First Wedding Cake.. What Was I Thinking???? Help!

Decorating By froufroucakes Updated 27 Sep 2007 , 2:54pm by vdrsolo

froufroucakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froufroucakes Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 25

I've taken on my first 5-tier wedding cake for a HUGE wedding... and I'm so nervous I could barf! I have so many questions... any advice would greatly be appreciated. I figure I've got to start somewhere. I've only done an anniversary cake before (but it was for family, so it wasn't that big a deal if it collapsed.... and it did!!!!!!). I really need to know...

1. what to use as supports to stack this 5 tiers. In all my others, I've used straws, but I'm afraid that won't cut it for a cake this big. Is there some sort of plumbing gasket or something that would be super-sturdy? icon_biggrin.gif

2. The bride-to-be wants all fondant. In the past, my fondant cakes have buldged out on the sides. What can I do to prevent this?

3. She also wants fondant drapes on the sides (which I am green at). What do you use to hold the drapes onto the cake? toothpicks? I'm afraid the fonant will stretch and fall off.

4. Am I capable of doing this by myself? or should I hire help?

5. I've already had the consultation with the bride and her mother, but I didn't do a cake tasting. Should I call her back to do that?

I'm actually having overwhelming episodes regarding this cake. It's due in November! Any advice/tips/constructive criticism or simply telling me I am out of my mind would be appreciated!

Melissa

24 replies
katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 25

No, straws won't work, you'll need dowels at least that I do know. As far as the rest sorry, I haven't done a wedding cake yet, not ready. Hang in there someone will be to your rescue soon. If you find your post down at the bottom bumb yourself back to the top. Good luck, I'm sure all will be fine. icon_smile.gif If anything do a small practice run on some of the techniques you're not sure of.

Kat

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 25

SPS!! i use straws on cakes up to 3 tiers tall, but i wouldn't trust them on a bigger cake than that. use the bakery crafts single plate system (sps). you can search the forum for more info, as its been discussed a lot. to attach drapes i would use gum glue or RI, both have worked great for me. brush the back of the drapes with the gum glue or RI, and hold it for a few seconds as you place it on the cake. i would do a cake tasting, thats just part of the wedding cake process and i think from the brides perspective its half the fun of planning the wedding! you also want the bride to know what she's getting into, make sure she likes you cake before she signs a contract with you. then if she complains later, you can tell her "well you tasted my cake, this is the same recipe!"

froufroucakes Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:48am
post #4 of 25

Thanks so much... what is RI?

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:50am
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by froufroucakes

Thanks so much... what is RI?

royal icing

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:40am
post #6 of 25

For the bulging part, be sure to create a dam using stiff buttercream before you fill your cakes. Crumb coat your cake the night before you cover in fondant. Leave in the fridge overnight so the cake can settle. Goodluck!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:54am
post #7 of 25

I don't get bulging because I torte my cake a little higher than center and then I scoop out a small layer of cake leaving a cake border around it. I fill the area with filling and the thinist layer of filling around the edge and put the top back on. You wouldn't know the cake had been filled and there is no way that the cake can bulge. I hope that makes sense to you. HTH. I would definately use wooden dowels, not straws for support.

cykrivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cykrivera Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:54am
post #8 of 25

Congrats on the order. Use wooden dowels. For really large or heavy cakes I use the plastic dowels from wilton for the bottom tiers.

For the instances I have done the swags I have used toothpicks, but perhaps this is not what you mean (I'm thinking the long swags) I do remeber that there is a tutorial for drapes and swags somewhere on this site.

Build a dam for you filling, but don't put the dam right on the edge of your cake. Let there be a little space. I like the earlier suggestion about letting the cake settle before covering. I have also been chilling my cakes before covering with fondant. It provides a stiffer cake while working. Also don't go crazy with the filling.

You know better than anyone else if you need extra help for this cake. Practice as much as you can between now and then and maybe ask a friend to help you out for the big day.

