How To Get Red Pourable Fondant Icing That Tastes Good

Decorating By catchingwaves Updated 31 Jul 2005 , 9:05pm by bagadonuts

catchingwaves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catchingwaves Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 4

Can anyone help me with a way to color my pourable fondant to a deep red color (like a red rose). I've just had no luck. Either it's just pink or it tastes terrible. Thanks.
Janice

3 replies
msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 4

I would switch to a rolled fondant instead of poured to do red or maybe pour the white or colored pink ( like a TINTED primer on a wall) fondant Then airbrush with red. If you do not have an airbrush (wish I did) They make a spray foodcolor. Wilton I think ... I saw it at Walmart in the cake mix area.

once I sponge painted a cake to look like water... I watered down some paste color and dabbed on the frosted cake with a paper towel That might work but the color would not be perfectly even probably

Try the no taste red coloring it might help also.

alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 4

[quote="msmeg"]I would switch to a rolled fondant instead of poured to do red or maybe pour the white or colored pink ( like a TINTED primer on a wall) fondant Then airbrush with red. If you do not have an airbrush (wish I did) They make a spray foodcolor. Wilton I think ... quote]

I've had to do a # of cakes that require "red" fondant. I've never worked with poured fondant, but I do that same thing msmeg wrote.
I dye the fondant red (well, as red as it will get) then I use the Wilton spray on food coloring. It works well for me. Just make sure to put plently of newspaper or whatever else you want to use to protect the area, b/c everything will get a coat of red on it. . .

I did a graduation cake recently and although I dyed the fondant black for the cap, I sprayed it afterwards with the food cloring spray, I did it outside real quick over the grass. I wasn't in the mood to have to wipe down the entire kitchen b/c that fine mist gets EVERYWHERE icon_smile.gif

Good luck what ever method you try. thumbs_up.gif

PS: Red & Black are the 2 hardest colors dye fondant with icon_sad.gif also, it's always important to try to color the fondant as well as spraying it with the food coloring b/c if you leave it white & spray it, it can bubble and you'll be able to see the white below it . . .

bagadonuts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bagadonuts Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 4

If you have access to Chef Master products, get their "red powder shade #3c7540. It doesn't take a lot. Give it time to oxidize, because it will get darker. Best I've ever found, and wouldn't use anything else!! Good luck-Carol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%