Can I Do This?

Decorating By Cassie2500 Updated 17 Nov 2006 , 11:01am by playingwithsugar

Cassie2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie2500 Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 7

I am going to do a pumpkin cake for next week and am planning on using the poured fondant (first time to try). I read on the recipe to cover the cake with buttercream, then pour the fondant over. Can I just pour the fondant on without the buttercream? I am using a bundt pan to make the pumpkin (got the idea from here icon_smile.gif ) and I need to keep the lines in the cake to make the lines in the pumpkin. I'm afraid if I ice it with the buttercream I will lose the lines. Thanks for all of your help in advance!!!
icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

6 replies
thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 7

I could be wrong, but I think the bc helps the fondant adhere to the cake better. Maybe after you ice it with buttercream, you could just run your finger down the lines to ensure they will be visible with teh fondant poured over. Good luck! icon_wink.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 7

I have never heard of using buttercream under Poured fondant, only under rolled fondant. Please post the recipe.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:20pm
post #4 of 7

How about using a glaze like used on character cakes? Here is a glaze I was taught to use in a Wilton Class.
Apricot Glaze- Ideal for preparing a cake for fondant or for crumb-coating cakes before icing. http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/apricot.cfm?section=cake&subsection=icing&tertiary=icingrecipes

Hope this helps.

meghabyte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghabyte Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 7

Poured fondant can have a very translucent quality, which can let cake color and crumbs show through very easily. The buttercream would help hide some of that, instead of just making it stick like a glaze would do. But maybe pouring the fondant twice would make it thick enough to get good coverage? Just a thought.

Cassie2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie2500 Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 3:37am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmriga

I have never heard of using buttercream under Poured fondant, only under rolled fondant. Please post the recipe.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I got the recipe here at CC. It is called Quick Pour Fondant Icing. Just go to Icings, Frostings in the recipes and you should be able to find it.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 11:01am
post #7 of 7

Thanks.

T. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%