Pricing For Petit Fours

Business By kathrynscakesncookies Updated 21 Sep 2007 , 1:17pm by kathrynscakesncookies

kathrynscakesncookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathrynscakesncookies Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 5:12am
post #1 of 9

I'm trying to get my cake business off the ground(so to speak). I've been doing most of my business with the church that my family goes to. They order petit fours alot and I'm wondering if I'm charging to little or to much for the ones I'm making. I usually charge a $1 each for mine. How much do other people charge? Thanks for any help!

8 replies
KittyPTerror Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittyPTerror Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 5:22am
post #2 of 9

This response will not be very helpful. I have only made petit fours once and will not do it again for less than, say...one meeeeeelion dollars per piece. I understand many other members of this site feel the same way.

kathrynscakesncookies Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 5:44am
post #3 of 9

Yeah, I was pregnant the first time I made them for our church...I was sick the WHOLE 10 months! it was really tough I sore I'd never do them agian but I can't seem to turn them down when they call and ask. My dad and mom work in several different food type business throught their lives and he told me I was not charging enough. His exact words were " well, they got a bargain!". I would really like to get my pricing set before I open a cake business. Petit fours is one of two things I'm having difficulty figuring out my pricing with. The other is wedding cakes and wedding cake package sets, but that's a a different forum question! I can only handle one thing at a time!

darby822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darby822 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 6:18am
post #4 of 9

Sorry, I have no idea how much you should charge for petit fours. I have never made them and every time I think about trying them I realize I have no idea how to do it!

I have a suggestion though, why not persuade your church friends to try something different, like cupcakes? I've managed to convince my friends that cupcakes are cool. What they don't realize is that I prefer making those because they are so easy!

spring55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring55 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 12:02pm
post #5 of 9

We sell tons of petit fours in our shop and you're right, they can be a pain! We charge $1.50 if they are decorated with a rose bud and more if the customer wants a different decoration. Don't be afraid to charge...they can be very time consuming.

Minette

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 12:28pm
post #6 of 9

I'm up to $4 each. People were still ordering them when they were $2 each. hahaha... My petit fours are a pretty generous size. As I describe them, 2 bites for a lady, a mouthful for a man.

Seriously, even using Kathy Scott's molds, it's a ridiculously time consuming venture. I will never again coat with poured fondant or ganache. Life is too short.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 12:46pm
post #7 of 9

Hi Kathrynscakesncookies
I don't make true petit fours, I make a 3 inch round cake by 2inch high I cut it in half and fill then I crumb coat and cover in fondant then I usually put thin stripes on usually 16, eight each of two colors and a bottom border and a full rose on top with leaves I charge $3.00 each but after the first of the year I will begin charging $4.00 each The first of the year is when I adjust my cake prices. I actually made 10 this morning for a bridal luncheon. I will post the picture later on today. I have to deliver them in about 30 minutes and I am still not dressed!
Jibbies

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 12:46pm
post #8 of 9

I usually charge $2.00 a piece for a 1-1/2 in. sq. basic decoration.

I don't know if I am a little nuts or what, but they are not that bad to me. The only part that gets a little intense is the measuring and slicing of the cake. The poured fondant part was a breeze.

kathrynscakesncookies Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:17pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you for everyone's help! You've all been very helpful...I wish I would have found this website sooner! It's GREAT...I've gotten some great ideas in just the few days since I joined!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%