Fondant Border Balls

Decorating By Heather1128 Updated 18 Nov 2006 , 11:04pm by beachcakes

Heather1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather1128 Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 4

Ok, I have made a few cakes with those large fondant balls around the bottom, but I never get them looking uniform. I have tried using a cookie cutter, but no luck. I saw a bead making tool for fondant balls but it only went up to 13mm. Does anyone else have a trick for making them fast and uniform? Thanks.

3 replies
lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 4

the only way that i knwo is kinda like how you mentioned.....I roll out my fondant flat and even then i use a circle fondant cutter(same as cookie cutter but for smaller shapes wilton i think....I got them at micheals) and then just make them into balls with my hands......sorry if im not much help

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 4

I used the 0 from the Wilton cutter set, the girl and the boy. Then I make a big batch of MMF, I either use my pasta make for consistency or pieces of wood that are even, then roll out the MMF, a little thicker (the wood), for bigger balls!! Hopefully you understand what I mean.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 4

the key is making sure your fondant is rolled to the same thickness. I always have a problem with this. I think wilton sells a small fondant roller w/ bands that go on it so you get uniform height. Or if you have something you could lay beside the fondant on each side as a guide - like thin dowlels or something, that would work. I made a ball border once, but I wanted the sizes to vary, so I just eyeballed it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%