Gum Paste Irises

Decorating By chaptlps Updated 22 Nov 2006 , 2:32am by good36

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 16

Hiya folks,
I have a question as to how to make gumpaste irises. If any of ya'll have a link or something, would you guys be so kind as to pass it my way?
I am making my dd's cake for her wedding and her colors are purple and mint green. No hurry though the wedding isn't til Feb 2008 but then again ya'll can't start to early on these things. Have to make the dresses for the bridal party too, but that's a different thing altogether.
So if any of ya'll have any suggestions that would be most appreciated.
I also have to make my sis's wedding cake in July and she wants an autumn themed (colored) cake. Any ideas on that would be most helpful also.
Thanks you guys!!!

15 replies
chaptlps Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 16

Here is a drawing of the cake I would like to do......any and all suggestions would be lovely.
LL

biviana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biviana Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 16

The other day I saw two like that that I liked. They are not the same but really close. You could PM them to get some help. icon_biggrin.gif

Upload by: Briarview (This Calla Lily Illusion cake was my very first ever Wedding Cake)

Upload by: Lazy_Susan (My First Wedding cake )

Sorry I don't have anything else icon_rolleyes.gif .

chaptlps Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 16

That's ok hun. I really appreciate the input though

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 16

I have a great book that shows how to make irises. It's called Simplifying Sugar Flowers by Alison Procter. I think you'll like it. As for the fall colors, I'm right in the middle of making some. These would be good for any time of year. I'm working with dark orange, purple and various colors of blue. Something to consider.
LL

chaptlps Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 16

thank you fairy tale. Could you please tell me where I can get a copy of this book??? Or steer me in the direction on the net??

Fairytale Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 16

I think I got this one on Amazon. You also might be able to order it from one of the chain book stores. It out of English, as are most of my books.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 12:18am
post #8 of 16

The Iris is not as difficult as it looks.

I did some for the basket of flowers in my pictures section.

Just be certain that each piece is perfectly dry before you wire them together. Make plenty of extra petals in case of breakage.

And just be careful of the angle you dry your petals in. You have to picture how the petal will look when you wire it to the base of the flower. I wasn't totally happy with some of my petals and the angle they dried in.

Fairytale Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 12:25am
post #9 of 16

If you like real flowery work, as I do, there is a totally amazing web site. It's called Wildflowers. She inspired the baby show/hat box cake show in my photo album.

http://www.wildflowersbylori.com/Garden%20cakes.htm

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 12:33am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaptlps

Hiya folks,
I have a question as to how to make gumpaste irises. If any of ya'll have a link or something, would you guys be so kind as to pass it my way?
I am making my dd's cake for her wedding and her colors are purple and mint green. No hurry though the wedding isn't til Feb 2008 but then again ya'll can't start to early on these things. Have to make the dresses for the bridal party too, but that's a different thing altogether.
So if any of ya'll have any suggestions that would be most appreciated.
I also have to make my sis's wedding cake in July and she wants an autumn themed (colored) cake. Any ideas on that would be most helpful also.
Thanks you guys!!!

Nicholas Lodge carries the cutters and all supplies to make these, but he also has a wonderful DVD or VHS tape showing how to make them. Here are some I made with his cutters and instructions.
LL

chaptlps Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 12:49am
post #11 of 16

ty guys,
Shirley, do you mean mr. win beckler's site?
Sorry lately some words delete for some reason when you try to post them. For instance, pip ing gel won't go in for some reason nor the persons website that you mentioned, I wonder why.
O well that's another subject altogether
But if there is a way that you could PM me the addy I would be more than grateful.
Thanks guys once again.

chaptlps Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 1:10am
post #13 of 16

Thank you Shirley that is very helpful and by the way your iris is lovely.

ShirleyW Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 2:11am
post #14 of 16

Thank you. icon_smile.gif
And I have you beat. Five children, three stepchildren, thirteen grandchildren, three great grandchildren! Whew!

chaptlps Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 2:29am
post #15 of 16

LOL right on chica

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 2:32am
post #16 of 16

WOW! They are beautiful! Nice job.
Judy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%