Using Shellac?

Decorating By sillychick Updated 20 Sep 2007 , 6:02pm by albumangel

sillychick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillychick Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 8

Yikes, I haven't used my confectioners shellac since I bought it and can't remember how to use it. Seems like in class we dusted and then shellac'd but I'm just not sure. It must have been that way because the shellac wouldn't have had time to dry in class before dusting, right? I just don't wan't to ruin any of the gp pieces I've already made by experimenting when someone might know the answer!

7 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 8

I dust first, then use the confectioner's glaze afterwards.

Deanna

Liz1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz1028 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 8

Hey everyone!

I have been looking for a product like this for some time.

Please advise on where to purchase and on how exactly to use.

Much appreciated!

Liz

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 8

My local cake shop carries it but you can get it online at cake supply distributors. It's a food-grade shellac that can be brushed onto dried gumpaste pieces to give it a shine. You can use it full-strength or dilute it. Some people prefer to dip their gumpaste pieces into the glaze rather than brush it on.

HTH,
Deanna

sillychick Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you! I was wondering about diluting it...I put a few drops of warm water in a cup and put in a few drops and tried to stir it with the applicator brush and it kind of seized up so I dumped it and rinsed and dried my brush - fearing if I got any water in my shellac that I would ruin it. I didn't even really try to stir it up, how silly! I thought I had remembered that it was dilutable but then got in a panic. Thanks again!

MandyBs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyBs Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 8

Here's a recipe for homemade varnish you might want to try if you don't have time to order:

3 teaspoons water
1 teaspoon gelatin
1 teaspoon glucose

Sprinkle gelatin in water and let stand until absorbed. Then dissolve until clear over hot water (not boiling). Add the glucose and stir until combined. Pour into airtight container (baby food jar is great). This will get very stiff when cool. To use it, reheat the varnish in its container, sitting in hot, not boiling water. Paint this on your flower, leaf, etc. while it is still hot. Do not store this in the refrigerator.

sillychick Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 8

Awesome!!! Thank you so much for sharing that, I can't wait to try it!

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:02pm
post #8 of 8

Me too! Thanks for posting! I've been planning a car cake & was wondering how to give it a shine!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%