Chrome Cake????

Decorating By Audrea Updated 21 Sep 2007 , 5:19pm by mamacc

Audrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Audrea Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 9

My boyfriend is a major Coon Hunter. I want his birthday cake to look like his dog box, which is silver diamond plated. how can i get my entire cake to look like chrome? any suggestions would be appreciated!

8 replies
albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 9

Maybe- cover in fondant and paint it with silver luster dust? I'm not sure f that's the right color or look. Do you have a pic of the object?

Audrea Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 9

This is what i want it to look like.
LL

mistypup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistypup Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 12:28am
post #4 of 9

For that color, I would recommend painting with Nu Silver (instead of silver). Nu Silver is a bit lighter than silver luster dust and I'm sure many places will have it. I get mine through CK.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 12:29am
post #5 of 9

Mix it with some pearl dust to give it the shine and shimmer

mariannedavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariannedavis Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 12:39am
post #6 of 9

I just got all the newest satin, silver, gold, and silk luster dusts at http://www.lorrainescakesupply.com/ and they were $3 each...a bargin !

Audrea Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:30pm
post #7 of 9

Great. Thanks so much for the ideas. Next question, i've never worked with dust. what do i use to dust it on with and how much would it take to do an entire cake?

Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 9

I used Luster Dust mixed with lemon extract to paint the mag wheels on a cake. The wheels were made out of Satin Ice fondant. The cake is in my photos under From Bears to wheels or something like that. I just painted them with a paint brush until they were the color I wanted. For a whole cake you would probably use at least 2 of the containers. Just guessing though.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 5:19pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrea

Great. Thanks so much for the ideas. Next question, i've never worked with dust. what do i use to dust it on with and how much would it take to do an entire cake?

Probably the easiest to do is spray it on with an airbrush or the preval sprayer. If not you can paint it on too. I've also heard that mixing in pearl dust with the silver gives it a more "chrome" look.

GL!
courtney

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%