Just Wondering.... About This Group...stupid Idea?

Decorating By Jopalis Updated 19 Nov 2006 , 5:29am by knoxcop1

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 10:07pm
post #61 of 120

I had to stop tracking it in my e-mail....LOL! So many good ideas....

Jopalis Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 10:10pm
post #62 of 120

Heath replied...she will discuss with Jackie and get back to me....

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 10:10pm
post #63 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablksapphire

This is a wonderful idea...I'm in St. Louis, Missouri...I like the C.A.K.E.S. that was really cute!

Ahhh thanks icon_wink.gif

Jopalis Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 10:15pm
post #64 of 120

It is cute....

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 10:26pm
post #65 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath

I will talk this over with Jackie and see what she thinks.. if it should be integrated into CC or offsite.

I'll post here later with comments..

I think the logistics of Lic Bakers vs unlic bakers will be a nightmare!!

all the NATIONAL CAKE DELIVER SERVICES only use licenced bakers.

They don't use unlicenced home bakers. Sorry to be a party poop, but that has to be taken into consideration also.

I have done 2 cakes for cc members and I have been sent a pm with the requests and that worked out well for me.

you can view the web site for

CAKES ACROSS AMERICA for information

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 11:18pm
post #66 of 120

well if I don't charge it wouldn't be a problem would it? I mean as far as licenseing (not an einstien when it comes to spelling!)It would be like making a cake for a friend. Right?

sarzoemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarzoemom Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 11:33pm
post #67 of 120

I would love to do this too! I am in Richmond, VA.

Jopalis Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 12:23am
post #68 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfin

well if I don't charge it wouldn't be a problem would it? I mean as far as licenseing (not an einstien when it comes to spelling!)It would be like making a cake for a friend. Right?

That's what I thought.... just a voluntary thing...not a business.... but I am not a lawyer.... Someone on here might be....

tracy702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracy702 Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 12:35am
post #69 of 120

I LOVE IT!!! I would love to be a part of this. I live in Rolla, MO.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 12:39am
post #70 of 120

I think it is a wonderful idea. A matter of fact a friend of mines daugther is getting married in Savannah Ga. Not sure if they have the cake ordered yet but it would be a good referral to someone there.

jnf1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnf1 Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 12:55am
post #71 of 120

This is great. Coun me in. I live in Gastonia, NC

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 12:57am
post #72 of 120

I think on a freebie level of good deed doing this is a wonderful idea and way to get your name out there and for also for some to get practice. I agree that in charging it would turn into a legal nightmare. So maybe a daily/ weekly? listing of people willing to do a freebie- practice- favor- cake...and a list of people in need of one? Then if someone is thrilled and wants to compensate someone with a gift or not let them handle that off forum? I would be willing to help most anytime. This service would have been awesome for me a few months ago when I wanted to sent a little 6 in. square topper tier to someone in CA. from Alabama...as an anniversary tier...cost me 120.00 shipping just to make sure it got there in good shape during a July heatwave...thats not counting packaging materials. Etc.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:00am
post #73 of 120

I understand what you are trying to say and it sounds like a nice idea. But, have you ever tried grocery shopping for someone else? It seems even with a list you end up not getting the exact brand they wanted, or the produce isn't quite up to their standards? I see that happening with something like this as well. You may send someone an idea that you would like on a cake for Uncle Charlie and the finished cake may turn out to look more like something you would have ordered for Aunt Tillie. We all have our own individual styles and a picture in mind and it may just not be what someone else sees in their mind.

Jopalis Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:07am
post #74 of 120

I think you have to go into it knowing it is sort of a gift and not a paid order. I am hopeful that most folks would try to make a nice cake. If they want specifics they can go to a bakery.... in this case the focus is on "the thought"... with a nice little cake. If it were me, I would ask what the person had in mind and then tell them what I would be willing to do. You may be right, however, in that creating an expectation.... Maybe we should just know what we are willing to do up front and tell them. They could maybe pick cake flavor, colors, etc. I didn't mean this to be seen as a method to get a custom cake for free. Good things to consider though...thanks.

