A Little Down.....business Is So Slow..is It Just Me?

Business By countrycakes Updated 21 Sep 2007 , 8:57pm by countrycakes

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 12:03am
post #1 of 13

icon_sad.gif I am wondering if it's just me. I have had a total of about 5 cakes since the middle of August......it's so depressing! icon_cry.gifthumbsdown.gif I am advertising in a local paper, the deal was too good to pass up for 13 weeks, $130.00. That's for a good sized ad, and I am happy with it.
I have gotten my new business cards, and they are being passed out. I have done the website, and it's getting some hits....also have done so many 'sample platters/trays' it's pathetic.

What am I doing wrong? I have gotten 2 weddings booked for next year, and I am thankful...but I just hoped it could be more business. Do I need to meet with some caterers, florists? What can I do? I took all the classes, and what I did not learn in a class, I am learning here, or practicing by myself. icon_smile.gif
I don't claim to be a total professional, but I can do good work. I have not done but so many cakes, but most of what I have done, I get repeats from those customers.....

Just whining, I guess...sorry.... icon_cry.gificon_sad.giftapedshut.gif

12 replies
Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 12:52am
post #2 of 13

Dont feel bad
its not you.
Its the market overall in all industries.
My job is in an industry totally opposite baking but its just as bad.
The economy just blows right now and everyone is scared to spend money on anything but essentials.

Im a semi-pro photographer on the side - thats my passion- and I was going to do several art shows this fall season, like I usually do, I cancelled them all cause its not worth my time- noone is buying anything.

So don't feel bad, its not you.
Keep hitting the pavement and things will turn up

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 12:53am
post #3 of 13

Have you looked into Bridal shows? I know out here, Jan is HUGE for bridal shows. I would check local florists or even your local school. Talk to the PTA. Our school out here does cake walks for carnivals and my name gets passed around as advertisement.

countrycakes Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 1:02am
post #4 of 13

icon_cry.gif I just found out this afternoon that one local bridal show in the next town over is in October...and they are full for this year. I am going to attend as a onlooker, to see what I need to get ready for next year. I do think that there will be one in my town in Feb. 2008...will find out tommorrow, and get registered for that one.

I am also going to donate several cakes for the cake walk and a gift certificate for the silent auction at the elementary school that my dks attended....it can not hurt right? icon_smile.gif
I just wish that phone would ring.... icon_confused.gif
I am going tomorrow morning and hit some of the local florists, and a caterer that I know...maybe it's a starting point.
In this little town, we do have 2 bakeries, both are closed on Monday and Tuesday, one is downtown and the other is at the other end of town. Other than that, it's WM and grocery store bakeries, 3 to be exact. I have tried to be under their prices...and I charge a fair amount. Just pondering.........

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 1:28am
post #5 of 13

It's also seasonal. August is my big month for weddings. Sept is when I get to take a deep breath and relax a little. October is good for weddings for me. November is almost a full vacation.

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 1:46am
post #6 of 13

I don't know about your area but maybe go see some local florists? I actually did a couple weddings for friends and the florists asked who was doing the cake because no one in the area makes cakes Alot of people end up going to a local Tops Market or the local Walmart. Also maybe local banquet halls or restaurants?? Good luck hope something comes up. I have one more wedding and I think I will be slowing down - then I will go through cake withdrawal!!! icon_biggrin.gif

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 1:57am
post #7 of 13

Have you tried giving your business cards and some samples to wedding planners, wedding rental places (linens china etc), some of the major wedding venues (golf courses, major hotels) in your area. Anyone that does anything to do with weddings. (you may have already done this)

Also I'm not sure how big your Craigs List is... but I get at least 2 weddings per month from Craigs list in my town.

Hope that gives you a couple more idea.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 3:48am
post #8 of 13

This would be a great time to work on some display dummies! You can build up the photos in your portfolio, get in some good practice, and prepare for the bridal expos all in one shot with the dummies. icon_wink.gif All of which will lead to attracting more business!

Definitely make some appts with florists in town. Take them some cake samples, brochures & business cards that they can hand out to brides. DON'T try to see them within 2 days of your local high school homecoming dance. DON'T show up to see them w/out an appointment if you want more than 2 minutes of their time (and you do!) and don't forget to bring along a small brag book with pictures of cakes you've done.

Good Luck! You'll be drumming up some extra business in no time. icon_smile.gif

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 12:02pm
post #9 of 13

Hair salons are another place to find a lot of brides as well...I have my cards in a few of them around town.

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 2:41pm
post #10 of 13

I agree that it is a slow time. I network with a local florist and banquet facility and usually have a steady flow of business. But I haven't had any new orders for the past three weeks. I have a wedding on October 6, but nothing in the works after that. It's easy to question yourself during the slow times, but it will pick up. I agree this is a great time to market your business and create new cakes for your portfolio. Take advantage of the down time and also treat yourself to some R&R. You'll be thankful you did once the work (and stress) starts to pick up again. Good Luck!

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 8:40pm
post #11 of 13

I've been taking lots of orders for AFTER Feb. 2008. I think in total I only have 4 Weddings scheduled, deposit paid for Oct/Nov and nothing for Dec/Jan/Feb.
I have a show coming up next weekend. We will see...
Another spot to check out is the Bridal Salons. Many Brides go there first (lots of fun trying on dresses) before they have other things booked. Our local salon is letting me come next month with a display cake and samples in their lobby. She was also nice enough to let me leave my cards there too. ~Don't know if this is common or not...the owner may just be very sweet. But, it's worth a try!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 8:46pm
post #12 of 13

The first 3 things a bride will book first is their church, their reception site and their photographer. If you can get your cards into some of these places, you've got a jump start on things.

I think it may have been mentioned, but is there a "wedding vendors assoc" in your area? If not, start one.

I was part of one (it disbanded) but it was a group of photographers, caterers, jewelry makers, videographers, a wedding chapel owner, etc. We met once a month just to get togehter, share war stories and once in awhile had a speaker come in. We referred clients back and forth to each other. I got a lot of business from this group and even tho' we don't officially meet anymore, we still refer business back and forth between us.

countrycakes Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 8:57pm
post #13 of 13

I have spoken to several florists, and will be meeting with a local caterer on Monday.....let me tell you what has happened in the past 24 hours~

1. Got a call Wednesday about meeting with a client who orders from me all the time...she is hosting the Harvest Party at the local County Club...met with her this morning, she has ordered cupcakes and a cake to the tune of $125! thumbs_up.gif She also placed a holding order of mini muffins for her youngest ds's Preschool Thanksgiving meal......also will be doing the Christmas party at the Country Club.

2. Yesterday afternoon, got call from bride( one who wants the writing on the bottom cake!), she is coming Sunday afternoon at 2:30 pm for a tasting...wedding is October 20. I think I may be the one she will go with...she has seen pics, not tasted, and is impressed with what she has seen! thumbs_up.gif

3. Customer called on Wednesday afternoon as well....ordered a Pumpkin Cheesecake, will be here at 6 pm to get that.

4. Best friend is giving out cards like crazy..she is a florist/gift shop owner......and is also ordering a HUGE platter of Christmas goodies when they do their Open House! icon_smile.gif

5. Finally got my website finished.....will post the address, I like it...I am by no means a computer expert, but it is suiting my needs. icon_smile.gif I have had it up for a few weeks, forgot to make a post about it! icon_smile.gif

I am beside myself.......whine paid off! icon_lol.gificon_confused.gif Thanks for all the support.......Cake Central is the BEST!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%