Wilton Color Mist - Taste And Results?

Decorating By allie73 Updated 18 Sep 2007 , 11:02pm by aliciababcock

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 11

For anyone that's used this, how did it go? I need to do a large piece red this weekend and I'm wondering if the color mist tastes as horrible as the red-red tint that Wilton makes. Also, how were your results? Did the final piece look decent, or were there issues?

Finally, is there a better-tasting true-red dye in case this whole Color Mist thing goes pear-shaped?

10 replies
eieio1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eieio1234 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 11

I only used it 1x and the results were so so.... it was the pink one and did not come out like the cap color. It was much much more flourescent which I didn't like. It was easy to adjust the shade by moving it in closer or farther away, but the color itself I didn't like. I would try it before hand with a similar piece so you can see if you will get the coverage you want. thumbs_up.gif

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 11

I used the black mist on my Batman cake (in my pics) because I didn't want to use black icing . . . . ewwww! It turned out more gray/brownish . . . which was OK for the cake I was doing. But not problem w/ the taste.

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 11

It's kind of like spray paint, best done in light even coats! There isn't a huge selection of colors (icon_cool.gif so it's a little limited, but if you go lightly and do it a couple of times, it comes out pretty good. It's no substitute for an airbrush, but it's an alternative. I didn't notice that it had any taste on the cake, but it seemed like the aerosol did have a minty smell. Also, it does seem to go quite a ways. HTH -Lori

KathleenR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenR Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 11

I tried with the black and the orange, and it just wasn't dark enough for what I wanted even with coat after coat. There wasn't any taste that I can remember.

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks all! I'm in sort of a pinch. Last-minute order so there's no time to order the AmeriColor red. And the Wilton red-red tastes so awful I just can't put that all over a cake. If the color mist doesn't work out, I'll have to go with the blue/gold/black color scheme instead and everyone will live. Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 11

I've used the black too and it wasn't nearly dark enough. It also beaded up. I'd never recommend it.

moodswinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moodswinger Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 10:56pm
post #8 of 11

you can use the wilton no taste red, and put cinnamon in it! I have had clients rave about the taste! It totally covers up the metal taste! I did not like the color mist at all!!! It flavored everything mint! Yucko! HTH!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 10:57pm
post #9 of 11

Here is a wonderful decorator that really knows her way around the mists!!! Check out her gallery icon_biggrin.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1033213

bake-A-cake00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bake-A-cake00 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 10:59pm
post #10 of 11

If your worried about the taste of Wiltons red-red, why dont you try Wiltons no- taste red?

aliciababcock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciababcock Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 11:02pm
post #11 of 11

I used the color mist on my red birthday cake in my gallery. I dyed the icing a pinkish red with the no taste wilton and then did a couple light coats of the mist. It smelled minty at first, but didn't alter the taste and everybody loved it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%