How To Lose Weight & Cake Decorate? Desperate Help Requi

Decorating By Toniprev Updated 22 Sep 2007 , 8:11am by tyty

Toniprev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toniprev Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 27

OK, so I put on some kilos since May... and have decided I better get back into exercising and eating oh so sensibly so I can comfortably get back into my jeans.... BUT, how is this possible when I have cakes baking and buttercream whipping??? How does one resist the temptation not to eat all the cake cut away.... how do I not taste the buttercream one more time when it is practically begging me to do it??? Does anyone else have this problem? ...or am I the only one with no willpower!!!??
Last week I threw out a lot of chocolate mudcake... but that was only after I was so sick of eating it icon_redface.gif Could we start a support group??????

26 replies
KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 27

Try chewing gum. That seems to help me icon_biggrin.gif K'ly

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 27

How about brushing before decorating? Toothpaste ruins the flavor of everything!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 27

Chew some minty gum. Brush your teeth before you start with something strong and minty. Eat a healthy snack before you start or have something healthy out to snack on while you are doing the cake. Wear rubber gloves, which will help you resist licking your fingers. Throw away or freeze any cake scraps right way. Put your dishes in a sink full of soapy water when you are done with them.

Support groups:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-55486.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-21483.html

vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 27

Toniprev I am felling your pain! I've only been decorating cakes and cookies for a little over a month and I know I've gained weight! I can't stop eating the frosting or cookie dough! I've been trying to chew gum...but I still lick the beaters! AGH!

Toniprev Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 27

I usually brush my teeth to avoid snacking after dinner... so do I just walk around with a a toothbrush permanately in my mouth icon_lol.gif

I just told my sister I am about to throw out all left over cake...(she is my twin and so bloody skinny)!!! icon_mad.gif She just tried to talk me out of it!!! I am determined though!!! I was so good today too.... walked an hour on the beach this morning... ate sensibly all day.. and then that cake had to come out the oven!!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

OK, tomorrow am buying gum!!! (for the first time in my life icon_redface.gif ) don't laugh!!!

Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 27

I know your pain also. it is really bad because the people at work buy my cakes to cut during the day and look at me weird if I don't have a slice so I have the temptation at work and home.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 7:51pm
post #8 of 27

I don't know how to help you. Nothing works for me - I still lick beaters. icon_sad.gif I've tried gum, water, other beverages, brushing teeth, etc.

I just joined Weight Watchers and have decided that I have to stop baking for a while until I make some progress with my weight loss...

But good luck! I hope you find what works for you!

Toniprev Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 8:29pm
post #9 of 27

TEXASSUGAR: Thanks for the links......... having read all 21 pages of 'Pet Peeves' I now realise I am guilty of posting a topic already covered!!! I apologise now to anyone who this has annoyed icon_lol.gif BUT it is comforting to know...I am not alone!!!

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 8:38pm
post #10 of 27

It's funny I've eaten enough while baking that I don't even have an interest in eating any. I've just gotten sick of it. To the point that I have to ask my oldest son or my DH to taste the frosting for me to make sure it's ok.

cCc

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 8:45pm
post #11 of 27

I just have NO will power when it comes to sweets! I had choc. cupcakes I made for a tasting last weekend, had the WRONG date.... now what to do with them.... I ate all but three and FORCED myself to throw them out so I wouldn't eat them!!!

Get some STRONG breath mints, like Altoids, do you have those over there Toni? That might help and is better for your teeth than gum icon_smile.gif

Best wishes my friend!

Jen xxx

wolfsonmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfsonmom Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 8:48pm
post #12 of 27

I am new to this forum so I haven't read all the old posts, so thanks Toniprev, for posting this.

I lost 40 lbs last year by cutting sugar completely out of my diet. Now I am serious about getting my cake biz up and running, which is requiring lots of recipe testing. I am back in to eating sugar big time and I have gained back 3 lbs already. icon_cry.gif

I am hoping I will be able to exercise it off. Now that the cooler weather is here I have no excuses not to be outside walking.

Janet

Toniprev Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 8:59pm
post #13 of 27

I find that if I walk in the morning that is the best... then it is over and done with. I take my children to school, and then park the car and power walk for an hour. If I go home first, then I start organising the house, making beds etc... no exercise done!!!

Tomorrow is another day!! Off to bed now... it is soo late here and I have spent the whole evening with CC !!!!!!

Note to self: BUY MINTS. Failing that.. strong tape to tape mouth shut icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 9:06pm
post #14 of 27

I must be weird, but after years of cake decorating, I've developed an intense dislike for cake, frostings, fillings, etc. I use my family to taste test for me, because I just can't stand the thought of eating one more bite of cake!

A cake decorator who hates cake....weird, I know!

DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 9:07pm
post #15 of 27

HI there,

I find that I am less likely to eat the cake if I have had a good meal/snack before hand. For me, I have to have a lot of protein, like eggs, chicken or even protein powder mixed with milk. Then brush teeth!! If I am hungry, forget it, in my mouth it goes!!!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 9:08pm
post #16 of 27

I'm there too. I did stop baking for a while but I love it sooooo much. I do make deals with myself that if I don't lick or taste then at the end of decorating I get a small spoonful of icing. The way I look at it is that all my BLT's (bites, licks and tastes) during would be way more than a spoonful of icing.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 9:16pm
post #17 of 27

There are many of us out there!! There are a couple of support groups in the lounge forum you can join. The one I am a member of is called Putting Down the Cake Club! You are welcome to join us!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 9:17pm
post #18 of 27

Lots of great ideas here. How about promising yourself a reward if you keep the cake and icing out of your mouth for an entire baking and decorating session?

Maybe hubby can watch the kids while you and a friend go to the movies... or a trip to the mall to buy ONE new article of clothing. No food rewards, tho. icon_wink.gif

Best of luck to you! I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't like cake or icing - but if there's chocolate in the room, you'd better get out of my way! icon_smile.gif

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 9:24pm
post #19 of 27

I have a slice as a treat. Not a daily thing. Try not to make too much and give it away or send it to work with hubby.... they love it!

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 9:31pm
post #20 of 27

I have lost 62 pounds since May of '06. I gained back 9 pounds during my Course 1 class. icon_mad.gif I still allow myself the taste but I count calories so I just put them into my daily allotment. If I go over I have to exercise more to work it off.

I have lost some of the weight since I buckled down and I do taste. When cake are finished and left over I send them to work with hubby. I am starting to get tired of the taste of the cake and the icing. If I do have some its usually only a small bit instead of a cup at a time. icon_rolleyes.gif

vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:38am
post #21 of 27

I just started a thread over in the lounge - Battle of the Bulge - for anyone that is interested in venting or sharing tips or seeking ecouragement...

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 6:08pm
post #22 of 27

Instead of counting calories I just work out regularly. I like to eat dessert and I'm not giving it up! Although, I've actually gotten kind of sick of cake unless I'm making a new flavor.

What really has worked for me is lifting weights! Seriously, this is what I tell everyone but hardly anyone works out with weights. I am down to 135 and a size 6 after three kids all because I lift weights. I also do cardio but weights is the priority, especially legs because they are the largest muscle and really burn the calories and up the metabolism. I don't even go to the gym either. I have barbell and dumbells at home and lots of kick butt DVD's. She is the BEST: http://www.cathe.com/

I've also recently gotten into running even though I didn't think I was a "runner type" and I've committed to doing a 10K and a 10 mile run with a friend. This has helped keep me motivated and it's fun!

LOL, can you tell I feel strongly about fitness??
Courtney

Toniprev Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 7:31pm
post #23 of 27

WOW, I just checked out that website... looks great. I do exercise most days, it just slipped away this summer... i had a lot of family visiting and I was busy busy busy... I was very good today... threw out all carved cake pieces (and there was a lot!!).. also threw out the left over buttercream.

I have also bought hand weights for home.... just keep forgetting they are there!!!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 7:37pm
post #24 of 27

I didn't realize how much I was tasting, tasting, tasting while making a cake. What really worked for me was to put my teeth whitening trays in my mouth while I was baking and decorating. My trays were custom from a dentist, but you could use the store bought ones or even crest white strips. You'll be surprised how many times you go to taste, but with them in your mouth you can't. As a bonus... you'll have really pretty teeth! icon_lol.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 10:15pm
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toniprev

TEXASSUGAR: Thanks for the links......... having read all 21 pages of 'Pet Peeves' I now realise I am guilty of posting a topic already covered!!! I apologise now to anyone who this has annoyed icon_lol.gif BUT it is comforting to know...I am not alone!!!

I only shared those links because I figured they would help you, not because you have posted a topic that has been talked about before. I can assure you those are not the only two threads on here about weight loss. icon_smile.gif

Toniprev Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 7:16am
post #26 of 27

TexasSugar.. I have pm'd you.... but just so everyone knows.... There is no way I was annoyed because you posted those links!!!!! icon_eek.gif I was just laughing because I had just finished reading all 22 pages of the other thread on Pet Peeves......... and I realised I was guilty of one of the 'peeves' mentioned!! !!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 8:11am
post #27 of 27

I am in the process of stopping my cake addiction. I have no problem with the same recipes over and over, but when I try something new, that's when I have a problem. I started decorating cakes 2 years ago, when I started, everyone wanted to know why I didn't gain weight. At first I would just taste cake and frosting. Then about 1 year in I started to sit down and eat slices of cake. That was my downfall. So now I am trying to loose the pounds. I try to eat when I get home before I start on any cakes. If I'm full of healthy food that helps a lot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%