Peruvian Wedding Cake

Decorating By cmcgarr Updated 18 Nov 2006 , 8:16pm by cmcgarr

cmcgarr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmcgarr Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 10

Help! Help! I need some ideas for a Peruvian wedding cake!! The couple is from Peru, and want to reflect their heritage in their decor. They're thinking about bright primary colours, bright flowers. They want a fun and whimsical cake that encorporates elements from folk art.

I've been searching the internet for some ideas, and they're aren't many out there! Does anyone know of any Peruvian artists I could use for inspiration? or any traditions used in Peruvian wedding cakes? Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!! icon_lol.gif

Crystal

9 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 10

Crystal I am going to pm you.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 10

OMg, there is the prettiest (well, it was Mexican) south american looking cake in the Sept/Oct BRIDES magazine that I have.

It is squares that are each a different color and piped to look very sort of aztec in geometric prints...sort of like an aztec temple. Very Fiesta-like.

I can get a copy if you want.

lasidus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasidus1 Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 10

i'm peruvian! you are right, bright colors are very popular, so is gold. it really all depends where in peru they are from. my family is from the coast, which is very very different from the mountains.

mexican art is quite different from peruvian, just so you know. it's just too hard to say what you should do without knowing where they are from...

Chef_Stef Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 10

I'm sure lasidus1 is right...

I'd also sit down with them and get them to show you some pictures or art for inspiration, even if it's just a print of a piece of art they like, a book with a folk tale and some pictures. The more variety of artwork they can show you, the better, but try to get definite specifics from them. I'd love to do something like that; it sounds fun!

edit: What about the pattern from a pretty woven blanket or tapestry from peru?

ShirleyW Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 10

Crystal,
Here are some images of Peruvian pottery, their colors and designs are amazing and would look stunning on a cake.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=Peruvian+Pottery&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

And some Peruvian art work of fabric.
http://www.frsd.k12.nj.us/rfmsarts/1999%20Peruvian%20Girl.JPG

Chef_Stef Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 10

Ok, I couldn't resist; I had to post this pic...

If it's not peruvian, you can at least see where you could go with the multicolored geometric look...I WISH SOMEONE would order this from me! I'd love to do it...*sigh*!
LL

ShirleyW Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 7:04pm
post #8 of 10

That is just a gorgeous creation. Beautiful work! Who did this, or what site is it from? We need to credit the designer.

Chef_Stef Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 7:15pm
post #9 of 10

That pic is from Bride's magazine...let me look it up....

........................................................................................................

The wedding was in Guatemala......

Only credit for pic says "Cake, Scandies, Guatemala City, Guatemala"

oh, and in the shopping guide, there was a link to scandies.net

That's all I see, but WOW would I love to do a cake like that...

Hope it's ok to post it...

cmcgarr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmcgarr Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 8:16pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you all so very much for your input and pics! They've given me a great start for ideas about this cake!

They did say to use any influences from pottery, jewellery and textiles. Basically, they want something that will be an "amazing centrepiece" because their reception is going to be at an art gallery.

Hopefully within the next week, I'll come up with a sketch and I'd LOVE your input!

Thanks again!
Crystal icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%