What Do You Charge For Character Pan Cakes??

Decorating By darrahmomof3 Updated 21 Sep 2007 , 12:31pm by darrahmomof3

darrahmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darrahmomof3 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 34

I have not done many of the character pans, prefer to be more creative with my cakes, its more fun. I have a request for the rubber ducky and the cuddly bear that stands up by Wilton. I was wondering what you all would charge for these. They are only about a box and a half cake mix, but I am sure still plenty of work involved. I figured I would do a fondant diaper on the bear and maybe some fondant on the duck. Just looking for some advise. Thanks!

33 replies
darrahmomof3 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 34

Anyone!!??? I know there is someone out there. icon_smile.gif I need your help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't want to over charge, but I don't want to cheat myself either. Everyone always says that I am cheating myself.

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 34

I just did a search on the internet and found this one place that said:
$30 for simple cake of your choice, vanilla or chocolate. $40 for same as above but with one layer of filling.

From reading the forum here I have heard anywhere from $30 to $40 also.
Hope this helps,
Susie

darrahmomof3 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 34

Thank you SOOOOOOOOO much!!! I had told her $30 a piece so I should be good.Thanks

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 34

I charge $3 a serving for 3D buttercream iced cakes

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 34

Okay, no one else is going to rain on your parade, so I will. Be aware selling most character cakes is illegal. The copyright police might get you. Wilton character pans are for home use only, not commercial.

darrahmomof3 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

I charge $3 a serving for 3D buttercream iced cakes

Do you happen to know how many the duck and bear serve. I still have to get the pans.

darrahmomof3 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 5:56pm
post #8 of 34

Thanks for letting me know. I have not bought the pans yet. I thought it was just the actual copyrighted characters(Dora, superman,etc...) Thanks

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 6:05pm
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakado

Okay, no one else is going to rain on your parade, so I will. Be aware selling most character cakes is illegal. The copyright police might get you. Wilton character pans are for home use only, not commercial.

The 3D duck & bear pans are NOT copyrighted! That's only for licensed character pans - you can use the generic pans as you see fit, including selling them!

I personally charge at least $50 each for those pans because I hate doing all those stars and they are a PITA! Make sure to either use a pound cake mix or doctor a normal mix, or they are likely to collapse, I also never use the core, it makes it far more stable without it! Good luck.

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 6:13pm
post #10 of 34

I have about 70 something character pans...not all of them are characters..if that makes sense...how do i find out if they are copyrighted? I have heard that u cant sell the character pan cakes so ill do the ones that arent.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 6:15pm
post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letmebeurdesignr

I have about 70 something character pans...not all of them are characters..if that makes sense...how do i find out if they are copyrighted? I have heard that u cant sell the character pan cakes so ill do the ones that arent.

It's simple - they have 'For home use only' stamped into the metal of the pan near the Wilton name and pan ID number. Basically, if it's something from tv/movies/Disney etc, it'll be copyrighted. Hope that helps!

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 6:27pm
post #12 of 34

thanks..ill have to check them...havent even looked..EBAY here i come!

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 6:46pm
post #13 of 34

I did the cuddly bear cake for July (used the 3D cake recipe from here and it was perfect)
I found a few threads on here that say that all the shaped pans serve about 12.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-53321.html
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-379753.html

also, on my cake, I was advised to charge $2.50 /serv ($30) on the bear part of the cake...
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-385383.html

HTH!

darrahmomof3 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 10:35pm
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakado

The 3D duck & bear pans are NOT copyrighted! That's only for licensed character pans - you can use the generic pans as you see fit, including selling them!

I personally charge at least $50 each for those pans because I hate doing all those stars and they are a PITA! Make sure to either use a pound cake mix or doctor a normal mix, or they are likely to collapse, I also never use the core, it makes it far more stable without it! Good luck.

Thanks for your help. I thought that was the case, but it scared me when she said that they were copyrighted. Like I said, I have not bought the pans yet so I did not know either way. Thanks a million!!!!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 5:21am
post #15 of 34

I refuse to do them for customers. It is illegal for anyone to reproduce any of the licensed character pans for profit

Accepting money or an exchange of goods constitutes a business transaction. Once a business transaction has been conducted on that copyrighted image you legally owe a royalty fee to the copyright holder. Some of the royalty fees for use of the more popular characters can be up to $16,000 per use from what I have heard and researched.

