Thoughts Needed For Critically Injured 17 Year Old

Lounge By sweetflowers Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 1:53pm by itsmylife

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 60

I'm not sure what I can ask for on this board. But my son's friend since he was 8 was critically injured in the football game Friday night and is near death.

Please if any one can send good thoughts (prayers) to him (Scott) and his family, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

59 replies
gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 60

That is soooo sad! I'm saying prayers and sending good thoughts for you and his family!

<<<HUGS>>>

Gail

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 60

He is in my prayers! His family as well, this is so heartbreaking just to hear about. I can't imagine what his family and friends are going through! It's so scary to hear about things like this. You just never know when someone will take a hit or get tackled just the wrong way, and it happens so fast. Please keep us updated.

texastwinkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texastwinkie Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 60

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'll keep in him and his family in my prayers. Please keep us posted on his condition.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 60

I am so sorry to hear that............ how scary.......

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 8:28pm
post #6 of 60

I'll pray for him plus his family and friends.

sweetflowers Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 60

Update:

He's been on life support and in a drug induced coma since brain surgery Friday night. They are going to take him out of the coma today, keep praying or sending good thoughts.

patriciaab668 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patriciaab668 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 12:54am
post #8 of 60

lots of hugs and prayers to him and his family.

sweetflowers Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 5:28pm
post #9 of 60

Update:

Still critical and still in a coma. But he did make it through the night, since that was day 3 they were really worried about too much swelling.

We had a prayer vigil last night. Thanks to everyone who has added their prayers to ours. Our community it pretty devastated and counselors were at the school yesterday preparing everyone for whatever might happen.

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 6:48pm
post #10 of 60

Praying for a COMPLETE recovery for Scott. Also praying for his family.

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 2:25am
post #11 of 60

Sending positive thoughts and prayers for Scott.

Elle

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 8:48am
post #12 of 60

Count our prayers in! We read about this young man in the local paper. Very sad. I cannot imagine what his family is going through right now.

sweetflowers Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 3:31pm
post #13 of 60

There has been so much coverage on this. And the family is just devastated along with the community. My husband is close friends with the stepfather (they used to be our neighbors and my sons grew up with Scott). And saw them at the hospital yesterday. The parents and family need all the support they can get.

The latest: he only has a 5% chance to live. One doctor recommended pulling the life support, but another said he still has a slight chance to come out of the coma. So they will wait a little longer.

mkerton Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 3:41pm
post #14 of 60

oh how horrible............ what happened actually happened just a bad hit?

edited to say I just read some of the coverage, how scary......I was thinking it was one bad hit but they said he stumbled off the field in a fog and was attended to by paramedics.......for it then to get so serious so fast.........

I will keep praying.........

mxdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxdiva Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 11:28pm
post #15 of 60

my toughts are with scott and his family I know what they're going trough

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:18am
post #16 of 60

If you have time sweetflowers - please see if a Church in your community makes prayers shawls and ask for one to be given to the family. My Church has a prayer shawl ministry and the shawls definitely bring healing and peace to its recipients. If you can't find one - let me know and I will ship one to you.

My prayers will be with Scotty and his family and friends.

I have experienced a football injury with my son too - so I know the fear, the hope and unknown that his family is facing.

God's blessings to you for sharing his story with us.

sweetflowers Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 4:10pm
post #17 of 60

I'm so sorry, I don't know what a prayer shawl is. We do have several churches of almost every demonination around us. If you let me know which church it would be I'll check for one. The community has been very supportive. But the football community even more so. Even rival schools have sent posters to the hospital.

I'm so sorry to hear suzycakes and mxdiva that you have been through this. I can't imagine the strengh you must have to cope. I find the thoughts of Scott and his family consume me. Thank you everyone for your words and prayers.

Suzycakes Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 4:31pm
post #18 of 60

A prayer shawl is either crocheted or knitted. It is based on the trinity - the father, the son and the holy spirit -- all denominations will sponsor these groups - but my Church is a United Methodist Church. But while a volunteer is making these shawls she/he is praying and meditating to/with God for healing, strength, peace, blessings, love, guidance, etc for the recipient of the shawl. It can be a powerful gift for the recipient and their family. I have spoke with several recipients of our shawls and they felt truly blessed and felt Gods love enfold them when they wrapped the shawl around them.

I will try to research and see if I can find a prayer shawl group in your area to help you. But like I said, I will be glad to ship one to you to give to Scott.

In Gods love,
Suze

sweetflowers Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 5:17pm
post #19 of 60

I can crochet!! Even though I'm Catholic could I make one? Is there a special pattern?

