Cupcake Liner Issues

Decorating By HIPrincess Updated 21 Sep 2007 , 2:34am by DelightsByE

HIPrincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HIPrincess Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 1:21am
post #1 of 14

It seems whenever I bake cup cakes by the time I put the batter in the liner it folds and doesn't hold it's shape. Any suggestions on how to get nice constant shaped cupcakes? I do use a cookie scoop so I have the same amount of batter in each but do end up having the liners lose their shape. icon_surprised.gif

13 replies
terabera69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terabera69 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 2:45am
post #2 of 14

Maybe try a thicker liner or double it. Foil lined ones are good. Try putting your batter in a Pyrex measuring cup or whatever has that pour spout. Fill it 1/2 to 2/3 full. Chocolate cake raises higher than white. I assume that you are using a cupcake pan, too. Silly question, but you shouldn't have trouble with cc's.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 3:28am
post #3 of 14

Are your pans big enough for the liners? Some pans are just a bit too small for most liners and will fold in a little on one side.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 3:37am
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Are your pans big enough for the liners? Some pans are just a bit too small for most liners and will fold in a little on one side.

I second that! and I find it really hard to put batter into the liners...sometimes right as I put the batter in it, it makes bad folds in the liner. icon_sad.gif But, yes...your cupcake pan may be too small! Isn't that weird!? icon_lol.gif

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 3:38am
post #5 of 14

I put my cake batter in a gallon sized zip-lok bag and treat it like a pastry bag. When I have the cupcake liners in the pan, I snip off the corner of the zip-lok bag and fill the liners with the bag of batter. Recently did a huge cupcake wedding (29 dozen) and used this method over and over!

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 3:50am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPrincess

I do use a cookie scoop so I have the same amount of batter in each but do end up having the liners lose their shape. icon_surprised.gif

I'm with you - a disher is the way to go when portioning cupcakes. thumbs_up.gif

I also second the opinion that your cupcake pans might be a smidge too small. icon_confused.gif

Other than suggesting you purchase professional-grade pans, the only other suggestion I'd make is to use slightly thicker-paper cupcake liners. In my experience, I always have trouble with the ones I get at the grocery store, but the ones made by Wilton are a tiny bit thicker. It makes a difference, trust me. The ones I use I get from Sysco. But I'll never use Reynolds or Deco again...the paper is just too flimsy.

HIPrincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HIPrincess Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:12pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks for all your ideas. I will give them a try and let you know!

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 14

I'm glad I'm not the only one with issues! I use the Wilton jumbo cupcake pan with the Wilton jumbo cupcake liners - why aren't they the same size icon_confused.gif ! It makes me crazy!!! icon_mad.gif

sweetness11379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness11379 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoov

I put my cake batter in a gallon sized zip-lok bag and treat it like a pastry bag. When I have the cupcake liners in the pan, I snip off the corner of the zip-lok bag and fill the liners with the bag of batter. Recently did a huge cupcake wedding (29 dozen) and used this method over and over!

AMAZING IDEA!!!!!!!!

JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:27pm
post #10 of 14

I just had the same problem about a month ago when I did some cupcakes for my aunt's 70th birthday party. It drove me crazy and I had wilton liners and a wilton pan. I will try doubling up the liners next time or just use the foil ones.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:46pm
post #11 of 14

I found that doubling the Wilton liners doesn't work! They end up separating after you bake them...I don't know why this is but, you might have to take the second one off after the baking process.

MimiFord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFord Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:49pm
post #12 of 14

I use the sturdier grade paper liners that are a nice shade of brown - also like the look, rather than the foil for some events.

I use a number of places, depending on the price, but I get a lot of stuff from:

www.fantes.com

www.chefshop.com

HTH

JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 3:03pm
post #13 of 14

OOO! That would be even better! Neutral look for everything.

Thanks MimiFord! icon_biggrin.gif

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:34am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by marccrand

I'm glad I'm not the only one with issues! I use the Wilton jumbo cupcake pan with the Wilton jumbo cupcake liners - why aren't they the same size icon_confused.gif ! It makes me crazy!!! icon_mad.gif

I wonder if you contacted Wilton and asked them this very question....wonder what they'd say??? icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%