And yes... these copyright holders do have lawyers dedicated only to finding their image being reproduced, especially in the cake industry.

If you decide to do them I highly recommend that you do not post pictures of the completed cake on the internet (on your website if you have one) even just to show it off and absolutely do not associate any price to them. Some of these copyright owners do and will go after you very aggressively for every drop of money you have to your name (no I am not kidding). They will not cut deals nor will they drop charges.

I dont mean to be a spoil sport and am not trying to scare you. I just want to prepare you for what you are getting into doing them for money.

If you are in doubt as to which pans you can use check the pan itself on the exterior. It will read "for home use only" or "for domestic use only".

Anything here is a no no to sell,

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/department.cfm?id=3E305373-475A-BAC0-568B7A518C89E9F1&fid=3E306015-475A-BAC0-5EB2716562777010

Anything from here is ok to sell,

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/department.cfm?id=3E3050A4-475A-BAC0-5C5F5E1F588745A3&fid=3E305D47-475A-BAC0-51F3A0DEB1C54219

Happy baking.

darrahmomof3 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 1:00pm
post #16 of 34

CarolynGwen---------Well, I checked the Wilton sight you listed and the 2 they wanted are NOT copyrighted. IT is the duck and bear, so I should be fine. I have gotten so many different reactions, I don't know what to do. I will not be doing ANY of the copyrighted ones. I had no idea that my little post would get people thinking I was trying to do copyrighted cakes! I thought before I posted it that the ones that I was doing were ok to do for profit (the duck and bear for a baby shower). IF I am wrong PLEASEEEEE let me know. I am confused now!!!

susies1955 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 1:42pm
post #17 of 34

Darrah,
You did nothing wrong and you didn't stir anything up. Some people are just more intense than others.
icon_biggrin.gif
That's all I've ever done is character cakes but I have never sold any either. icon_smile.gif
Just use those links that CarolynGwen gave you to determine which are not to be sold and which ones you can. Nothing to be confused over.
Have fun,
Susie who loves to do character cakes.

darrahmomof3 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 1:51pm
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by susies1955

Darrah,
You did nothing wrong and you didn't stir anything up. Some people are just more intense than others.
icon_biggrin.gif
That's all I've ever done is character cakes but I have never sold any either. icon_smile.gif
Just use those links that CarolynGwen gave you to determine which are not to be sold and which ones you can. Nothing to be confused over.
Have fun,
Susie who loves to do character cakes.

Thanks for your support! I would never try to do something illegal( God only knows I have enough problems without being a criminal)!!!!!

So have we come to the determination that the bear and the ducky are OK to do? They were on the wilton page that were said to be ok to do. Does anyone have the pans currently??? Do they say for home use only???? I don't want to go buy them if so. Please fill me in. I am so frustrated with this.

susies1955 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 1:54pm
post #19 of 34

Darrah,
You answered your own quesiton. You wrote:
"They were on the wilton page that were said to be ok to do."
Relax and have fun.
Susie

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:06pm
post #20 of 34

What about doing the NFL jerseys or the one I like to do the Ohio state block "O" or replicating other popular symbols. Is this a no-no??

darrahmomof3 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:24pm
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by susies1955

Darrah,
You answered your own quesiton. You wrote:
"They were on the wilton page that were said to be ok to do."
Relax and have fun.
Susie

I know. I am just a natural born worrier!! So, now I am worried. I am always second guessing myself!

As for the NFL question, who knows!!! I always thought if you freehanded it, you were ok. But I saw on here before where someone said that was not ok either!!! ARRRRR, who new you could go to jail for a cake!!!!!! I can just see my husband telling our 3 kids, mommy is in jail for making a ducky cake!!! Wilton should not make the stinkin pans if you can not use them!!

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:30pm
post #22 of 34

I agree...too funny!!!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:31pm
post #23 of 34
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letmebeurdesignr

It's simple - they have 'For home use only' stamped into the metal of the pan near the Wilton name and pan ID number. Basically, if it's something from tv/movies/Disney etc, it'll be copyrighted. Hope that helps!

I don't know how accurate checking for the home use only thing is. I have several character pans from the 80's and a Pooh from the 70's and they don't have that stamp or anything else that indicates they can't be sold but I wouldn't be willing to risk it. I think if you have older pans it's just easier to make sure they aren't a known character.

