This Looks Odd..tips For Improvement?

Decorating By treys_girl04 Updated 22 Nov 2006 , 1:10am by meghabyte

treys_girl04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
treys_girl04 Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 4:14am
post #1 of 20

this was a practice for a wedidng next year. i was trying to get the rounded look of fondant with BC...but it looks kinda UFOish to me how can i get that rounded look? i cut off the sharp edges on this one, but im not happy with it. im also not thrilled with my first attempt at scrollwork. i freehanded these..is there a better way?

19 replies
czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 4:18am
post #2 of 20

Hello! I like your cake idea and design!

For the scrollwork, Wilton sells a template set that work sort of like stamps and leave an impression in the icing to trace over. I do not own one (yet!) but it looks like it would work.

Maybe the top corners of the cake were cut at too sharp of an angle?

I really like your scrolls and dots design!

treys_girl04 Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 4:23am
post #3 of 20

tyicon_smile.gif looking at the pic made me remember that i need to smash my dots down..looks like the cake of death right now! lol

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 4:24am
post #4 of 20

I think your off to a great start! I agree with czyadgrl, you might have cut the edge off a too sharp an angle. You really only need to round the top edge a little bit. Also, the scroll presses from Wilton work great! You just have to let your icing sit a bit to crust (or put it in the fridge for a while if you use butter in your icing) and then press it lightly into the side of the icing and then just pipe over it. On my first wedding cake in my photos and the one that looks similar with the purple roses I used those presses. And actually even on my SIL's wedding cake in my photos I used the press that looks like a vine.
Keep it up!
HeatherMari

nichi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nichi Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 4:25am
post #5 of 20

I agree with czyadgrl maybe a little to sharp a cut. The general design looks good to me too.

Can I ask why you want it to have a curved edge? Just curious.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 4:29am
post #6 of 20

To get the rounded look of fondant you can use parchment paper (like the viva method of smoothing) to smoothyour icing and round the edges. Works good and then icing looks like fondant.

Your cake looks better than you think. Gets better with practice and as czy.. suggested the stamps work also.

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 4:40am
post #7 of 20

In this tutorial, she explains how she uses a rounded piece of plastic cut from a soda bottle to round the edges:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article10-How-To-Create-Faux-Fondant-The-Paper-Towel-Method----Viva.html

My Michael's sells a 9-inch round contour pan that would work great. It was in with the character pans.

This is it: http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30AC61-475A-BAC0-576DFD7F18559E1D

Good luck!

treys_girl04 Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 4:58am
post #8 of 20

its at the brides request icon_smile.gif the pic she gave me looks like fondant, but she doesnt like fondant, so i told her id play around with the BC.

thanks for the help guys!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 5:17am
post #9 of 20

You can buy a set of contoured pans and just bake the top layer of the cake in them, the bottom layer in a regular round pan. Here is a sample cake I made that way, it is iced in Italian Meringue buttercream. It is almost impossible to get a faux fondant look with powdered sugar based buttercream, it can be done but it takes hours of work.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=ShirleyW&cat=0&pos=172

roosterroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roosterroses Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 6:11am
post #10 of 20

I love Wilton's scroll impression set! really helps! one of my cakes in my photos uses it. I also agree with the contour pans - they will save you a lot of time.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 6:37am
post #11 of 20

The only thing I think I could add to what everyone said is I think it would look better if both the top and the sides had the same tip used for the scroll work. I really love the top look better.

That being said, I think you are off to great start. I'm sure once you do the real cake you will step back and look at it and say "Wow! I'm good!"

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 6:59am
post #12 of 20

yeah personally i like the smooth scrolls......like the ones on top......i have the wilton press set and yeah its great for this......im sure you could do it free hand but the press just helps speed it along

mnmmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnmmommy Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 7:00am
post #13 of 20

I think it's pretty. You're off to a good start. The only thing I thought of when I saw it was what about not putting the dots around the top? I like the scrollwork and the dots on the side.

Good luck!

denise4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise4 Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 8:06am
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastingmoments

yeah personally i like the smooth scrolls......like the ones on top......i have the wilton press set and yeah its great for this......im sure you could do it free hand but the press just helps speed it along

Got to agree with you on the smooth scrolls, I've always thought they look more elegant......

DOLFIN....How did you find that picture of me and use it as avatar.... icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

Denise

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 1:08pm
post #15 of 20

couldn't find a dancing pumpkin!

sweeteecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteecakes Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 1:16pm
post #16 of 20

It's an original. I love it!!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 8:54pm
post #17 of 20

Hi ShirleyW,
You make beautiful cakes. Please give me the recipt for your Italiam Meringue Butter cream. I would love to try it, yours looks awesome & I'm sure tastes awesome too.
Thanks
June

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 9:06pm
post #18 of 20

I once made a strawberry cake in the 8x3 inch pan and the edges on one side stuck. I couldn't "glue" them back on so I cut the rest of the edges instead. The ones that tore off and what I cut was pretty much at a 45 degree angle. Once I iced it, it looked exactly like it had been baked in the contour pan! I personally like using viva for smoothing round edges.

For scrolls there's the wilton press set. Someone else on here mentioned she used thin cardboard (like a cereal box) and rolled half around a dowel and then the other half the other way and would end up with a scroll design on the ends. Did that make sense at all? I thought it was neat because you could really customize it and get it to look the way you want.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 9:16pm
post #19 of 20

I used the Wilton scroll press set on a simple wedding cake I made. It is in my pictures. They were very easy to use.

meghabyte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghabyte Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 1:10am
post #20 of 20

Freehanding scrolls just takes some practice- if you practice doodling scrolls just on paper while you're talking on the phone or watching tv or something, maybe that would help you without needing to buy anything extra.
You'll do great!
icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%