RisqueBusiness Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:21am
post #75 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

I understand what you are trying to say and it sounds like a nice idea. But, have you ever tried grocery shopping for someone else? It seems even with a list you end up not getting the exact brand they wanted, or the produce isn't quite up to their standards? I see that happening with something like this as well. You may send someone an idea that you would like on a cake for Uncle Charlie and the finished cake may turn out to look more like something you would have ordered for Aunt Tillie. We all have our own individual styles and a picture in mind and it may just not be what someone else sees in their mind.

Exactly, that's why CAKES ACROSS AMERICA has a "standard". Before you join they send you a sample picture of what they are looking for.

see this link:

http://www.cakesacrossamerica.com/our-types.aspx

and I still have a problem with unlic. bakers doing this...

and why would anyone want to provide the service for free? Just so someone can practice their skills? If I send my Uncle Charlie or my Elderly Mother a cake I would like to be safe in assuming that I am paying for the BEST decorator to provide a beautifully professional cake for a special occassion.

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:24am
post #76 of 120

Legality- if it's at no charge, it shouldn't be a problem. These aren't for biz, just for friends.

We have to realize this will be like everything else - you get what you paid for, EXCEPT the thoughts and love get passed around. It's better than a birthday card, right??? Good for everyone, if we remember it is done as a favor.

I agree - KISS. How about KISS cakes? for both the word and the acronym!

RisqueBusiness Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:31am
post #77 of 120

something that is not paid for is not appreciated and if it's done as "FAVORS" people have no legal oblication to fulfill the contract.

To many things can go wrong with this...am I the ONLY one that sees what a nightmare this can be??

If people want to order cakes for people that are living far away, I would rather hire a professional company similar to CAKES ACROSS AMERICA.

I would be comforable knowing that they would provide a consistant product every time.

But them I am approching this with a different point of view and I've already spent my 2 cents here...lol

just keep me informed!

Jopalis Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:36am
post #78 of 120

That's ok... it was just an idea.... I knew there must be some negative ramifications.... We need to hear all angles... Thank you for your 2 cents. Are you a licensed baker? What does that entail....

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:59am
post #79 of 120

I LOVE the idea of the honor system. MOST people will honor it. Once in a while something may go wrong, but why squash a wonderful, giving, sharing idea for the small chance that once in a while something won't be perfect? As far as the standards of the product and it living up to the expectations of the orderer....well, no one who is uptight about the exact design should participate in the first place....the cake is free (or really cheap) anyway. We can all see each others photos for sample work product and judge based on that. Plus, a LOT of us on here LOVE to have ANY reason to practice!!! I'm a serious newbie and need all of the practice that I can get.

I do agree with RisqueBusiness that this has potential to be a nightmare. BUT, it also has potential to be a wonderful program! If you are wary about it...just don't join the group. If you want to try it out...well...hats off to you!

I'm in!

Also, I like the idea of getting the first "favor" for free and then you have to give a "favor" to get another one. I have had someone PM me and asked me if they could have me make a cake for her son. He's stationed here at Fort Bragg and she wanted him to have a homemade cake. We haven't done it yet, but I would be MORE than happy to do it. First of all, it would help a fellow CCer, plus it would be supporting a REAL SOLDIER! It's no different than sending the random care packages with cookies, etc. overseas to Iraq. I'm sure that most of those packages don't come from licensed kitchens....and being an Army Brat/Ex-Army Wife, I KNOW the soldiers LOVE that kind of stuff....even if it doesn't look professional.

Sorry so long.....just my 2 cents!!

Derby Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:01am
post #80 of 120

I also have to add that MANY people appreciate things that are not paid for.

I DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:06am
post #81 of 120

I agree with you completely derby....as far as nobody appreciating a "freebie" or anything you didnt pay for...no disrespect to the previous person saying it but I totally disagree there....some of the most precious gifts I have ever known were unexpected random acts of kindness...sometimes from a stranger! I also agree that if it is a serious event cake big wedding etc...of course you wouldnt do it free..or prob not...but maybe you would consult with the cousin of someone that really couldnt afford a super nice wedding cake and do it cheap....or maybe free... ...you might not feel comfortable with this...but for just a homemade tasting cake delivered to your loved one on a birthday or something not life or death... for free in return you pay the favor forward!

It takes all kinds of opinions and types of people to make our world what it is.... some are of the Donald Trump mind and other of the mentality of mother Theresa...lol

Jopalis Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:09am
post #82 of 120

It just might not work out logistically for someone else to do a payback favor. I may be near to someone's relative or friend but they may not be near anyone..... Kind of tit for tat... That's why I said if I did it I would go in not expecting anything for it. Just an altruistic offer. Even collecting money for supplies or mileage might be a problem in some cases. Maybe the cake could be picked up and that person would pay.... Or just keep it cheap... and only if close by.... etc. etc. etc.

Derby Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:16am
post #83 of 120

What I thought about the get a favor and then do a favor before you get another favor.......the favors don't need to go back and forth between the same people:

Derby makes cake for Jane
Jane makes cake for Sue
Donna makes cake for Jane
Michelle makes cake for Derby

just totally random, but you're just not allowed to "get" a cake except for your first one and if you have "deposited" into the system.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:17am
post #84 of 120

[quote="Zmama"]Legality- if it's at no charge, it shouldn't be a problem. These aren't for biz, just for friends.

We have to realize this will be like everything else - you get what you paid for, EXCEPT the thoughts and love get passed around. It's better than a birthday card, right??? Good for everyone, if we remember it is done as a favor.

/quote]

My thoughts exactly, its more about the feeling. I know my son who is so far away would love getting a cake someone took the time to make(scratch or box) and deliver no matter what it looked like.

Jopalis Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:18am
post #85 of 120

You know...every Sunday there are artisans displaying their wares along Santa Monica Beach. In admiring some items, occasionally the vendor won't be able to take credit cards. Multiple vendors have offered the item to the person and then wait for payment. I brought a friend from NY who was visiting CA to this...she experienced just that with a lady selling her pottery. My friend was so shocked... her mouth hung open. We asked her if she ever got "stiffed" doing this and she said "you know I never have...". I'm sure she might some day but .... My glass is still half full. I am not in Fantasy Land though... I am an HR person by profession and I know there are all sorts of legal ramifications that make doing some things not worth it.... Even if nothing comes of this than knowing how many of you are out there wanting to give of yourselves...isn't that nice. Not trying to be overly sweet..... oh brother type.... If I give out half a dozen cakes and there is one bad apple recipient ...oh well. Also don't want to bring on unnecessary risks though.... Oye I am getting tired of talking about this today.... Later cake buds! Hey that would be cute name too.......bye...

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:20am
post #86 of 120

as far as $$$..

walmart gift card -- say $10 or so -- sent via snail-mail along w/ request, address and all that stuff.

(they also have an e-gift card)

---------

as far as listing...

well we already have a "cake decorating services" listing area up in the LINKS tab.

ShabbyChic_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:27am
post #87 of 120

I think is a great idea, my only concern would be abuse, you know sometimes people can take advantage of someone that doesn't know how to say no.

BTW Jopalis I used to live in Valencia, now I live in North San Bernardino.
May be we can have a cake club or something like that.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:28am
post #88 of 120

YEE HAW! I am in San Antonio, Texas and count me in! Some of the best presents I have received didn't cost anything. However, the thoughtfullness was worth a million.

Jenn1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn1978 Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 12:32pm
post #89 of 120

I would to give this a try! Im stationed here in San Diego and all of my family is on the east coast! I would love for my family to have a birtdhay cake other then a grocery store cake! YUCK! Please keep me posted!

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:15pm
post #90 of 120

What a nice idea. I would love to do this... but I am in Chennai India. Anyone have any expat relatives working here?
Karen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%