Stupid Freakin' Water Bath - Can Cheesecake Be Saved?

Decorating By CakesByEllen Updated 30 Nov 2006 , 11:27pm by mthiberge

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 17

All,

I decided to try my hand at making a cheesecake that doesn't crack. In the past, all mine have always cracked. So I read up here and tried a few things. One was to use a water bath. I SWEAR I had double-thickness aluminum foil around the bottom, but water still got in. I was suspicious when I ran a spatula around the inside and the stupid graham crackers seemed mushy. Well, I just took it out of the water bath and took the foil off to confirm that there was definitely water in the foil.

So can this cheesecake be saved? I was going to serve it for Thanksgiving. Should I just save this one for family and make another one? I am so frustrated right now. AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!

16 replies
nichi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nichi Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 17

Maybe you can save the inside of the cake, like the cheesy part or did that get water too?

I would say scoop out the insides and make a triffle or something cool like that, you know deconstructed cheesecake icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 17

sorry girl, it's toast! but you can do as stated above and make a cheesecake triffle or you can freeze the cheesecake --then mellon ball it out---put a stick in it and dip into chocolate and roll into crushed nuts or whatever else you like to make cheesecake pops.

nichi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nichi Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 17

yum cheesecake pops! good idea mkolmar

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 17

Not that this helps you now, but I have found it has to be HEAVY DUTY aluminum foil (the regular thin stuff is not wide enough to cover the bottom properly) Sorry your cheesecake is toast......but those chocolate dipped cheesecake truffles are to die for! thumbs_up.gif

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 17

It's normal for SOME water to be inside the foil---it's condensation from the cheesecakes being cooler than the water and steam, etc...

It freaked me out the first few times, too.

I always use a cake board covered in foil in the bottom of my springforms, though; That way, the cake isn't just sitting right down in the pan so far it can't be saved.

--Knox--

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 10:02pm
post #7 of 17

I have made cheesecakes for years and never used a water bath. I run a knife around the edge of the pan when I reduce the heat. I also run a knife around the edge when I turn the oven off. They don't crack. Sorry this happened to you.

baker4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker4life Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 10:05pm
post #8 of 17

I usually use parchment paper in my springform pan. I overlap a couple of layers and never had a problem since.
I tried foil in the past and had the same problem with the water.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 3:38pm
post #9 of 17

even if a little water gets in, it will be fine. the crust won't be crispy, but after the cake is chilled for a few hours all will be ok, I swear.

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 2:30pm
post #10 of 17

Well, I cut away the outside crust because it was soggy. I left the bottom, and I have to admit, it was the creamiest cheesecake I have ever made or had. You barely noticed the crust wasn't crispy. I guess I will try using the wide aluminum foil next time (heavy duty), so that there is no seam in the foil. I assume that's where the problem came from. I might try using less water next time too.

Thanks for letting me vent!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 2:59pm
post #11 of 17

for future reference what i do is lay out the foil and put two pieces of saran wrap down on top,,,,then i wrap the pan....i have found that the saran reduces the amount of water making for a better crust.

Joanie4464 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanie4464 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 3:10pm
post #12 of 17

The last cheesecake I made I put the bake easy strips soaked with water around the pan.....NO CRACK!! FIRST EVER!!! I also have not had good results with water bath baking my cheesecakes. The one I made was a black forest cheesecake with a choc. gan. on top......mmmmm

doleta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doleta Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 6:56pm
post #13 of 17

I've never heard of cheesecake pops. If there is no such thing, I just may have to invent them! Yummo!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 10:08pm
post #14 of 17

Can someone explain the water bath a little bit??

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 10:12pm
post #15 of 17

there is such a thing as cheesecake pops and they are great!!! Just take the cheesecake, minus the bottom, and make small balls. Attach the sticks and let them hang in the freezer for a bit. Melt some chocolates and coat them and yummy!

baker4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker4life Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 11:17pm
post #16 of 17

merissa,

a water bath is used to prevent the cheesecake from cracking. The mositure is what is supposed to prevent the cracking. I usually get a roasting pan and put a little bit of water in there, and then put my springform pan in the water.
I always use a water bath with my cheesecakes, but I still end up with a crack or two.

HTH!! icon_biggrin.gif

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 11:27pm
post #17 of 17

Cheese cakes usually crack because they are over cooked. I worked in a commercial bakery and we used the waterbath, parchment lined springform pans and wrapped the bottoms in heavy duty alluminum foil...Very rarely did we have cracked cheese cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%