Royal Icing Help Needed!!!

Decorating By OhMyGoodies Updated 15 Nov 2006 , 8:23pm by BJ

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 12:58am
post #1 of 15

Ok gang Well I searched and didn't find any thing I'm sure it's here but I couldn't find it icon_sad.gif

I started making these blasted snowflakes tonight that I've been talking about for the last week lol.

I've made a batch of RI by following the "recipe" included in the Merange power can and I have TONS and I mean TONS left over. I have the 3 mixing bowl set from Wilton.... the RI is in the smallest bowl... it's 3/4 of the way full still!!! I've made I think 6-7 snowflakes and my hand is cuput! Not to mention I can't do it with the kids home so I'm hoping to tackle it some more tomorrow during school time lol.

Ok so here are my questions!!!!

1. How do I store the FINISHED snowflakes? (be as exact as possible please)
2. How do I store the UNUSED portion of my Royal Icing? (so that I can re-use it later)
3. How long does the UNUSED portion last when stored this way?

Ok I think that's it lol. I'm really sorry to make yall repeat yourselves so much but what can I say I'm a blonde and have many many blonde moments which is why I need to ask yall to be as exact and precise as possible when explaining to me icon_sad.gif I'm really sorry.

I love yall CC aholoics!!!! Thanks again! Becky

14 replies
knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:01am
post #2 of 15

To store the FINISHED snowflakes, just place them in a cake box in a cool, dry place where they won't get broken!

To store the LIQUID royal icing, place saran wrap on top of the icing, directly. That's to keep it from forming a "skin."

I'm not sure how long it's good...sorry on that one. icon_redface.gif

--Knox--

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:03am
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGoodies

1. How do I store the FINISHED snowflakes? (be as exact as possible please)
2. How do I store the UNUSED portion of my Royal Icing? (so that I can re-use it later)
3. How long does the UNUSED portion last when stored this way?

1. Let them dry fully, and then put them in an airtight container, and store in a cool, dry place, NOT in the refrigerator. It is best to keep them out of direct light, although with white snowflakes, it isn't as critical, because they won't fade. (Major run-on sentence!)

2. Just store it at room temperature. Cover the RI in the bowl with plastic wrap, and then put the lid on the bowl over the plastic wrap. (Keeps it from drying out.) You'll probably want to remix it and adjust thickness with confectioner's sugar when you use it again.

3. I have heard all sorts of figures, but I throw it away after about a month.

RP

Joy2501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joy2501 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:04am
post #4 of 15

Don't know how to store the snowflakes. but you can store unused RI in a ziploc type container with cling wrap pressed down on it first so that no air reaches the icing. I have kept it for more that a month, but you have to beat it pretty well after that to reconstitute it. Otherwise make some flower to keep for some other time.

Daniellemhv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniellemhv Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:06am
post #5 of 15

Oh I know.......

Finished Keep in an airtight container for up to a year

Put the leftover royal icing in a glass mason jar, cover with suran wrap, cover with mason jar cap.

Royal icing can be kept in cupboards or other cool dry places for about 2 weeks.

Thats what my instructor told me.

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:10am
post #6 of 15

I store my RI in on eof those Glad plastic containers. I put plastic wrap directly on top of the icing, and then put the airtight lid on. I have kept it for up to 3 weeks, and after that it starts to look funky to me, so I get rid of it.
I can't believe you got so much from one recipe! always follow the Wilton recipe, and it never seems to make enough for me! I ALWAYS have to make a double batch.
I woudl store your snowflakes in some kind of cardboard box but NOT airtight. I have had flowers I made get soft from keeping them in an airtight container.

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:30am
post #7 of 15

Here is a direct link from "Baking 911" http://www.baking911.com/decorating/cakes_royalicing.htm
Hope it helps! I only store in an airtight container for about 2 or 3 weeks because it is best used if fresh. I just don't like anything that has been sitting for awhile.

OhMyGoodies Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:32am
post #8 of 15

Thanks so much ladies!!! I knew yall CCadicts would come thru for me icon_biggrin.gif as usual lol icon_wink.gif I just hope one day I can repay yall in some way for all the help you've given me. I grabbed the bowl yanked the top off and cut some "saran wrap" and stuck it ontop the icing.

Now one thing I did notice, while I was piping I had the bowl covered with a damP paper towel to keep it from getting dried out, someone said to do that the other day I think. Anyway, when I went to mix it before closing it up I noticed a slight sheen on the spatula like it was watery or something... could that be because it was a rubber spatula? or maybe it had some crisco stuck in it from prior use (yes we wash in the dishwasher to boot but I know food can settle in and never come back out of certain types of stuff) I dunno it didn't seem to mess anything up and the finished snow flakes are harden-ing as we speak, I was able to lay the others ontop, devided with wax paper, after the first layer in the pan dried so there are 3 layers on top of each other divided with wax paper.... everything seems fine I just wasn't sure about that wet look on the spatula. icon_smile.gif

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:44am
post #9 of 15

I think your fine with that wet look. Sometimes after sitting, the royal icing seems more wet on top. Just mix it up really well after it has been sitting and it is fine. Let's say that there was water on the spatula, a few drops would not hurt the royal icing. If your icing by some change get's more water in it than needed, just add a little more powdered sugar until you get back to that consistency. icon_smile.gif

OhMyGoodies Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:49am
post #10 of 15

Thanks so much!!!! Hopefully all will work out alright lol I'm hoping they don't break when I remove then from the wax paper in a few days but if so I have enough left over to make more lol

Daniellemhv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniellemhv Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 6:42am
post #11 of 15

another thing my instructor told me is to NEVER use plastic! No Plastic and definitely No Grease! I couldn't really tell you why but.....

Thats why she told us to use glass mason jars.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 6:51am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniellemhv

another thing my instructor told me is to NEVER use plastic! No Plastic and definitely No Grease! I couldn't really tell you why but.....

Thats why she told us to use glass mason jars.

I suspect that she was afraid that the plastic would have traces of grease, as that is not unusual with plastic containers that have been used to cook or hold greasy foods, or even that have been washed in the same sink with really greasy dishes.

I use plastic containers that are just for RI, and have never had a problem.

RP

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 12:20pm
post #13 of 15

If you have any doubts about something being greasy or having any residue, wash it in dawn direct foam and REALLY hot water and that should rid it of any residue or grease. I use this to clean my tips, spatulas and all featherweight bags and have never had a grease contamination problem with anything washed in it. Just a helpful hint for those dabbling with ri this season. thumbs_up.gif

OhMyGoodies Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:09pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks gang! I truely appreciate all the lil secret tips and hints yall hold in your pretty lil heads icon_biggrin.gif

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:23pm
post #15 of 15

You can use plastic for storing RI but it must be used exclusively for RI only. No other food should be put in it unless you don't plan on using it for storing RI anymore. Same goes for utencils used for RI if plastic. I have a complete set of measuring cups, spoons, and spatula only used for RI. It's just too much work to let there be any chance of grease ruining my icing. Better safe than sorry. As for leaving it out - If I know I'm going to be using it within 2 weeks - I've left it out in a cool dark place for safe keeping. If I've got leftover and don't plan on using anytime soon - I've frozen it! I've had it frozen for up to 2 months - taken it out - let it come to room temp and re-whipped it and it's been fine. Another CC member turned me on to this "freezing" technique and I was skeptical icon_eek.gif but not anymore. Works great thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%