Store Bought Cookie Dough???

Baking By Pama2d Updated 21 Sep 2007 , 1:20pm by Pama2d

Pama2d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pama2d Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 2:21am
post #1 of 13

Does anyone use store bought cookie dough to make cookies on a stick?? If so, what brand works best? If not... can you recommend a good recipe for beginners that doesn't tend to break or crumble easily??

Thanks

12 replies
nikki1201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1201 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 2:39am
post #2 of 13

Never used store bought cookie dough, (except the s'mores ones, but that's not for cut-outs!). here's a great recipe though:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Thick-Cut-Outs/Detail.aspx

makes a big batch, and the cookies are really sturdy, hold up very well (i've shipped them across the country) and are easy to decorate!

Happy cookie-makin!
thumbs_up.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 13

I admit it icon_redface.gif ... I've used the pillsbury refridgerated sugar cookie dough several times. Tasted good, didn't spread and was plenty firm enough.

I prefer the NFSC on CC because it makes so much more for less $'s (and you can freeze what you don't use). But my fav sugar cookie dough is the white chocolate recipe from the following site:

http://www.karenscookies.net/shop/recipes/info_11.html

The recipe listed in the previous post looks quite good - think I'll try it.

JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 13

I haven't done so yet... still working through my list of "must try recipes" for sugar cookies but I know people here in CC use the Pillsbury sugar cookie ready made dough and add more flour to make it more "stable". I know out here on CC, there is a thread (or two or three) about it.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 13

i have used Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix a few times. Also taste good and works great. in the back of the package is the recipe you use for decorated cookies. HTH

Erlyns_Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erlyns_Treats Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 13
texastwinkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texastwinkie Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 13

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=448253&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0
I have used Pillsbury sugar cookie dough. I normally use NFSC which I really don't think is all that grand but it does hold up well. I keep Pillsbury dough in the freezer so when my grandkids visit I can let them play and cut out cookies. I recently made some cookies for a baby shower and ran out of dough, I needed to make just a few more cookies and decided to try the Pillsbury. I added 1/2 cup of flour to the dough and 1/2 tsp almond extract. Chilled it before rolling out just as you would with most any cut out recipe. They actually spread less than the NFSC and several people commented that they tasted better than NFSC. I have also added cocoa to the prepared dough and got a really nice tasting chocolate cookie. It wouldn't be cost effective to make large quantities using a purchased dough as you don't get many cookies from the batch. But if you're in a pinch, just want a make a few cookies or even just wanting to practice the Pillsbury dough is great! usaribbon.gif

Pama2d Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 7:18pm
post #8 of 13

snowshoe1... is the white chocolate sugar cookie a good dough to use for cookies on a stick??? That recipe sounds really good... I'd love to use it.. but I want to make sure it'll hold up on the sticks.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 7:23pm
post #9 of 13

NFSC all the way.

Pama2d Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 8:59pm
post #10 of 13

Indydebi...

The NFSC... I'm assuming that's the No Fail Sugar Cookies recipe? Still trying to catch on to all these abbreviations!! icon_smile.gif

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 9:05pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

NFSC all the way.

Here, here.

sugarinspired Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarinspired Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 5:40am
post #12 of 13

first time nfsc too. all the way better than store bought cookie dough and cheaper, plus it takes about 15 min to make

Pama2d Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:20pm
post #13 of 13

Thank you all... I will be attempting my first batch tonight!! Wish me luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%