Help! I Can't Decide On Colors...

Decorating By mamacc Updated 14 Nov 2006 , 8:10pm by mamacc

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 6

I'm doing a small topsy turvy cake(2 tier) for tommorrow and for color preferences the customer asked for red & gold, or cream with pastel. The cake is a music theme for a small get together she is having. I was planning on going with red and gold but now I keep second guessing myself. I'm not sure if it will look good...or be too much gold. I was going to cover both tiers with red fondant. On the side of the bottom tier I'm going to put gumpaste music notes going around it. I was planning on putting gold stripes going vertically down the top tier. Then, I made a gumpaste treble clef that is going to be standing up on the top tier. So...what do I put for a border around the bottoms of the tiers?? Just a gold strip...or something else? Is it going to a be gold overload? LOL

What do yout think???

Thanks!
Courtney

5 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 6

I think it sounds like it will be gorgeous!! Are you talking gold as in gold luster dust or as in....a dark yellow frosting??? If it's luster dust you're doing I think it will look amazing!!! Maybe you could just roll up some fondant pearls and roll them around in gold luster dust to put around the bottoms of the tiers! I think your idea sounds wonderful!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 6

Red and Gold would be more sophisticated and besides the holidays are nearing. I would go with the red.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 6

Pastels are Spring colors isn't it ?

It's Fall almost Christmas, so I think reds and golds are very
fitting to the season... icon_smile.gif

SugaryGoodness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaryGoodness Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 6

I say go with the red and gold!!! I also agree if it is gold luster dust it will be great and ball rolled in luster dust around the bottom.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 6

Ok, thank you!! I feel better now. I was thinking red and gold from the beginning, but you know how it is sometimes... icon_confused.gif

Yes, I meant painted with gold luster dust. I just wish I had an airbrush for the red fondant!!! I almost went and got a preval sprayer today but didn't know where I could get airbrush colors locally. Unfortunately I don't have an airbrush...yet.

Also, I was thinking of making some music notes on wires to float around the treble clef on the top. So, if I insert the wire into a straw in the cake, won't you be able to see the hole from the straw on the top of the cake? Has anyone tried dipping the end of the wire in chocolate?

Thanks so much for answering all my questions!
Courtney

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%