My Own Cake Disaster Story

Decorating By RitzyFritz Updated 21 Nov 2006 , 2:12pm by CakesBySandy

RitzyFritz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RitzyFritz Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:29am
post #1 of 24

I have heard every cake decorator has to have a moment like this. My moment arrived today. I made 2 cakes for a dessert auction at our church. I had just finished decorating it and was putting it in the refrigerator when it slipped from my hand and....well, you can see the end result. Needless to say, the auction was minus a chocolate cake! I wanted to cry but did refrain. It is a little funny now that I think back on it. Does this mean that I am now immune to cake disasters since I have had my "moment?" LOL!!! Boy, what a dream, right? LOL!
LL

23 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:33am
post #2 of 24

I'm sorry this happened to you but that cake looks DEVINE! MMM MMM MMM MMM MMMM!!!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:34am
post #3 of 24

Ewwww! It looked like it was sooo good! I am sorry it happened. We do all have it happen. Mine happend early on and hope it never ever happens again.

RitzyFritz Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:39am
post #4 of 24

It was VERY tasty!!! Probably the most elegant looking cake I have ever done too...I was disappointed...but hey, don't cry over spilled milk...er cake, right?

By the way, the ganache I used on this cake was SOOO good! I ate so much I made myself literally sick. Wow....The recipe I used is from this site. It is below along with the link to the cake where I got the idea.

Fudgy Ganache
1 bag semi-sweet chips,
1 stick unsalted butter,
1/2 tsp salt,
1/3 cup of light corn syrup,
1/2 can of sweetened condensed milk and
1/2 jar of smucker's fudge topping.
Melt together and spoon over cake.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=favpics&cat=0&pos=-33890

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 11:32am
post #5 of 24

Wow sorry for your mishap but the cake looks so yummy and gooey and chocolatey even in its mish mash stete.

Think I'm gonna have to make a chocolate cake this evening....

cheers
Jan

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 11:41am
post #6 of 24

I'm sorry this happened to you. It looks like you use the same cake turntable that I use. That thing is very slippery. What I do is I bought some of that no-slip shelf stuff (I don't know it's name. I bought it at WalMart). I put that on my turntable and the cakes don't slip any more. I don't know if that was why your cake slipped but if it was then you should give my technique a try. It'll never happen again icon_smile.gif

Lazy_Susan

RitzyFritz Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 11:44am
post #7 of 24

Hi, Susan...yes, it is slick but that wasn't the culprit. I was transferring it from the turntable to the refrigerator and it just slipped right out of my hand. icon_cry.gif

I do have some of that stuff you are talking about. I will put it to use. Sounds like it would be good for the other slipping problems when the turntable is in use. Thanks!!

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 11:47am
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitzyFritz

Hi, Susan...yes, it is slick but that wasn't the culprit. I was transferring it from the turntable to the refrigerator and it just slipped right out of my hand. icon_cry.gif

I do have some of that stuff you are talking about. I will put it to use. Sounds like it would be good for the other slipping problems when the turntable is in use. Thanks!!

You're welcome icon_biggrin.gif

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 11:58am
post #9 of 24

I was afraid that would happen to me so...........I bought a gardening glove that has rubber ridges on the palm. I put that on and use that hand to slide under the cake to carry it. If I get icing on it I throw into the washing machine.

RitzyFritz Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 12:03pm
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEFONDANT

I was afraid that would happen to me so...........I bought a gardening glove that has rubber ridges on the palm. I put that on and use that hand to slide under the cake to carry it. If I get icing on it I throw into the washing machine.

What a clever idea! Thanks for sharing!!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 12:14pm
post #11 of 24

Sooo sorry. That is probably one of the greatest fears. It is all too easy to have something slip out of your hands. I love the idea of the gardening glove with the ridges, anything to reduce to risk. (At least, you got to enjoy some wonderful cake. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif)

o0lilnikki0o Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
o0lilnikki0o Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 11:31am
post #12 of 24

well.. if it helps i still wanna eat it off the floor!!!!!!! and most choco cakes dont look that yummy to me icon_biggrin.gif lol

amazing how one off a floor looks so delicious!!!

RitzyFritz Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 4:52pm
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0lilnikki0o

well.. if it helps i still wanna eat it off the floor!!!!!!! and most choco cakes dont look that yummy to me icon_biggrin.gif lol

amazing how one off a floor looks so delicious!!!

