sand the edges down some? I'm going to cover it in fondant, can you just spritz the dummy a little bit with water and place the fondant or do I need to wrap it up in plastic wrap first?

Any tips or advice welcome!!

7 replies
mkolmar Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 2:52am
post #2 of 8

Anyone?

mommy2landonmason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2landonmason Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 3:02am
post #3 of 8

I wrap mine in saran wrap just so i can use it again. and i just spritzed it with a little water. I would sand down the side, i didnt and it made the fondant tear on the sides. if it would have been smooth, it would have worked out a little better. good luck

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 3:03am
post #4 of 8

I would sand the sharp edges down because they do tend to tear the fondant. I usually put either piping gel or royal icing as my base and then apply the fondant. I dont wrap it in plastic wrap or anything. Then when Im done with it and want to make it into something new, I just run hot water over it for a while and the fondant will peel off.

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 3:04am
post #5 of 8

I don't sand the edges of mine - they are just sharper than if it were real cake. Personally I hate cutting dummies so I avoid it at all costs! lol

As for covering with fondant ... I just spritz the dummy and it sticks. Can't be bothered wrapping it as I'm not worried about anyone eating the thing. If you want to reuse just take the fondant off and wash the dummy.

HTH!

mkolmar Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 3:21am
post #6 of 8

It's for the 1 year anniversary of a high end shoe shop. They want it to be stacked and look kind of like a birthday cake. --The colors of the shop are pink and brown so I'm going to play off of that. Thanks for all of the tips! I truly appreciate it. It's for October 3 and I have to make desserts for it also so I don't want to mess around not knowing what to do. Thanks again!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 6:40am
post #7 of 8

I've just finished my first dummy cake (in my photos). I started trying to use plastic wrap, but that didn't work for me. I made an all-shortening BC to add a layer of 'softness' and help the fondant adhere. All in all it was quite fun working with a dummy. I liked being able to pick it up in one hand and spread the BC around the edges! I wish real cakes were as easy to decorate!

sheila06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheila06 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 1:28pm
post #8 of 8

I love love love to work with Dummy's ...they turn out so much prettier than a regular cake. I just spritz mine with water and decorate away. if I need to use the dummy again I just soak in warm water until fondant comes off then air dry. I think you will see how easy it is to use them !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%