I Don't Know What I Am Going To Do-I Need Help

Decorating By sunflowerfreak Updated 21 Sep 2007 , 12:50am by ckkerber

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 25

I am doing a bridal shower for 70 people next weekend. I am in charge of cakes, cookies and cupcakes. I am making a 4 tier cake and a single square cake and about 48 cupcakes. I have tried out the flourless chocolate cake, that crumbled. I tried the pink champagne cake, that tastes like bread. I have tried the peach cupcakes which were delicious. I made a butter cake but haven't tasted it yet. I am trying to come up with 5 different cake flavors with different fillings. One of them has to be gluten free but I think I found another recipe to try for that one. But I need your help with the other 4 flavors. Does anyone have any slightly unusual flavors of cake they would share? Thanks.

sunflowerfreak

24 replies
rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 25

I made a 4 tier cake this past weekend and mixed the flavors also. I made one strawberry, one manderine, one bananna, and one pinnapple. I'd be happy to share any of the recipes if you like. Although the only one of these that are completly from scratch is the bananna nut one.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 25

Sun I am not a pro at all BUT...I would suggest doing one WASC and one CASC those are awesome!! My best selling cake besides my cajun coconut icon_smile.gif. I'd do the white with a strawberry preserve filling and the chocolate with a chocolate bc filling or even a thick ganache or truffle filling.

You could do a coconut with a 7 minute type of frosting in the middle layered with coconut sprinkled on the filling icon_smile.gif

texasseegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasseegirl Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 1:54am
post #4 of 25

you didn't say if you needed a flavor for your cupcakes but I highly recommend the Scrumptious Strawberry Lemonade cupcakes by CC member Ishi. The recipe is posted in the recipe section. These are always a huge hit when I make them - family and friends are starting to request them now! icon_lol.gif

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:50am
post #5 of 25

Here's the flourless chocolate cake recipe I use:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/5872

I make it with Ghirardelli 60% chocolate and it's amazing! Just make sure not to overbake - the toothpick will not come out clean on this one.

katro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katro Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 3:02am
post #6 of 25

My MIL can't have gluten and so I have messes around with A LOT of flourless cakes and desserts. Flourless chocolate cake like the one posted is the best. It is like a real dessert that everyone can eat not just the person who can't have flour. I would try that recipe for that cake.....and it freezes well.
Most people like carrot cake it always seems to be a hit when I take it places. Try a lemon cake with a fruit filling is always good.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 3:12am
post #7 of 25

Wow, you're going to have a lot of cake! 48 cupcakes AND a 4-tier cake AND a single square cake?? for only 70 people?

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 3:29am
post #8 of 25

I have to agree with indydebi that sounds like alot of cake for 70 people!

dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 3:37am
post #9 of 25

I have made the white chocolate rapsberry cake (recipe on this site) and I have also made the same recipe but substituted black cherry for the raspberry AWESOME!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 3:38am
post #10 of 25

how about hummingbird cake, which is pinnapple and banana and something else. i have a couple of recipes for that one. and i just tryed a new one called almond cream cheese pound cake. Everyone of my beading buddies loved it. this week i am going to make the hummingbird cake, to see what they think of that one. they love taste testng my new cakes. LOL

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 3:39am
post #11 of 25

I love the flavor of Vanilla Chai cake with vanilla bean buttercream. Also, the WBH Freckled Mocha cake (mocha chip essentially) with Bailey's Irish Cream mousse. I recently made an awesome banana cake with toffee cream filling - YUM!

I'm happy to share any recipes you might like! I agree, though, that you're making a LOT of cake. Was that much cake requested?

adawndria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adawndria Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 3:40am
post #12 of 25

The strawberry lemonade cupcakes are great on this site! I subbed lemonade for the buttermilk and it was still tasty!

Jesjacster2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesjacster2 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 4:01am
post #13 of 25

Hi ckkerber ....I sure would like to have that Vanilla Chai cake with vanilla bean buttercream.
and WBH Freckled Mocha cake (mocha chip essentially) with Bailey's Irish Cream mousse
recipes if you would be so kind to share, Tina

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 5:02am
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Sun I am not a pro at all BUT...I would suggest doing one WASC and one CASC those are awesome!! My best selling cake besides my cajun coconut icon_smile.gif. I'd do the white with a strawberry preserve filling and the chocolate with a chocolate bc filling or even a thick ganache or truffle filling.

You could do a coconut with a 7 minute type of frosting in the middle layered with coconut sprinkled on the filling icon_smile.gif

Can some one tell me what is CASC ???? and if its chocolate sour cream ,can I have the recipe.Thank you.

jazzinitup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jazzinitup Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 5:21am
post #15 of 25

All recipes I have are Russian ones not sure which one u might like..but a lot of the times I just bake simple sponge:

4 eggs,1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of flour, 1 t.s of baking powder,3 tbsp. hot water, 3 tbsp. vegatable oil
Beat eggs and sugar till pale yellow color. In separate bowl mix sifted flour+baking powder. Add to eggs and mix with spatula.Add hot(boiling) water and oil and again mix with spatula. Pour into greased and floured baking pan and bake in preheated oven(350F) for about 20 min.

This is my basic recipe that I adapt to any cake, you can double it, substitute some flour (1 tbsp)with cocoa to make chocolate cake etc.. This is also my saver when i need to add hight to cakes.

