Dlce De Leche- What Should It Look Like

Decorating By SugarBakers05 Updated 20 Sep 2007 , 6:45pm by tiggy2

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 14

Hi all, I tried making Dulce de leche last night for the first time. I tried the oven method where you put in a pan covered in foil, and place that in a pan of water for 1 1/2 hours. At the end, it still looked like condensed milk to me- but tasted good still icon_lol.gif . Now I wonder was it supposed to look like brown caramel, or what? Has anyone tried this and what results do you get? icon_confused.gif

13 replies
Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 14

ok
after you read this your gonna love me.
Dulce de leche is from Argentina- thats where I was born- been eating it all 25 years of my life.
This is the easy cheat way of doing it if you can't find it at the store.

buy a can of condensed milk at the store
at home- take a deep pot- at least 7 inches tall- the width doesnt matter as long as the can fits in there.

put the can of condensed milk (without the label) in the pot- fill it with water
this is really important - the water has to COMPLETELY COVER the can at all time.
Set the pot on the stove and let it boil.

You cannot leave the pot unattended cause your going to have to refill it with water, as the boiled water evaporates.

Its really important that the water always cover the can- otherwise the can can explode and trust me u dont want to have to clean that up- I speak from experience.

You will have to boil the can for about 4 hrs or so.
when the time is up- take the can out and set it aside to let it cool.
Once it is cool , open the can.

The contents should be a cream caramel color- thats dulce de leche

heres a link with pics
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.popular-traditional-argentina-food.com/dulce_de_leche/pour.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.popular-traditional-argentina-food.com/dulce_de_leche/history.html&h=238&w=210&sz=18&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=c5doq7fy4L9PcM:&tbnh=109&tbnw=96&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddulce%2Bde%2Bleche%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

its not supposed to be runny.
It gets runny only if you heat it up
otherwise it should have a semi stiff consistency- it will hold a peak but it will eventually sink back down

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 14

WOW 4hours.. I think I have a can in the pantry.. I might try this!! THANKS! The exploding can kind of scares me though!!!! LOL

SugarBakers05 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 14

hmmm... oh. Although mine was still looked liked condensed milk, after it was sort of thick, but then after cooling off, it was thicker, and turned a very very, light brown. I've heard of the method you described, but I got scared because alot of people said it might be dangerous or something, so I tried the other way. Thanks for the insight, just the same icon_smile.gif

Auryn Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 14

no worries
its not really dangerous
you just cant set it and leave it.
I would say to try it on a baking day, that way your in and out of the kitchen anyway and can keep an eye on it.

The only time a can ever exploded was when my aunt set it to boil and then went to take a 3 hr nap, so the thing dried up completely.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 14

What is the shelf life once it's boiled? I have a can I boiled a few months ago and haven't used yet will it still be good if it hasn't been opened?

Auryn Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 4:29pm
post #7 of 14

I would open it and try it.
If its very very grainy and it looks like might have crystallized, I wouldn't eat it, but Ive never heard of anyone getting sick from it if it hasnt been opened

granted ive never seen a can last more than a day or two.

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 4:33pm
post #8 of 14

i always thought dulce de leche was a special kind of cake....so its just like a carmel colored goo that you put on top of the cake?

valerieInga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerieInga Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 4:43pm
post #9 of 14

I've tried the boiled can method too. I didn't know that was the name I was just told it was an easy way to make caramel. I used it as a filling for making chocolates and it was easy and delicious.

JenLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenLen Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 14

OK Auryn, noone has said it, so I will. I Love You! icon_smile.gif lol! This sounds so easy, I am definetly going to give this a try this weekend!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Jen

Auryn Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 4:53pm
post #11 of 14

my pleasure
dulce de leche is one of my fave things in the world

if you want I can give you some quick scrumptious recipes to use it in

SugarBakers05 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 5:58pm
post #12 of 14

HAHAHA! That's funny Aruyan! I guess they give that warning to cover every kind of scenario that might happen-like falling asleep! I'll try it soon and see how it goes, thanks again icon_razz.gif

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:27pm
post #13 of 14

Auryn, please give us the recipes.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:45pm
post #14 of 14

Somethng I learned when I boiled mine is to use a pan you don't really care about as the metal from the can will leave a permanent ring inside of the pan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%