Fondant Vs. Bc Ball Border

Decorating By jlfreedman Updated 23 Nov 2006 , 1:20am by playingwithsugar

jlfreedman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlfreedman Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 6

I'm doing a Sweet 16 cake that is going to have a ball border. The cake itself will be covered in fondant, with fondant circles on the bottom tier and BC swirls on the top. I was planning on just using the BC for the ball border as well. Does anyone see a problem with this? It seems much easier than rolling out hundreds of little balls. Is there anything wrong with mixing fondant & BC accents from a professional point of view?

5 replies
Titansgold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Titansgold Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 6

I think it should look just fine that way. Might be a nice contrast of texture

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 6

u can always use royal icing instead of BC, here in SA, that is the traditional way of doing borders on wedding cakes

jlfreedman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlfreedman Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 1:04am
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think the royal would go over that big here. I think people prefer the taste & texture of buttercream.

sweetthingcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetthingcakery Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 1:10am
post #5 of 6

I think it would be just fine. The problem I've had is matching the color if you want the balls/beads to be the same color as your fondant covering. you might consider, if you haven't already, doing a contrasting color if you use BC so the color won't be an issue.

If you had time to order it, the bead makers are awesome!

Good Luck!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 1:20am
post #6 of 6

If you see a definite contrast between the two, dust the balls with some pearl dust. Nothing like getting a pearl necklace for your birthday, right, so why not give one to the cake!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%