Chocolate Transfers Are Fun

Decorating By missyv110 Updated 24 Nov 2006 , 11:53am by missyv110

missyv110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyv110 Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 19

Thanks you, Squirrely Cakes, for your mini tutorial on chocolate transfers. I LOVE THEM.

Just playing with these, making a girlie type cake.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=lastup&cat=0&pos=-85547

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=lastup&cat=0&pos=-85552

Thanks again

18 replies
tccksmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tccksmith Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 19

They came out adorable! So cute! I love to do choclate transfers too!

missyv110 Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 19

thanks TCC....they're so addictive to make, I have several ideas for cute pics - just have to figure out the best way to get a really fine line, so far disposable piping bag with e WEE tip is working best......

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 19

Yes they are fun! I made a butterfly CT for my best friend's birthday cake (It's in the male part of the naughtys because of other reasons) but it's very pretty and was very easy to make. Only problem was I did one of the outlines a little too thin and it cracked in half when I placed it on the cake but it was beautiful none the less. And LOADS of fun to make!!!

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 19

Missy, your girly cake is adorable. I really like the colors you used. Chocolate cream cheese icing sounds yummy, too.

I, too, love chocolate transfers. I find them so much easier than colorflow, and like the sturdiness.

I have started adding dimensional features after the transfer has set, as described in the Whimsical Bakehouse Cookbook.

RedPanda

missyv110 Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 10:23pm
post #6 of 19

Thanks RedPanda, I just can't blv how much easier these are that FBCTs, soooo easy........

This Whimsical Bakehouse book sounds excellent, I will have to look for it here in Toronto. I've seen references to it with so many beautiful cakes here on CC.

Looked at your photos.....your Basket of Flowers cake is just beautiful, your colours are perfect, and I LOVE the basketweave. Talent!!

olana11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olana11 Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 1:48am
post #7 of 19

They came out beautiful! The girl is stunning! I have a question, I've never tried CTs before but I know when I melt choc chips for dipping etc it's so runny-how do you maintain control? Without it oozing everywhere?

cakesbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymom Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 2:01am
post #8 of 19

This may be a silly question, but where can I find the Squirrely Cakes' tutorial?

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 2:03am
post #9 of 19

i always use candy melts instead of tempering chocolate. it is alot less temperamental to work with...

missyv110 Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 9:36am
post #10 of 19

Here is the link to Squirrelly Cakes thread and terrific instructions.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-13945-newbies.html+transfers

The candy melts work beautifully for making decorative transfers, and kids love em. (I think they taste a bit like the...uh...less expensive Easter bunnies).......tempering real chocolate is an art and too finicky for me...(frankly it's something I need to learn one day).. I stick to the premium candy melts, melt 'em in the microwave, they work just fine. By adding bits of other colors to the white melts you have lots of color choices.

I'm REALLY struggling with the fine lines. So far the best I've found is a disposable decorating bag with a wee wee tiny end snipped off, but it's still not what I want.

Today is Lesson 3 of Wilton I...I'm going to hit up the instructor for another quick tutorial on folding parchment triangles, as I suspect these are going to work best for teeny lines. My parchment triangles are pitiful little things at this point (practice, right?)

Someone else's GREAT hint: leaving the bags lying on a heating pad as you work. Way less hassle and nothing is worse that hardening chocolate plugging up the hole, then GLOOP as it explodes (been there, cleaned that).

denise4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise4 Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 9:54am
post #11 of 19

Oh they are LOVELY....I cant wait to try them.....I'm laid out with bad back at moment icon_sad.gif ...but will be doing them as soon as I can...just hope they turn out as nice as yours...well done icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 12:57pm
post #12 of 19

I saw your cake in the gallery! It was great! Chocolate transfers are my thing these days, I love them. You can do so much with them. My tip for everyone is to do them on something shiney. (I do mine on plastic report covers) then your transfers will appear glossy and shiney.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 1:34pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

I saw your cake in the gallery! It was great! Chocolate transfers are my thing these days, I love them. You can do so much with them. My tip for everyone is to do them on something shiney. (I do mine on plastic report covers) then your transfers will appear glossy and shiney.

I'd have never thought of plastic report covers! What a great idea! I have to "travel" to get mine from my cake supplier and it would be a whole lot easier to go to Wally World and pick up a report cover!

MissyV110: GREAT JOB on your cake! I LUV it!

cakesbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymom Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 2:42pm
post #14 of 19

Thanks missyv110! I'm anxious to try them!!

missyv110 Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 8:52pm
post #15 of 19

Merissa, can I pick your brain again please?....I bought some of those report covers with the slidy things on the edges, but I may have over melted the chocolate...since there was some chocolate residue on the plastic cover and the finish on the transfer wasn't perfectly shiny? (still better than the parchment tho)...I am guessing it was my fault for not melting sloooowly enuf....also how long to you leave them before peeling them off, please?... (I am so impatient, peeking upside down at how the pattern's coming, hee hee)

Okay sorry for being longwinded but.....a heartwarming tale for you on American Thanksgiving.....I have to tell you guys this part of the story - though I made the cake for fun & practice, I found out it was my Mom In Law's neighbour's 85th, she is in failing health, but she sure loves cake!....wise woman.......AND she was apparently quite the fashion plate in her youth - which was JUST the era of the cake transfer girlies! So I took it up to her and she LOVED it and cried and said...she had JUST that sort of hat in 1945, except why didn't I add a hatpin? (loved that part)...and she pointed to each shoes and compared it to her 'favourite dress pumps' ...all in all she was much more like eight than eighty five.

I think I have discovered the secret of why you all make cakes....the joy something can bring to someone....for something we had fun making! Hey......no downside.

Thanks for all the encouragment, is Cake Central the best support group or WHAT?

eryka1842 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eryka1842 Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 9:33pm
post #16 of 19

I made Dora and Boots for my niece's 2nd birthday - everyone loved it. I also did a Titans logo for a friend's cake. No one could believe that it was edible. Everyone loved them. Dora was a HUGE hit. But like missyv110, mine don't come out evenly shiney and there is residue still left on the report covers when I'm done. Any tips?

denise4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise4 Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 10:31pm
post #17 of 19

missyv110, I'm sorry I cant help with your questions, I'm still waiting to try doing them (bad back icon_cry.gif ), but I just wanted to say what a wonderful story about the lovely lady you gave the cake to, and you are so right about being addicted to bringing joy to people, we put our heart and soul into creating something that is personal to them,and it brings so much joy, and our reward is to see that. There is nothing better in my eyes than bringing joy to another person, and if we can achieve that with our cakes, what more can we ask, the bonus for us is we ENJOY creating them.

Denise

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 9:44am
post #18 of 19

okay here what youve got to do! First make sure your plastic is really clean. Buff it up really shiney. What I have found is that if you take off the chocolate transfer too early, it will leave residue behind. I found it really just works best to put them into the freezer for about 5 minutes. I know a lot of people say not to do that, but it really works the best for me. Sometime you might get a little curling to your transfer, but it isnt bad. It is just what I do, and what works the best for me.

missyv110 Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 11:53am
post #19 of 19

Thanks again Merissa, you're such a help.

I'm going to try it again today

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%