Can I Refrigerate A Fondant Covered Cake?

Decorating By sugarMomma Updated 22 Sep 2007 , 11:40pm by Kavingate

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:12am
post #1 of 10

My cake teacher told us not to, but my cake filling needs to be kept refrigerated, and I need to cover it a few days ahead of time due to my hectic schedule.

Any suggestions?

9 replies
spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:26am
post #2 of 10

don't listen to your cake teacher...I and MANY others here on CC and in the cake world refridge our fondant covered cakes all the time with no issues. Save for one, you will get condesenation on your cake when you pull it from the fridge so be sure not to touch it until it has completly dried. But other than that it'll be fine thumbs_up.gif

tasteebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteebakes Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:32am
post #3 of 10

I don't use Wilton Fondant, I use MMF. But this little guy is sitting in my cooler right now and I have no worries.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1058273

If I couldn't refrigerate it, I would be hard pressed to get my orders done on time.

sugarMomma Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:37am
post #4 of 10

Awesome! Thanks for the quick responses. And with Ace of Cakes on right now, to boot!

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:42am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasteebakes

I don't use Wilton Fondant, I use MMF.

I should also mention that I do not use wilton fondant either, I use satin ice but I don't think the kind of fondant you use should be an issue. Go ahead and refridge away thumbs_up.gif

tasteebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteebakes Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:47am
post #6 of 10

oh well, whoops! I assumed she was using Wilton because she mentioned a teacher and that's what came to mind!

sugarMomma Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:58am
post #7 of 10

It was a Wilton instructor but I learned quickly not to use their horrible fondant. I use Satin Ices usually, but am about to try Pettinice for the first time.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 3:20am
post #8 of 10

In my pics is a cigar box made from chocolate Satin Ice. I refrigerated it, but not the lid or the chocolate cigars. It had cream cheese filling so it really needed to go in the frig.

When I pulled it out, I put it on the counter and aimed a small $10 Walmart fan on low at it (from a distance, not right next to it). Whenever I walked by, I would rotate the cake.

There was very little condensation on it, and I was very careful not to touch it. It turned out fine. I think as long as you pay attention, it's fine.

Delartful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delartful Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 6:17am
post #9 of 10

I wouldn't refidgerate Pettinice icing if I were you. I have in the past (it was on a mud cake) and it was all slimy between the cake and the icing. Not nice.

I have heard you can pop FondX Iced cakes in the fridge without a problem tho thumbs_up.gif

Danni

Kavingate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavingate Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 11:40pm
post #10 of 10

What about MMF?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%