I'm taking a guess that this is not specific to any religion, but any church could do this? If so, I'll check the church at the corner, they have already had a prayer vigil for Scott and family. If not, I may need help to track one down, thank you so much suzycakes.

Personally, I never stop praying for a miracle. Thank you all.

Suzycakes Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:11pm
post #20 of 60

Yes you can do this - or any one can do this! Trust me - if I can learn to crochet in 15 minutes anybody can!!

Go to www.shawlministry.com -- all of the information you need to know is there. There are some specific instructions, prayers and patterns - but the intepretation we have adopted is a pattern of 3 (for the trinity) - so plan on either 3 stitches with one color; or 3 colors and 1 stitch; all stitches should be divisable by 3 such as start with 60 stitches for the first (60 divided by 3 equals 20), then make sure you crochet a total number of rows that can be divided by 3, etc. Also, on the Shawl ministry website there is a chart that shows the meaning of each color - I believe it is the 'Symbolism' button - so that you can make a shawl expressly for certain occasions (for this situation with Scott I would recommend green or blue - or you can get the variegated threads that mingle those 2 colors).

I have received a short reply back from a Shawl Ministry group in Bakersfield - my message has been passed on to the head of the shawl ministry -- so maybe someone there will be able to get a shawl to you if you still need one.

Any faith or group can do a shawl ministry. I know for certain that some senior citizen groups and youth groups do them also. I have tried to crochet several times in my life, but until I sat down in the Shawl Ministry Group and asked God to help me learn to do this to help others in need I couldn't do it. My stitches aren't perfect, my rows aren't even, but my prayers are sincere and my love is pure for the recipient of each shawl I make.

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:08pm
post #21 of 60

Praying also.....

I have another source of info for Prayer Shawl Ministry. The Lion Brand Yarn company has a book dedicated to this ministry. It is titled, "The Prayer Shawl Ministry (Reaching those in Need)" I have a copy and have been very inspired by it. Here is an exerpt from the book:

"Over the centuries, shawls have come to symbolize shelter, peace, and spiritual sustenance. Since the inception of the prayer shawl ministry in 1998, the members of this ecumenical ( non-denominational) organization have lovingly donated their time and talents by creating hand knitted and croched shawls for those in need. What started as a grass-roots movement has quickly grown to become an international cause, with countless numbers of shawls being give to recipients around the globe. Lion Bran Yarn Company is honored to participate in this noble endeavor."

To the CC-er asking "Can a Catholic do this"... LOLOL SURE!!!! All that is required is a love and compassion for someone who is in need of your love and prayer. It can be an ill person, a graduate, a newlywed couple, and elderly person in a resthome or homebound. There are no limits. It's sharing the love of Jesus in a very tangilble and prayerful way. I'm hugely impressed with the whole concept.

Best to you~

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:20pm
post #22 of 60

wow, I'm sorry about your son's friend icon_sad.gif

Thoughts, prayers and good vibes going his way.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 5:09pm
post #23 of 60

There are three types of effort: easy, difficult, and impossible.

The easy ones teach us appreciation and laughter.

The difficult ones teach us patience and perserverance.

The impossible ones teach us humility, surrender, and spirituality.

(from jamesricklet.com/PW-Quotes.html)

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 11:56pm
post #24 of 60

My prayers are going out to all. How is he doing?

mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 6:06am
post #25 of 60

How awful, my prayers are with him and his family.

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 12:54pm
post #26 of 60

Sweetflowers I am so sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are with Scott and his family. Miracles happen every day!
Where do you live? I wish there were more that I could do for the family but the power of prayer is amazing and I will continue to pray.
Faye

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 2:09pm
post #27 of 60

i have never heard of the prayer shawls, but i have been raised with "prayer cloths", which is where the pastor takes a small strip of cloth, anoints it with oil and the whole church prays over it, then it is given to the recipient...maybe that 's something that can be done also. there's no such thing as too much prayer! speaking of that, my prayers are with you.

mustang1964 Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 11:22pm
post #28 of 60

Don't mean to be nosy but can I ask how this happened? My son also plays football and I pray every time he goes out there. I will continue to pray for Scott please keep us posted on his progress.

mkerton Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 4:16am
post #29 of 60

mustang1964... I googled high school student critical and came up with Scott Eveland (I think this is who the original poster is referring to)....at any rate if they are one in the same he came off the field dazed, coaches told him to lay down and got medical staff....pulse was irratic, called paramedics and by the time he made it to the hospital he was unconsious.. (sp) and had to have emergency brain surgery. Thats all I could find out from the news story... I guess the coaches reviewed all game tape and couldnt see where anything looked like a harder than normal hit or anything..

scary stuff

mustang1964 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 5:44am
post #30 of 60

Thanks mkerton, I guess you never know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%