Can I Use Antonia74's Royal Icing On Cake?

Decorating By malika Updated 21 Sep 2007 , 6:22pm by antonia74

malika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malika Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 5

I was wondering if I can use Antonia's Royal Icing on a cake to fill in a design. I was also wondering if I can use it on wax paper and if it will dry stiff enough to move the piece on a cake.

4 replies
malika Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 5

Has anyone tried it?

mom_of_4girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom_of_4girls Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 5

BUMP!

malika Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for bumping!
I PM'd Antonio and she says no because of the oils in buttercream. I completely forgot about that!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 5

You can't pipe a big design directly onto a buttercream cake and have it dry hard, no....but you can pipe the design onto parchment paper (thick and large enough so that it doesn't break!), let it dry for a few days if it's big and then transfer it onto your cake, yes. Royal icing isn't great in the fridge for extended periods, it tends to soften up especially when condensation occurs as the cake is coming back up to room temp from the fridge...so maybe put it on the cake at the last minute?

Do use parchment paper for the piped design though, not wax paper! I made the mistake of piping royal icing snowflakes onto waxed paper for a cake and they were still not dry after 2 days. Waxed paper didn't work nearly as well...and it wrinkles easily. thumbsdown.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%