Help Me Fix This...

Decorating By SeptBabyMom Updated 22 Sep 2007 , 6:28am by FromScratch

SeptBabyMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeptBabyMom Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 11

I'm making a doll cake for tomorrow and it's my first time. Of course there was one side of the dress part that looked best, so I chose that to be the front. When I was covering with fondant, my finger nail scraped in to it. I didn't worry casue I figured I'd be able to hide it somehow... but now that I'm getting done with it, I can't figure out how to hide it? Please help? Ideas? It doesn't look as bad in this picture as it does in reality, but it's very noticable.

Thanks.
LL

10 replies
DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 11

can you put a little flower over the part that got messed up?

SeptBabyMom Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 11

I realize this is hardly visible in this picture... must be the flash. But the mark is just down from the doll's left hand in toward the middle....

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 11

What about little dots going down the fold. You'd probably have to do all the folds if you did that though...

Or else maybe add on some kind of little overskirt around the waist that doesn't cover up too much of your main skirt....like mabe little strips kind of fairy like. Am I explaining this right??

Or a bow at the waist. That would work too and be pretty quick and easy.

Courtney

mrsw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsw Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 11

What about giving her something to hold, some flowers and have them cascading down with greenery over the imperfection? Nothing too wedding like or maybe a ribbon or a wand or something like that?

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 11

Did you try a little shortening on your fingertip and trying to gently rub it away?If it is really deep scratch try rolling out a teeny tiny worm piece of fondant to fill in then try smoothing it.

girltrapped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girltrapped Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 11

Can you use a fondant tool and smooth it back? What about having her hold a pretty lacy hankerchief?

snowqueen93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowqueen93 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 11

I would make a pink sash that goes around her waist, have one end of the sash cover the spot....

SeptBabyMom Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 9:51pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks everyone, I really wanted to be done with it (aside from the dozen cupcakes to go with it) because I do want to keep it simple. I actually did rub the area and it helped a bit... it's still there but I think I might leave it alone. It's a gift, not getting paid for it or anything.

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 6:02am
post #10 of 11

When I have any marks or pin pricks I place a little of what I roll the fondant out with (potato flour) and rub into the scratch and it disappears. Don't press too hard as you are trying to fill the scratch. Lovely cake. Good luck.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 6:28am
post #11 of 11

This is a little late, but since it's white.. you can easily fill it in with royal icing or even some very soft fondant.. just add some water and crisco until the fondant is very unstable and paste-like.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%