Wilton's Dyeable Bow

Decorating By NoviceBaker2 Updated 15 Nov 2006 , 5:03pm by Titansgold

NoviceBaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoviceBaker2 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 10

A lady called me for an emergency wedding cake her baker is very ill and has a family crisis to boot so she asked if I could do a small wedding cake 10in., 8in., and 6in. cake for this Saturday my dilemma is that she wants the dyeable Wilton cake bow done in pink yet I will not get the bow till Friday from her and have no idea what dying it takes has anyone ever done this before and could you give me some pointers. Thank you all in advance.

9 replies
Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 10

Are you talking about the fondant bow? Or is this some sort of fabric bow?

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 10

I have just dusted a bow with pink petal dust and got a beautiful soft pink look or you can take pink luster dust and mix it with clear vanilla and paint it on for a more solid color. Either way they are pretty.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 10

Someone posted recently about spray painting the bow. They had a picture of their cake and it was gorgeous. This would dry fast as well and make sure they know it is not edible.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 10

Hiya Novice and welcome to CC.
The Wilton ready made bow is dyeable or you can dust colors onto it. But be aware that it is not edible. It is made from paper paste and not gumpaste. Same with their floral sprays.

NoviceBaker2 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 10

What products do you guys use to dye the bows with? What kind of dust colors do you use and were do you get them? What is dust colors? The bow is not fabric but is non-edible. How do you put the dust on the bow with a brush? How do you dye the bow and what do you use to dye it with? Sorry so many questions yet this is so totally new to me. Again, thanks in advance! You guys are great! icon_biggrin.gif

NoviceBaker2 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:42pm
post #7 of 10

Does anybody know how to dye the entire bow? Thanks!

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:50pm
post #8 of 10

On one of the Food Network Challenges, Bronwyn Weber was dying gumpaste flowers by taking them and dipping the entire thing into a cup of coloring, which I'm sure was gel mixed with either vodka, everclear, or lemon extract (it looked like the same consistency as what you would use to "paint" on cakes with). Maybe you could dry a little piece of gumpaste (like the bow will be) and dip it in some color to see if it works before you try it on the bow. Otherwise, if you have access to a Home Depot, you could pick of the Preval Sprayer (like Duff used on his Jay Leno cake) and mix some color and spray it on (like airbrushing, without the $200 system). Or if worse comes to worse, you can just mix some "paint" to paint it yourself.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 10

I believe in the box the instructions will tell you how to dye the bow.That is the wilton one!!

Titansgold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Titansgold Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 5:03pm
post #10 of 10

I think you could do something really pretty with just some luster dust and alcohol. Might take a little longer than spraying it, but I think the outcome would be worth it. You can get the dusts at places that are specifially for decorating pastries or just Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%