As for the filling you can use anything you want with it. For example you can prepare a different flavor pudding(from scratch or store bought doesn't matter), cool it. Separately cream buter(unsalted) with confectioner's sugar and then gradually add cooled pudding.
I like this filling since you can make it different flavor (and color) depending on what pudding you use. I love using vanilla or banana cream instant puddings just to save time but when I do have time I will prepare them from scratch. A different version of this filling is istead of butter to use heavy cream, beat it with confectioner's sugar till stiff and them combine with cooled pudding-tastes like melted ice cream thumbs_up.gif . By the way this filling (whipped cream+banana cream pudding) is just heavenly with chocolate cake. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkerber

Also, the WBH Freckled Mocha cake (mocha chip essentially) with Bailey's Irish Cream mousse. I recently made an awesome banana cake with toffee cream filling - YUM!
I'm happy to share any recipes you might like! I agree, though, that you're making a LOT of cake. Was that much cake requested?

Please,please can u share the above mentioned recipes or link to where I can look them up..they sounds so delisious.. icon_smile.gif

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 5:34am
post #16 of 25

all this talk about differant cakes and fillings is making me hungery icon_razz.gif

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 10:28am
post #17 of 25

Wow thanks for all of the suggestions. These are going to be the sole dessert for the bridal shower. We are expecting 70 people. The tiered cake is only going to be a 12, 10, 8 and 6 inch. I'm not sure about the square yet. But we are going to cut the cakes into nice sized pieces, not wedding slices. Yes there might be leftovers but people will take home extras.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 10:32am
post #18 of 25

Sounds like fun!! I LOVEEEE BIG pieces of cake icon_smile.gif Don't forget to tell us what you end up using for the flavors icon_smile.gif

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 11:17am
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkerber

I love the flavor of Vanilla Chai cake with vanilla bean buttercream. Also, the WBH Freckled Mocha cake (mocha chip essentially) with Bailey's Irish Cream mousse. I recently made an awesome banana cake with toffee cream filling - YUM!

I would also LOVE the recipe for the chai cake with vanilla bean buttercream. Chai is one of my favorite things, sounds great for a cake!

ckkerber Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 10:56pm
post #20 of 25

The vanilla chai cake is easy - I use the King Arthur's White Cake recipe and instead of adding the 1 cup of milk, I sub in 1 cup of brewed vanilla chai tea (room temp). It is so delicious. Here is the recipe:

Vanilla Chai Cake (King Arthur White Cake tweaked)

8 tablespoons (1 stick, 4 oz.) butter, softened
1/2 cup (3-1/4 oz.) vegetable shortening
1 tablespoons (1/2 oz.) baking powder
1-3/4 cups (12-1/4 ounces) sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract

-- Cream together until light. 5 min. or more.

5 large egg whites (6 to 7 oz.)

-- Add egg whites one at a time and beat well after
each addition.

2-3/4 cups (11 oz.) cake flour
1 cup (8 oz.) brewed vanilla chai tea at room temperature

-- Stir in flour and tea, alternating between the
two, starting and ending with the flour. (i.e. 1/3
flour, 1/2 tea, 1/3 flour, 1/2 tea, 1/3 flour)

-- Bake at 350. 25-35 minutes or until done.

Here is the link for the vanilla bean buttercream. It is heavenly - but it is a traditional buttercream in that it's straight butter, no shortening so it would not be good for piping. But as a filling it is heavenly! I love it on cupcakes, too. It was in Oprah's O magazine:

http://www2.oprah.com/foodhome/food/recipes/food_200504_vbfrost.jhtml

The WBH Freckled Mocha cake can be found here:

http://www.murrayhill5.net/blog/inmykitchenblog/archives/000444.html

And finally, the Bailey's Irish Cream Mousse recipe:

Whip at high speed until stiff:
2 cups heavy cream
4 T. confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Gently fold in 1/4 cup Bailey's Irish Cream.

ckkerber Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 11:01pm
post #21 of 25

oops! Forgot the banana cake recipe. I found it on epicurious and it is hands down the best banana cake I have ever had. Very moist and tender with a whole lot of flavor:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/2293

And the toffee cream filling is one that I found posted on another board (by SugahSugah):

Toffee Cream Filling

2 tablespoons dark rum
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
10 tablespoons crushed English toffee candy

1 (16 ounce) jar caramel ice cream topping, warmed
1/2 cup crushed English toffee candy

Pour 2 tablespoons rum into small heavy saucepan and sprinkle gelatin over. Let stand until gelatin softens, about 10 minutes. Stir over low heat just until gelatin dissolves, then remove from heat. In a large bowl, beat chilled whipping cream and 3 tablespoons powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Beat in gelatin mixture. Fold in English toffee pieces.

When filling the cake, pour a little of the warmed caramel sauce over cake layer and let it soak in a bit...but don't use too much or it'll ooze out between layers...you want it to be pretty much soaked into the cake with maybe a little extra laying on top of the cake layer. Next do your icing dam. Then sprinkle some of the extra 1/2 cup of toffee pieces over the layer and then put in the toffee cream filling. Continue/repeat w/the rest of your layers.

*** Pairs well with a spice cake and caramel buttercream or choc. cake w/dark choc. frosting.

onegr8girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onegr8girl Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 11:13pm
post #22 of 25

ckkerber...you gave me so many ideas for the weekend! I'll be cooking every spare moment.

Ginnycakes3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ginnycakes3 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 11:32pm
post #23 of 25

ckkerber,
Thank you for posting recipes! They all sound deliciouse. I cant wait to make the Vanilla Chai cake. I love Tai Chai tea and have been drinking it for a few years now. MMmmm.. Thank's again!

alittlesliceofhaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alittlesliceofhaven Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 11:59pm
post #24 of 25

ckkerber,

Thank you for posting all the yummy recipes! I don't know which combo I want to try first. Being new to cake baking I forget about other websites out there with good recipes!

Thanks for sharing your finds and experiences!!

p.s. my sister has the same birthday as you

ckkerber Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 12:50am
post #25 of 25

I'm more than happy to post them - I hope you guys like them as much as I do. If anyone comes up with alternate flavor combos, let me know!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%