Bakery Supply Warehouse Business

Business By wendydou Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 9:56pm by CNCS

wendydou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendydou Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 10:28am
post #1 of 27

has anyone here ever started a supply house for decorators??? Seems like it's all talk about decorating businesses.. but I"m finding there's only one place to go for supplies in Mass... at least in my area... how do I go about researching starting a warehouse????

Wendy

26 replies
cookiesup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiesup Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 10:56am
post #2 of 27

Gotta say, I have been thinking the same thing Wendydou! Would love to hear if anyone has done it? icon_rolleyes.gif

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 10:59am
post #3 of 27

Well for starters, a warehouse requires a lot of space and up front monies for inventories.
You might start smaller by becoming a distributor zeroing in on one aspect...say the consumables and as you go add other lines such as pans and boards etc... High ratio shortening might be a place to start.... buy in large containers and repackage to smaller ones for consumer use. I'd check with a few of the manufacturers to see what kinds of quantities are required for you to get distributor pricing.

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 11:02am
post #4 of 27

I don't have one but the place I get my supplies combined her supply business with her cake business. She has just expanded to add a lunch counter and cases with bakery items. My thought would be do your research and if it looks feasable GO FOR IT.

slent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slent Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 27

Hi Wendy, I live north of Boston and the only place I know of is in Hooksett, NH. I wish I knew of supply place around here.

mariannedavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariannedavis Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 27

I'm also North of Boston (Gloucester) and I'd LOVE a place to shop for supplies! Right now I buy everything online or at AC Moore because I have no other options. Also, I don't really need 50 lbs. of Sweetex and 500 cake boxes, so the option of buying 5 lbs. of fat and 10 cake boxes would be great.

I've heard there's a place in Hanover for supplies...has anyone been there?

Marianne

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 2:05pm
post #7 of 27

I too am from north of Boston and would love to have a supply house for quality items in this area.
Good luck and make sure to let us know when you open your business. We're rooting for you! icon_smile.gif

Here's my e-address so you can drop me a line:
[email protected]

wendydou Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 5:18pm
post #8 of 27

Where north of Boston are you all?? I'm in Beverly..

cakes47 Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 5:26pm
post #9 of 27

I'm from North Reading and I see that ''mariannedavis'' is from Gloucester.
I think we have a memeber in Groveland or Georgetown, can't remember which, maybe both!! icon_smile.gif
How about you north of Boston cake people, where are youuuuuuuuuu???

slent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slent Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 5:33pm
post #10 of 27

Even though i'm more of a cookie person and not a cake person I'm from Methuen.

ladyhawk1nlm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyhawk1nlm Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 5:42pm
post #11 of 27

Hi all I live here south of Boston and there is a store in Hanover, I go all the time...It's Lorraine's here is the link. http://www.lorrainescakesupply.com/about.htm, her prices are good, and if you need questions answered she loved to help...

cakes47 Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 5:53pm
post #12 of 27

ladyhawk1nlm ~ the link isn't working!!

ladyhawk1nlm Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 6:21pm
post #13 of 27

Mabe this one might work
http://www.lorrainescakesupply.com
i hope it will... this is the info on the store... www.lorrainescakesupply.com
148 Broadway Hanover MA 781-826-2877..Maybe one of these will work.. lol..

cakes47 Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 6:30pm
post #14 of 27

Thanks!! Both those links worked!!
I like that they offer all those handmade Australian pans in all sorts of shapes.

ladyhawk1nlm Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 6:35pm
post #15 of 27

Yeah, the store is like walking into a friends house thats how they make you feel...Lorraine likes it when ppl bring in pic's of thier cakes...I was looking for a motorcycle pan (had to have the v-twin motor..DH orders not that i listen lol) she helped me with finding other stores that might have it...

cakes47 Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 6:41pm
post #16 of 27

One of these days before the snow flies, I'll just have to take a drive down that way.

mariannedavis Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 7:42pm
post #17 of 27

Thanks, Lady Hawk, I'm going to make a trip this week sometime! I need to get some Satin Ice for an upcome cake and don't want to pay shipping. I also need cake drums for the same project.

Is anybody going to the ICES day of sharing on Sept 30th? It's the only thing I know of that gathers cake, cookie, sugar artists together in the Massachusetts area.

