I Need Help Asap....

Decorating By Moria76 Updated 15 Sep 2007 , 12:15am by lisascakes

Moria76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moria76 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 6

IM making a wedding cake for tomorrow and the bottom tier just fell apart on me. Its a 16in square and I was trying to flip the top layer over and it fell into a million pieces. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif How on earth do the rest of you do it so that it does not fall apart?

5 replies
krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 6

Ok, relax. Take a deep breath... let it out slowly. You can't "unbreak" the layer so don't panic. What's done is done. You can try to re-bake another 16", if you have time.

When I flip or move mine, I use a semi-flexible cutting board-it's a lousey cutting board, but great for moving large-ish breakable stuff like cake. Also, if you have a cookie sheet without sides, you could use that, if it's big enough. Or I've used a cake board - an extra one that I don't "need."

nmartin7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nmartin7 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 6

Since you'll have to bake yours again, do you have two pieces of cardboard to sandwich it between. You can flip it over like that and then "scoot" it off the bottom. I freeze mine which makes them easier but I still use cardboard an awful lot. HTH

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 6

You can also cut the top 14" in half and place them side by side on the bottom layer, would be much easier! I did a 16" square for a groom's cake I did and the sides feel apart! I was able to patch it together, but man I wish I had thought of cutting it in half first!! Would've made my life so much easier!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 6

was it a full layer that you were putting on the cake or was it a layer that you had torted?

Either way I always move my cakes aroung either frozen or chilled well, it helps keep them a little sturdier.

If it was a layer you torted, once you cut the layer in two then you can slide a cookie sheet or cake board between the torted layers, then you can just slide it off of the board back onto the filling when you are ready.

So sorry this happened to you, is there anyway you can piece it back together?

lisascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisascakes Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 12:15am
post #6 of 6

put it in the freezer until it is solid enough to move with no problem

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%