If the bride has booked with you and chose her cakes and what not, I wouldn't worry about the tasting. Obviously they were not concerned with it if they had the appt. and booked right away. It must have been a very good appt! Otherwise, if she asks for the tasting, then you can do it.

Good luck and don't freak yourself out too much. You can do this.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:58am
post #9 of 25

I agree wooden dowels, unless you can spend 300.00 on that stress free support system, I sure can't. Anyway , I would stack on site. I've learned a little gumpaste mixed with the fondant makes it stiffer and it doesn't pull so bad . You know overly stretch out? I also agree let it set up a day in advance that helps lots with the bulging problem, also use the thick dam of icing like previously suggested. HTH and do post a picture for us. icon_biggrin.gif

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:15am
post #10 of 25

my suggestion for the budging...

1. bake the night before icing- chill overnight to allow the crumb structure to tighten up. its much easier to crumbcoat this way too- less crumby mess!

2. dam with icing- use a thick sturdy filling and a sturdy cake recipe (a plain cake mix will likely compress under the weight of fondant. try satin ice fondant- it rolls about twice as thin as others like mmf- so its not as heavy. www.satinfinefoods.com www.intotheoven.com

2. use swiss or italian meringue buttercream instead of sugar/butter bc. chill it for an hour to allow setting up, then cover with fondant. the icing base is butter and meringue so its very firm and sturdy, i've not had buldging issues since i began using this. pm me for a good recipe or check the recipe section here. i would recommend shirleyw's recipe (i havent tried it, but i trust her suggestions).

melysa Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:20am
post #11 of 25

support- dowels in each tier and also one long center dowel, sharpened and driven through all five tiers.

swags- i agree with gum glue and royal icing

hire help? - its up to you. i work alone. so i allow one full day to bake and prep fillings, icings etc., one full day to ice, cover and decorate and the wedding day to deliver, set up and serve...and SLEEP! .

tasting- a good idea.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:37am
post #12 of 25

Bulging issues:
Torte your layers, have 3 very thin layers of filling instead of one thicker filling. Crumb coat and let sit overnight, this allows the cake to settle. I use my AGBAY, perfectly level layers. The Wilton leveler is junk.

I also agree with the poster who said to use Bakery Craft SPS (Single Plate System) with this cake. It is a very sturdy system since the plastic legs are attached to the plate above it. No dowel cutting. With a cake this large, if a dowel is off or starts to shift from the heavy fondant cakes, your cake could collapse. I personally, do not use dowels! This system is fairly cheap, and even though it could be disposable, I still ask for a deposit and get it back and keep reusing them.

You can brush a little water to your fondant drapes and attach or make a fondant glue by adding water to some fondant.

Has your bride decided on her flavors and are they written in the contract? I always do a tasting with my consult but it will be up to you if you want to call them back.

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:22am
post #13 of 25

Thanks for all the information, I also have my first wedding cake on October 6, and am nervous as heck, work is very stressfull and I am having to do a lot of prep work this monday, October 1.
Ordered an Agbay, hopefully I get it this week or early next week!!
melysa- why does the swiss meringue work better??, can you cover with fondant and leave out of the fridge?? is it safe?
Anyway froufroucakes, good luck,
Lorene

melysa Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:39am
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlevalleygirl

melysa- why does the swiss meringue work better??, can you cover with fondant and leave out of the fridge?? is it safe?

just in my personal experience, i prefer it. it seems to me that it is much for sturdy and firm than traditional american bc. if you put it in the fridge, it will harden like a stick of cold butter- which makes for a really smooth covering of fondant (provided you smoothed it well before covering). even after it warms back up to room temp, the fondant will hold its shape and the bc will hold the cake and fillings together very well.since i began using this, my buldging has become a non issue, where as before, i'd occasionally see at least a little bit with butter/sugar bc even with precautions. i do like to put thick layers of filling though- and with smbc, i can without any problems. all the recipes i have say its ok to leave it out at a reasonably cool room for up to two days (68-70 degrees). i use the pasturized egg whites in a carton just for further peace of mind, but even without that, if you follow the instructions, you'll be heating the eggs to a high enough temperature to kill bacteria (which is also usually only found in the yolks anyhow). i like to chill the cakes (satin ice chills well) for delivery and then leave them out for a few hours to warm up. the icing definately is easier to eat at room temp. its delicious that way-

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:23pm
post #15 of 25

Thanks for the info!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:21pm
post #16 of 25

Another vote for SPS NOT SFS. I'm sure SFS is lovely but it is insanely expensive.

