Thabksgiving Cake Balls

Decorating By rflores Updated 19 Nov 2006 , 12:17am by icingpraises

rflores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rflores Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 5

I want to make cake balls for some of my co-workers for Thanksgiving and I've seen the recipes but I still have questions. I was thinking of doing a spice cake and my cream cheese icing, could I throw those in the mixer together? Can I add walnuts? I really like pumpkin bread can I use that with cream cheese? Please help!!!!

4 replies
JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 5

I think those sound wonderful. When I made mine I didn't even put them in the mixer. I just put the cake, icing and nuts in a bowl and used my hands to mush them up then dipped them in melted chocolate. Everyone loved them.

I don't see why you couldn't use the bread but I think it may tend to be a bit more dry then the cake.

icingpraises Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingpraises Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 5

Hi rflores! The spice cake and cream cheese combo sounds great! I don't do mine in a mixer but by hand, so I don't really know what that will do to the texture. I like to be able to "feel" the mixture so I can judge moisture and correct balling texture. Would you then dip or roll these? I think they'd be great either dipped in white chocolate or rolled in a cinnamon sugar. And on the pumpkin ones- don't know why you couldn't just make some pumpkin bread and crumble it up when cool, add your binder (though I don't think you'll need very much at all here as pumpkin bread is already quite moist and dense) and perhaps roll in flavored sugar. I think the addition of walnuts to either recipe would be great too. I just made a batch of cherry-coconut and added walnuts--wow! yum! If you like the taste of cranberry stuff- I also made some cranberry-orange dipped in white chocolate--just might be my personal fav so far! HTH icon_smile.gif

Robin

rflores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rflores Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you both. I wasn't sure if I should dip them in anything but the cinnamon sugar is a great idea. Or maybe I could coat them with a little bit more cream cheese and then roll them in chopped nuts icon_lol.gif oh man I'm getting hungry. After you get a good texture and then roll them what do you do?

icingpraises Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingpraises Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 12:17am
post #5 of 5

That depends on whether you are going to serve them right away or keep them awhile. You can just refrigerate those you will be serving or giving right away, particularly those with perishable ingreds. like cream cheese, if nothing to spoil then can just leave them out at room temp. If you have willing folks then they probably won't last long anyway! Otherwise just freeze them for a later time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%