A Baby Shower Cake With No Pastel????

Decorating By mocakes Updated 15 Nov 2006 , 5:01pm by mgdqueen

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 26

My youngest sister is having a baby and wants me to do the cake for her shower...so I've been looking for ideas to make that perfect cake for her.

The other day she informed me she doesn't want the traditional pink, blue, sage green, etc, pastel colors. icon_confused.gif Do you know how hard it is to find a baby shower cake withOUT pastel colors????

What the heck am I supposed to do? I don't do fondant and I am completely clueless on what to do. She does love chocolate...but a chocolate cake doesn't seem to go with a baby shower theme!

I am counting on you guys! I know you will have that awesome idea I can't seem to come up with!

25 replies
chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 26

Well hun it is her baby shower. I have a cake in my photos that is well it does have some pastelee colors but in general it's not frou frou ish. It's tweety with some butterflies that my grandson helped me to paint with some purple roses to boot.
Not exactly bright green but not frou frou either.
Hope that helps.
So my idea being, ask what her fav cartoon character is and make a "baby" version of it and go from there.

mjoyce7020 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjoyce7020 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 26

Does she have a theme for the baby's room? what about Winnie the Pooh? I have done the 3-D Pooh cake for a baby shower and it was a big hit. Then just do a matching sheet cake depending on the number of people attending.....

kdhoffert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdhoffert Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 26

does she know what she's having?

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 26

What type of shower is it? Is there a theme that isn't baby? We just did a victorian tea shower for a girlfriend - the dark blue cake is in my photos. Not baby-ish at all.

Chocolate frosting with accents in vibrant colors would be very pretty!

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 26

why not just pick a baby shower cake you like, and change the colors to the darker versions. Plus, it's her day, if she wants chocolate...do chocolate. No one can complain because you gave the mom to be what she wanted.

ch0psuey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ch0psuey Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 26

I don't see the problem with doing chocolate. No one's going to see that until it's cut anyway. I did a baby shower cake back in June that was in primary colors because that's how they were decorating the baby's room. Everyone loved it.

Junecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Junecakes Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 26

I just did two baby showers one with chocolate brown and pink the other with blue. You can make the colors not so pastel-y. I don't have the pictures posted of the cakes but they turned out nice...if I do say so myself! icon_smile.gif One I used chocolate buttercream the other was with dark chocolate fondant (pettinice). HTH

jkjmoore79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jkjmoore79 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:04pm
post #9 of 26

You can just do a teddy bear with the stand-up bear pan or the wilton bear pan would work. Do the bear a light brown and put a white blanket with it. this way you can do chocolate icing and it still be cute. Hope this helped.

mocakes Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:04pm
post #10 of 26

Sorry...forgot a few details icon_redface.gif

No, she doesn't know what she is having and they just moved into a new house so they don't even know what theme they will do for the nursery.

She never suggested chocolate...I was just saying that she likes chocolate and that was all I had to go with at this point. I hope it didn't sound like I was complaining. icon_smile.gif ..I totally want to do what she wants as it is HER shower, not mine... icon_rolleyes.gif

However...I have never made a baby shower cake without using some sort of pastel color. That's why I was turning to the pros for some neat theme ideas.

I love the idea of the victorian tea party. My sister collects tea cups! See...I knew you guys would have great ideas!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:05pm
post #11 of 26

Chocolate....It's like a good pair of jeans...EVERYTHING looks good with it!

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:05pm
post #12 of 26
mocakes Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:09pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Chocolate....It's like a good pair of jeans...EVERYTHING looks good with it!

How true!!!

That is a neat cake, sweetviolent! Thanks for sharing!

Baking4Fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking4Fun Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:11pm
post #14 of 26

I like the pastel colors too but I recently went to a baby shower for a baby girl and everthing was done in red and blue with Raggedy Ann and Andy. It was super cute. Hope this helps! icon_wink.gif

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:13pm
post #15 of 26
Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:14pm
post #16 of 26

For decades everything baby was pastel. Rich primary colors became acceptable - why not red, blue, yellow?

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:17pm
post #17 of 26

Just an FYI - Michael's in our area has a huge assortment of tea cup stuff on clearance right now. Stationary, note cards, stickers, etc.

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:27pm
post #18 of 26

You could also do a "Secret Garden" theme with lots of green, bright flowers, and little baby animals half hidden in the garden.

kdhoffert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdhoffert Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:44pm
post #19 of 26

baby einstein is primary colors and is unisex. Bears, ducks, zoo animals, baby blocks, noah's ark, precious moments. Do a cake with bright buttons, rattles, bottles, etc. baby booties, onsie
here are some ideas you could just change the colors on: you could also do the animals in chocolate candy molds so you don't have to do fondant

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/yearbook/diaperdownpour.cfm

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos_display_12_-83467.html

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/babyshower/awitzywelcome.cfm

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/babyshower/babybear.cfm

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/babyshower/blanket.cfm

These will hopefully give you some ideas to make your own. HTH

mocakes Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:36pm
post #20 of 26

I loved the idea from CranberryClo about the tea party...and my sister collects tea cups and saucers. So I searched the site for cakes and came across this display for a bridal show. I think this would be adorable for a shower!
LL

mocakes Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:39pm
post #21 of 26

I loved the idea from CranberryClo about the tea party theme! icon_smile.gif After searching this site, I found this picture of a display someone used for a bridal expo. I love this!!! It is SO perfect for my sister!
LL

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:42pm
post #22 of 26

You definitely can do a great shower cake using primary colors. I know you said you don't do fondant, but you could do white buttercream and just make bright colored fondant stripes, or stars. Here is a website of one of my favorite cake designers Carol Fouts, check out each of these baby cakes. The one with the little crown prince could be made to look neutral so it could be for a boy or a girl. I love the cake in the top row with the little denim shoes too, lots of work but wanted to point it out because it is so adorable. The little fondant bugs she makes could be done in bright colors too and since they have no facial features, other than eyes they would be pretty easy to make.
http://www.thecakecorner.com/red_album_005.htm

And here is one I did for my niece when she was expecting her baby boy. Not that you might want to do this much work, but to show you primary colors on a baby cake.
LL

mocakes Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:42pm
post #23 of 26

I had to go back and check so I can give credit where credit is due...

This was from kylielam2005.

I love this! What do all think?

mocakes Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:44pm
post #24 of 26

So sorry for posting the pic twice! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

I didn't think it went through the first time...sorry!

tporbz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tporbz Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:54pm
post #25 of 26

Actually, the teacup ide looks lovely, especially as you say she really like teacups.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 5:01pm
post #26 of 26

I think since your sister collects teacups, it is a terrific idea! That will look really pretty and elegant, yet completely void of pastel "baby" things. Very nice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%