SPS = Single Plate System and is a BakeryCrafts product. You can purchase it from www.oasissupply.com.

Cost to use SPS for this five tier cake = $15 plus whatever the shipping costs. Plus whatever you use for a bottom plate/board. I consider it to be disposable.

Your cake will be centered and secure. It's a totally easy system to use and if you make your finished cake tier to a height of 4" then there is nothing to cut, as the columns/legs come 4" tall.

Sturdy. Easy. Cheap. What more could you want?

melysa Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:19pm
post #17 of 25

leah, the link isnt working- is it correct?

i didnt realize these were two differnt set ups. thanks for pointing that out.

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:26pm
post #18 of 25

Leah, I didn't know that either.

Thanks so much for pointing out the difference. I thought there was only the insanely expensive kind. (I can't get the link to work either, though)

To the original poster...this sounds like the way to go!

Sounds like you already got lots of good advice, the only thing I might add is to do a practice of at least 3 tiers to get the feel of stacking the cakes and don't deliver more than 2 tiers stacked. (Just read a few of the disaster posts if you're tempted to deliver more tiers stacked, lol, that will sober you up quick)

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:52pm
post #19 of 25

YOU CAN SO DO THIS!!!

Relax and breath! I panicked over a wedding cake too, just because it was my first... it didn't turn out too bad, it was a gift so the bride couldn't complain even if she wanted to.

Anyway, from your pictures, you do beautiful work, just take the advice from the CCers about structural engineering-dowels definitely- and have faith in your talent! I know I do! icon_biggrin.gif

froufroucakes Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 6:10pm
post #20 of 25

[quote=" i like to chill the cakes (satin ice chills well) for delivery and then leave them out for a few hours to warm up. the icing definately is easier to eat at room temp. its delicious that way-[/quote]

Do you live in the South? Reason I'm asking is we were told never to refrigerate fondant because when it comes back to room temp. it will sweat and your decorations will fall off.

mariannedavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariannedavis Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 9:48pm
post #21 of 25

This is the link Leah meant to send to you

http://www.oasisupply.com/Products/Products.asp?CategoryID=65

froufroucakes Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 11:17pm
post #22 of 25

Thanks KrazyKat for your wonderful inspiration. I feel so much more confident now. I am definitely going to order the plate system from OasisSupply. I will post a picture when I do the cake!

SeptBabyMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeptBabyMom Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 12:33pm
post #23 of 25

Seems like you've got tons of great help from everyone here. I made fondant swags for the first time last weekend, I used them on a doll cake. I thought they were way more complicated than they actually were and can't wait to try them again. I just used a little water to keep mine attached to the cake.

Good luck with this cake. I cannot wait to see the final product.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 2:24pm
post #24 of 25

I would definitely use wooden dowels, or something as equally strong. I don't know anything about these other suppor systems but I do use the wooden dowels and they work nicely. For the swags, I always attach mine with piping gel, and it works great. For your bulge problem, I agree with the others, be sure and let your cake set overnight in the fridge before icing and putting on fondant. Another suggestion for bulging, and I think Shirley W. is the one who turned me on to this, is after you dam and fill and put your layers together, there will be a gap between the dam and the outside of cake. Fill that gap in with icing and smooth and you shouldn't have any bulge problems.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 2:54pm
post #25 of 25

You can also purchase Bakery Craft SPS supplies at www.countrykitchensa.com

currently, they only carry the round plates, I have asked them to get the square plates, maybe if enough of us ask they will start carrying them??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%