Cupcake Charges

Decorating By Briarview Updated 1 week ago by amandalee4

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 9:46am
post #1 of 12

I know this probably has been posted before so I did a search but got to page three and decided it was going to take a long time to sift through all the posts. Time is something I don't have much of at the moment. I have begun to start getting requests for cupcake wedding cakes as well as the mini round and square cakes. I was wondering if someone could direct me to some previous posts on the charges of cupcakes and mini cakes. Or perhaps some member can quote what they would charge to give me an idea. Do you charge on the amount of mixture you use. Tonight I made a 6" mudcake recipe and I made 20 Darolie cakes (a little bigger than the 2"x2"x2" square pans) from this quantity. Usually I charge $NZ90 for a 6" cake covered but as the bride wants 150 that adds up to about 7 6" cakes so that would be so expensive. If someone could advise in US dollars and I can convert it I would appreciate that. Thanks.

11 replies
tygre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tygre Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 12:36pm
post #2 of 12

I charge US$1.50 for cupcakes and US$1.75 per serving of cake to start, then add on the extras, fondant, flowers, etc. Most of my cakes end up in the US$2.00 - $3.50 per serving. I find cupcakes easier than full out wedding cakes, because it's just a big swirl of icing from a bag and some little flower or something on top

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 12:38pm
post #3 of 12

I charge US$2.50 per wedding cupcake. They are filed , with a swirl of icing and a fondant decoration on top. I think they take much longer to do than a regular wedding cake.

My wedding cakes start at US$2.60 for all buttercream, but most of my cakes are bc with fondant embellishments which are US$2.75 per serving.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 12

Here's my speech on mini cakes and centerpiece cakes (like an 8" cake on each table).

I charge the same rate ($3.00/serving). The reason it "seems" so expensive is because the bride always ends up ordering more cake than she needs.

An 8" round cake (2 layer) serves 24. One cake per table. There is no way you are getting 24 people at one table. Most round tables will seat 8. So the bride bought a cake for 24 to feed 8. She bought 3 times as much cake as she needs.

Let's say she has 120 guests (8 per table = 15 tables).
She needs 15 of the 8" cakes.
15 cakes x 24 servings = 360 servings x $3/serving = $1080.

If she just ordered a regular 3 tier cake to serve 120, it would have only cost her $360.

I dont' care how expensive it sounds ..... if she wants a bunch of little cakes, she's going to pay for it. If her order comes out to seven of the 6" cakes, then it's seven times your price. Period.

I would also add a PITA charge for icing and decorating 2x2x2" cakes! (assuming you could even convince me to do them!)

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 12

I charge MORE for mini cakes for the simple fact that they are a PAIN IN THE BUTT!!!! Frosting a mini cake (and getting it to look like a cake) is not easy. My wedding cupcakes start at $2.50 each. They come filled and frosted with buttercream and have a simple decoration.. they go up from there depending on what you want. If I was to do mini cakes I'd charge no less than 5$ each for 2" cakes filled and frosted in buttercream with simple decoration. They are SUCH a pain.. did I mention they are a PAIN???? icon_wink.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 12

For centerpiece cakes I do a 6" round. Round only as they're faster for me. A 6" cake is plenty for the 8-10 people at the table. My charge is anywhere from $34-$45 per cake, depending on the decoration Frankly I love doing the centerpiece cakes and often suggest them.

Individual mini cakes are another story. I require them to be fondant so I can do them ahead, and start at $9 for a two tier, $12 for a three tier and all decoration is extra. Even a "one tier " basically upside down cupcake with a skirt of fondant if $4.50.

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 9:10pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you Tygre,Leahs,Indydebi,jkalman for your replies. Indydebi I know what you have said in the past about "I come from a small town and don't feel I can charge the big city prices" so I know I will have to bite the bullet and charge my normal price. The normal cake you quoted $US360 is equalivent to $NZ495 and the sizes I would make would be 14"10"6" = 128 servings. My charges would work out at $NZ450 covered in fondant for round cakes but I could qualify to add another $NZ45 seeing as they are mini cakes 2"x2"x2". Does this sound right?

amandalee4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandalee4 Posted 11 Jan 2019 , 3:10am
post #8 of 12

hi. i honestly have a genuine question, but FIRST!... its hard to "hear" ones tone in a message because its being read by another person and other people can interpret things differently than the original person intended, with that being said, im honestly asking for advice and am being sincere...

ok so, i had such a hard time, as we all have, with pricing. for years i just loss and loss money :(. then i stopped doing cakes for a little while and researched my BUTT off trying to figure out how to charge so i can be successful and not LOSE money...(like, negative dollars than when i started).

so i researched and finally felt extremely empowered and had a revelation. i decided i HAD to charge at MINIMUM of $6/serving to even make money and be any kind of successful. now since this revolution i still havnt started my cake business back up because of certain circumstances. but i was looking up something about cupcake pans and found this thread. reading all the prices that you all have said, now im starting to get a little confused again :'0   :'(.

are you guys really making money with these prices??  i really need help again now. would i be charging too much now for $6 a serving??? i use to charge i guess about maybe $1.50 to $2.00 a serving and i ALWAYS had so spend alllll that money on that cake i was getting paid for to do PLUS i would end up spending out of pocket for those emergency trips to the store (like for paper towels, or Ribbon). please give me some suggestions PLEASE

Thank you for anyone who responds

amandalee4 Posted 11 Jan 2019 , 3:10am
post #9 of 12

hi. i honestly have a genuine question, but FIRST!... its hard to "hear" ones tone in a message because its being read by another person and other people can interpret things differently than the original person intended, with that being said, im honestly asking for advice and am being sincere...

ok so, i had such a hard time, as we all have, with pricing. for years i just loss and loss money :(. then i stopped doing cakes for a little while and researched my BUTT off trying to figure out how to charge so i can be successful and not LOSE money...(like, negative dollars than when i started).

so i researched and finally felt extremely empowered and had a revelation. i decided i HAD to charge at MINIMUM of $6/serving to even make money and be any kind of successful. now since this revolution i still havnt started my cake business back up because of certain circumstances. but i was looking up something about cupcake pans and found this thread. reading all the prices that you all have said, now im starting to get a little confused again :'0   :'(.

are you guys really making money with these prices??  i really need help again now. would i be charging too much now for $6 a serving??? i use to charge i guess about maybe $1.50 to $2.00 a serving and i ALWAYS had so spend alllll that money on that cake i was getting paid for to do PLUS i would end up spending out of pocket for those emergency trips to the store (like for paper towels, or Ribbon). please give me some suggestions PLEASE

Thank you for anyone who responds

amandalee4 Posted 11 Jan 2019 , 3:13am
post #10 of 12

oh and i charge $3 a cupcake too. 

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 11 Jan 2019 , 2:44pm
post #11 of 12

Amanda, you do realize that this thread is almost 12 years old. Of course prices have gone up since then and I think you'll find that these folks have raised their prices accordingly. 

How much would you pay for a serving of cake in a restaurant? If you have done the work and the research and come up with your price, then set it in stone and move on.

amandalee4 Posted 1 week ago
post #12 of 12

ok..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%