Marianne

cakes47 Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 7:50pm
post #18 of 27

mariannedavis ~ Where is this event taking place and the time, please?

ladyhawk1nlm Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 2:17am
post #19 of 27

Yes do tell..I have heard nothing about it...

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 5:17pm
post #20 of 27

I'm no where near your area.

But my supply shop owner started her cake business then started doing supplies as well. It just grew and grew from there. She bought a house and just put supplies there and started teaching cake classes upstairs in one of the old bedrooms. They have since added a HUGE expansion and now have a larger room dedicated to cake classes. She supplies not only pans and all that, but also perishable things like icing base and vanilla. Everything you need. I think she said one of the issues is having to legally label everything when it comes to people consuming things. All ingredients have to be on labels and there's a lot of work involved in those things.

If you have a place that you could easily renovate to fit supplies in then go for it. You could always look at businesses closing that are selling of fixtures and things.

mariannedavis Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 10:32pm
post #21 of 27

I am a brand new ICES member so I don't know the rules about bringing guests, etc., but I can only imagine that they would really like to have visitors (prospective ICES memebers) come to the meetings. Here's the info and a contact person. She'll know what the guest/visitor policy is.

It's on Sunday, September 30, 2007 at 12:00 - 4:00 p.m.

Truly Jorg's, 124 Broadway, Route 1N, Saugus, MA 01906.

The local contact is Roz (781) 581-1034

I'd LOVE to see some of my fellow CCers there! If anyone speaks to Roz and is going on the 30th, please let me know so that I can say "hello" and introduce myself. ---Marianne

wendydou Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 11:52am
post #22 of 27

I contacted Truly Jorgs and they knew nothing about this show..

ok.. since I've been thinking about opening a warehouse supply space or something along those lines- what would you like to see and be able to buy in a cake decorating supply house???

anyone have any idea how to start?? LOL

Wendy

cakes47 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 12:01pm
post #23 of 27

Hi Wendy ~ Don't have a clue how to start, but if possible I would try to offer different shaped pans. Not like those of Wilton.
ie: triangle, tear drop, conture, etc. Impression mats are always nice.
Hope to hear from a lot others!!!
Joyce icon_smile.gif

kcjc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcjc Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 12:29pm
post #24 of 27

Hi everyone, I'm formaerly from Worcester/Auburn Ma. Moved to NC almost 2 yrs & loving it. I was into cakes in the early 70's along w/crafts & painting.I persued the painting hence I know a lot of woodcraft etc supply houses..RI etc but can't help w/cake. I've been thinking on the same lines here for supplies & wonder if I could do it here. Extra bedroom & garage (sorry hubby). I can't seem to find any wharehouses esp for those heavy items as sweetex etc. I've inquired at our local food lion & lowes grocery for supplies but they don't use those brands in thier bakery.I've googled various ways..I'm from Holly Springs. Any NCarolinians have any suggestions ? Would you be interested in purchasing from say a local distributor? or do you know of any? I have been to United Resturant supply in Raleigh..sorry for the length. Thanks for this thread. Karen

mariannedavis Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 2:46pm
post #25 of 27

I'm with KCJC, I want a place to pick up my heavy and big items, e.g., Sweetex, bucket of fondant, large cake drums. I also love the new designer cake boxes, but I have to buy them in packs of 100; I don't want 100 until I see them and decide if I really like them. I'd happily travel to a supply store to browse boxes!

Wendy, I'm not sure what the deal is with Jorg's place. Sorry.

wendydou Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 8:30pm
post #26 of 27

HI all!
I got the ball rolling and am starting my supply business! I need your help! What do you want me to stock??? I"m still a couple weeks away from actually being "in biz", but I need ideas on what would sell so I don't use up what little capitol I have on stuff no one wants!!!

I'm in Beverly, MA and if you want to be on a mailing list or if you want to join my cake club that I started, email me directly -- [email protected] also if you have suggestions or questions!!!

THanks for the ideas.. I"m hoping this works out well for me and you guys too and I"m really excited to be able to get my hands on stuff for baking cakes that the "retail stores" don't carry!!!!

Wendy

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 9:56pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Quote:

buy in large containers and repackage to smaller ones for consumer use.

You will need a repackers permit from the health dept to do that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%