I think we should agree to call all the others shaped pans so people don't jump all over before they read details. icon_lol.gif We see that alot with people asking about using a train or something and calling it a character pan and people saying it's copyright.

darrahmomof3 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 3:39pm
post #24 of 34

Shaped pans it is!!!!!!! I was thinking the same thing, maybe I misworded what I was trying to ask. icon_smile.gif Thanks everyone, even the ones who scared the poo out of me!!LOL

MikeRowesHunny Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 4:08pm
post #25 of 34

Yup - I think that was your mistake - you used the word 'character' instead of 'novelty' or 'shaped' (although imo ALL pans have a shape lol!). Some people need to read the original question before posting and going on the attack - goes on far too often around here for my liking! Anyhoo, now that I've got that off my chest, I'm off to eat more of my birthday cake - scratch carrot cake anyone icon_smile.gif?!

susies1955 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 5:05pm
post #26 of 34

birthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gif
Have a great birthday bonjovibabe. icon_smile.gif
There will be people who hate someone starting another subject in a thread too but too bad. LOL.
Enjoy,
Susie

Carolynlovescake Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 5:39pm
post #27 of 34

Darrah,

I hope I didn't come across as offensive. I was trying to just clarify a couple things for you.

Anything generic like the duck, train (non-Thomas), sports ball, purse etc. are perfectly acceptable to use for profit and are called "novelty" pans.

The reason why these copyright holders are so aggressive over their use... they have to be. If they don't do it with everyone they come across they loose the copyright to the image if they let just one person get away with using it. If you owned Pooh & Tigger's image you would want to get paid the royalty fee everytime someone used it right? I would, and so does Disney. I see why they have to do it, because I would too if that were "my" character.

And as for worrying... I did plenty of that too when I first started decorating 10 years ago. There is just so much and one thing leads to another and there's so much to learn and it is pretty overwhelming. Back then I didn't have my own business, now that I am running it all on my own I am back to my fair share of worrying too. You aren't alone in that department.

If I offended anyone here I apologize with all my heart. I was just trying to clarify the difference between the two types of Wilton pans and what could happen if we sell cakes of the ones we couldn't. It's good to know what you are up against when choosing to do pans like Disney, Nick Jr. & NASCAR for profit.

Susie,

I just am trying to share what I know on this and don't mean to be "intense". I post this out of concern. The last thing I hate to hear is "it happened, I'm being sued for use of a copyrighted image."

Education on this is important because if approached by say Disney or Nick Jr. with a cease and desist order or a lawsuit "I didn't know" won't get them out of it. They will pull a "now you do and you still owe us $_________." If it went to court guess who would win... not the cake decorator.

Hopefully by some of us being more "intense" on this and sharing what we know it will save an innocent decorator from loosing a lawsuit and loosing everything but the shirt on their back from someone aggressively going after the use of their image.(Which a certain company has been known to do with out remorse thumbs_up.gif )

I think we all agree that we'd rather have us intense and sharing what we know here in a post out of love for a fellow decorator than an intense lawyer show up at our door serving us papers saying "thanks for playing, you owe _________ $___,____ for use of their image.

And I wouldn't call it intense... I'd call it passionate. icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Carolynlovescake Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 5:44pm
post #28 of 34
Quote:

Yup - I think that was your mistake - you used the word 'character' instead of 'novelty' or 'shaped' (although imo ALL pans have a shape lol!). Some people need to read the original question before posting and going on the attack - goes on far too often around here for my liking! Anyhoo, now that I've got that off my chest, I'm off to eat more of my birthday cake - scratch carrot cake anyone icon_smile.gif?!

Hey I read it! icon_lol.gif

I didn't think I was attacking her either. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

That's why I gave the two links for her on what isn't ok and what is.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 5:57pm
post #29 of 34

I read on my County website (I think, I was researching DBA's and came across some copyrighting info) that as long as you do not EXACTLY duplicate a character, cartoon, logo etc. that it is ok? So If I do a spongebob, can I not leave off his belt and therefore not be copying him?

darrahmomof3 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:08pm
post #30 of 34

CarolynGwen------ I am not upset with you at all! Thanks for sharing your info.It just worried me when someone else said that those WERE copyright pans. Don't worry!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%