Hogwart's Castle

Decorating By dogwood Updated 20 Sep 2007 , 3:15pm by JILBRY

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 15

Here are pictures of the Hogwart's Castle I did for my grandson. My first castle cake and I know there's lots of room for improvement icon_redface.gif but I decided to go ahead and show you the pictures anyway. Hopefully the princess cake that I have to make in a couple of weeks for a paying customer will look a lot better.

14 replies
lpino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lpino Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 15

Soooo? where is it????? icon_confused.gif

dogwood Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 15

Sorry. Here are the pictures. I put them on the wrong post the first time.
LL
LL
LL

Cupcake_Kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcake_Kisses Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 15

WOW that looks AMAZING! Great job! icon_biggrin.gif
did you use a castle kit? or was it all free hand?

dogwood Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 15

I did this one all free hand but I think on my next one I will use the kit. I had a hard time keeping the towers from falling over.

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 15

I think it looks amazing! My son just asked if I could make that...ummm, NO!!

lpino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lpino Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 12:01am
post #7 of 15

I agree!
Great job!!!!!! I'm sure your grandson was thrilled!!! thumbs_up.gif

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 2:41am
post #8 of 15

I love that you even added Harry pushing his cart with his trunk and hedwig in her cage! Awesome job! thumbs_up.gif

BakingWithAloha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingWithAloha Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 3:22am
post #9 of 15

Awesome! I can see why it would be difficult or impossible to keep the towers standing perfectly straight - they're so tall. I never could do that

How did you make the towers? Did you sculpt them with cake?

I read somewhere something about using shiskabob sticks or dowels and then if I remember this right, stacking small circular pieces of cake onto each stick, but I don't remember how you get the sticks to stand up though - minor detail
icon_redface.gif

dogwood Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 1:25pm
post #10 of 15

Actually, the towers were hollow. I used the tubes from paper towel rolls. I covered them with parchment paper then I covered with fondant and once the fondant got dry enough I pulled the paper towel tubes out, let them dry some more and then spray painted with Black Americolor Gel mixed w/Vodka. Then let dry again. I used royal frosting to try and glue them in place but apparently that didn't work very well because they fell over during transport and I had to put them all back up again once I got to my daughter's house. Luckily I had my cake doctor kit with me to fix them. I think next I try to make the towers from fondant I will use pvc pipe as formers because the fondant stretched some as I tried to put on to the flexible paper towel tubes.

It was worth all the trouble though because the kids loved it. They were saying, "Oh look, there's the whomping willow tree" and "Hey, it's the black lake with the sea monster" and "oh, here's Gryffindor Tower". icon_biggrin.gif

vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 1:45pm
post #11 of 15

That is a neat cake - esp. since you didn't use a kit. I love that you included the tree and Harry. If your grandson is anything like my nephew, every detail counts! I love that you have a "cake doctor kit" - newbie that I am, I wouldn't have thought of that...

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 9:35pm
post #12 of 15

It's very nice!!! very good job!!!!

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 3:50am
post #13 of 15

Great job !! I found the castle cake kits daunting and you did this free hand. WOW !

Rainybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainybaby Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 12:13pm
post #14 of 15

I made something similar to this but used rice krispie treats for the towers. Mold them in empty pringles cans and cover in fondant. Attach with a wooden dowel to the side of the cake. HTH

JILBRY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JILBRY Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 3:15pm
post #15 of 15

GReat Job! I think I will try this now. You have given me courage.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%