Cupcakes Sank

Decorating By Cakerer Updated 16 Sep 2007 , 5:09am by katwomen1up

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 4:23am
post #1 of 10

Does anyone know why my cupcakes look beautiful when I take them from the oven but shrivel and sink when they cool?

9 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 4:29am
post #2 of 10

can you give us some more information?

What flavor?
Is it box or scratch?

First thing I would check is the temperature of your oven, if it is off and your cupcakes are not cooking correctly then it can happen.

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 4:32am
post #3 of 10

It was a DH chocolate mix but I seem to have this problem frequently. Added a box of pudding and extra egg. The cupcake crowns look nice and plump when they come out of the oven but as they cool, they shrink back down - almost flat. I'd prefer them to have a bit of a crown like they did while baking.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 5:32am
post #4 of 10

do you also have this problem when you use the recipe for cake? or only cupcakes?

have you checked the temperature of your oven with an oven thermometer?

texasbecky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasbecky Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 6:05am
post #5 of 10

I had the same problem -- only when I added pudding -- and it turned out I wasn't baking them long enough. I read a thread on this topic and someone said to bake them longer. I let them cook an additional 3-4 minutes and it took care of the problem. I wish I could give the CC's credit who gave this advice. Good luck.

Nikki_B Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki_B Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 1:12pm
post #6 of 10

Not enough egg/too low quality of an egg can be something that contributes to this, too- make sure you're getting Grade AA eggs!

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 1:20pm
post #7 of 10

Nikki_B, that's interesting. I have the problem with the cupcakes all the time no matter what flavor. Use the same batter from a cake and the majority of them sink. I turned up the temp and let them bake longer. still didn't help for some, some it did. I by my eggs bulk at Costco I'll have to try eggs from the grocery store. They are all grade AA though.

Kat

lovescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovescakes Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 1:31pm
post #8 of 10

maybe you're overbeating the mix.

Nikki_B Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki_B Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 1:40pm
post #9 of 10

Eggs deteriorate over time, Katwoman1up, so even if you buy AA eggs they'll eventually deteriorate down to B and within a few weeks or so, generally.

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 5:09am
post #10 of 10

Thanks Nkki_B, I'll make sure I by the latest date. I use them pretty fast most of the time. I will surley keep this in mind though.

Lovescakes, my cakes turn out fine and a lot of the time they are from the same batch. ??? Don't know, I'll give it a try though (shorter mixing time) and see what happens.

Kat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%