Sugar Free Questions

Decorating By shenninger Updated 17 Nov 2006 , 12:55pm by scott123

shenninger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shenninger Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 10

I hope someone has some information to help with my situation. I have done a couple sugar free cakes The cake portion taste pretty good. I use the recipe on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa container and sub Splenda for Baking for the sugar. I also add in a package of Sugar Free Instant Pudding. Anyway the frosting I have been using is good but not extremely stable. It is cream cheese, Sugar free instant pudding made up with a container of whipped topping (cool whip) folded in. It is really good... sort of mousse like. Anyway, the frosting doesn't set up at all. Does anyone have any recipes for sugar free frostings that will transport easily or is a little more stable? Would adding meringue powder help to stablize it? I would appreciate any suggustions. Thanks so much.

9 replies
shenninger Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 10

I am desperately bumping myself!!! Please help!!

milosmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milosmami Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 10

good one!
maybe some whipped up heavy cream with sf pudding??are you leaving them out for a time period??
I hope someone else can answer it as I have been looking forward to experimenting with SF baking
I think meringue powder would make it "crusty"....

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 10

have you looked on the diabetes websites? They have recipes - also the splenda website?

AmyKay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyKay Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 10

Well, it isn't completely sugar free, but has very little sugar - I found this recipe this morning while looking for an icing as well:

http://www.recipesource.com/baked-goods/desserts/cakes/diabetic/00/rec0024.html

I am making a cake for a girl in my office who is diabetic, and she said this should be find for her. HTH!

Delish-Design Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delish-Design Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 10

Have you tried the Sugar Free Cream Cheese Icing recipe from this site? I thing that if good, and sturdy.

shenninger Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:15pm
post #7 of 10

Okay... my last post sounded kinda bad and didn't realize it until now.

I haven't visited Splenda's website in a while. They have added several chocolate frosting recipes. I think I will try and make up some and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestions I probably wouldn't have gone back there if it weren't for the suggestion.

Oh... has anyone tried any of the recipes?????

scott123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scott123 Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 4:23am
post #8 of 10

Powdered maltitol or powdered isomalt works just like powdered sugar in buttercream, fondant, etc.

Btw, splenda for baking is 50% sugar, and thus, isn't sugar free.

fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 6:02am
post #9 of 10

My sister-in-law was diagnosed with diabetes about two weeks ago, so I've been reading a lot on what diabetics can and can't have. (She's been really sick so I'm sort of her personal chef for the time being.)

Anyway, splenda is ok for her to have. It's what's known as a "free" food that she can have without having to keep track of quantities. So, a recipe that uses Splenda (sucralose) may not be "sugar-free" but it is diabetic-friendly.

scott123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scott123 Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 12:55pm
post #10 of 10

Fronklowes, there are two distinct products being discussed here that I think you may not be differentiating between.

1. Splenda - Sucralose + maltodextrin. Diabetic friendly. Known as a 'free' food to most diabetics (some seek out maltodextrin free versions).

2. Splenda for Baking - Sugar (50%) + sucralose. Half the sugar of regular sugar. Questionable suitability for most diabetics. Definitely NOT a 'free' food.

Using half the sugar in baking is certainly a step in the right direction, but, for many of us, consuming that much sugar is entirely unacceptable. Trace carb impact and textural shortcomings aside, Splenda is suitable for discussion in a thread entitled 'Sugar Free Questions.' Splenda for Baking is not. Splenda for Baking would be more suited to a thread named 'Reduced Sugar Questions.'

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%