This made me laugh!! Thanks for the laugh...I needed it! thumbs_up.gif

Titansgold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Titansgold Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 5:03pm
post #14 of 24

Sorry your cake bit it, but naturally that means that the cake gods have tested you and know that you have learned your lesson, so I won't happen again. Right? icon_lol.gif

RitzyFritz Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 5:06pm
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titansgold

Sorry your cake bit it, but naturally that means that the cake gods have tested you and know that you have learned your lesson, so I won't happen again. Right? icon_lol.gif

Well, I'm hoping that the good Lord will at least watch over me to prevent this from happening again! LOL!! Hopefully I'm now 'immune' to cake accidents. LOL! Sounds like a nice dream, doesn't it? thumbs_up.gif

GolfAddict Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GolfAddict Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 5:07pm
post #16 of 24

Hey RitzyFritz~

How does this ganache recipe differ from the usual ganache with just choc and cream?

Is the consistency different? Does it harden? Is it easier to work with? Is it more rich tasting?

Sorry to bombard you with questions. I have to do a grooms cake this weekend, and I was going to pour ganache over it. I usually use the standard recipe but thought I might change it up.

Thanks, B

RitzyFritz Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 5:24pm
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfAddict

Hey RitzyFritz~

How does this ganache recipe differ from the usual ganache with just choc and cream?

Is the consistency different? Does it harden? Is it easier to work with? Is it more rich tasting?

Sorry to bombard you with questions. I have to do a grooms cake this weekend, and I was going to pour ganache over it. I usually use the standard recipe but thought I might change it up.

Thanks, B

1. I couldn't tell you the difference, as this is the first time for me. I will tell you, it is absolutely delicious!! As in my first post, I ate so much it make me sick! LOL!

2. It doesn't "harden" but does firm up to have like a "tacky" feel to it. It does hold its shape and stay in place when dried but is still slightly gooey (not runny) when cut.

3. I thought it was very easy to work with! I just melted and poured. I really think next time I will cover the entire cake (on this one I did the "running down" look) to make it more elegant looking. I did NOT cool it and whip it for piping as I have seen some say about ganache before, so can't advise you on that.

Be sure to let me know how it turns out if you decide to use this recipe. It is really good. I don't think you will be disappointed.

GolfAddict Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GolfAddict Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 5:29pm
post #18 of 24

Thanks for the tips...you had me at "tacky" icon_smile.gif

That might be better for my cake since I have to transport it, and I wouldn't have to worry about it running as much.

RitzyFritz Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 5:33pm
post #19 of 24

I think you will like this. It does take it a bit to "tacky" up so be sure to give it some time (maybe 20 minutes? Can't remember the exact time).

Good luck to ya!!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 6:09pm
post #20 of 24

Oh, I am so sorry that happened. I know the feeling, it has happened a few times to me as well. I had a darling cake made for my granddaughters 18th birthday and it tipped over in the car, I made a grab for it and took out the whole side. Could have cried.

RitzyFritz Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 6:31pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

Oh, I am so sorry that happened. I know the feeling, it has happened a few times to me as well. I had a darling cake made for my granddaughters 18th birthday and it tipped over in the car, I made a grab for it and took out the whole side. Could have cried.

Oh no! I think I WOULD have cried! Wow...well, I'm sorry it happened to YOU. icon_wink.gif

Guess we all have our stories to tell, don't we.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 9:32pm
post #22 of 24

That sticks, sweetie! icon_cry.gif I know I've had my share of 'em! icon_confused.gif I hope you at least ate the cake. And if it makes you feel any better...I totally woulda bought it, just so I could eat it! I'm hungry for chocolate cake myself now...I never make it for the house cuz DH doesn't like chocolate cake. icon_rolleyes.gif (Said in a nasaly, mocking way.) DOESN'T LIKE CHOCOLATE CAKE...MOVE OVER BABY...I'LL EAT YOUR SHARE!!! icon_twisted.gif

bethanne73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethanne73 Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 2:07pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Susan

I'm sorry this happened to you. It looks like you use the same cake turntable that I use. That thing is very slippery. What I do is I bought some of that no-slip shelf stuff (I don't know it's name. I bought it at WalMart). I put that on my turntable and the cakes don't slip any more. I don't know if that was why your cake slipped but if it was then you should give my technique a try. It'll never happen again icon_smile.gif

Lazy_Susan

I LOVE that stuff! I had some place mats made of the same material, and was having a problem with slipping, so I cut up one of the place mats lol, and it worked like a charm!!! It's also great to put your eggs on, they wont roll off the counter!!

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 2:12pm
post #24 of 24

Ritzy, if the cake didn't hit the floor, make a trifle out of it. Take a tall glass dish, crumble of some of the cake for the first layer, add choc pudding, then add more of the crumbled cake, another layer of pudding...keep going and top with a blob of whipped cream, then add a cherry.

Viola...a gourmet dessert.

Sandy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%